To AS5 or not to AS5

Hey guys I got my processor last week and the heat sink came with the thermal compound pad on it. Will I be better off removing it and using Arctic silver 5? I bought the AMD X4 BE 965 125 watt Box.
    Pete

Re: To AS5 or not to AS5

from what readings I have gotten from hear over the years, yes remove it and use the AS5, if it has already been installed and ran, you will need to completly clean the heatsink with a cleaner like artic silver sells as the "pad or whatever was applied on the heatsink" will fill in the microscopic cracks and crevasse's on the heatsink, that is if you want to get the best results after you apply the AS5.

I only use white thermal paste and put paste in the middle of CPU and then spread all of it very thinner that usual cooler and easier to remove if you want to upgrade new CPU - if too much paste it will stick much harder.

The stock paste is not a pad, but good thermal paste, ShinItsu?

You can change it if you want, follow the ArcticSilver directions at their site.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I have 3 of Servisol white paste (25g) and size of toothpaste and it quite good one i put in the middle then spread all of very thinner. I got it from online for about 1.25 for 3 in total.

I have 3 of Servisol white paste (25g) and size of toothpaste and it quite good one i put in the middle then spread all of very thinner. I got it from online for about 1.25 for 3 in total.

I like the AS5 (over the stock pad) as it does the job, and if you have to remove the HSF it is much easier to remove.