home LAN monitoring

I tried few "website visited monitoring" software (free downloads). Some doesn't even work? Right now, I am trying out the MING Network Monitor Home. The thing is it only works with "3 PCs".

I have some wireless laptops that I want to monitor (kids plus others). I want to see what websites was visited. Then with that, I would have better idea what is going on with my home network (gets slow down, hacking, etc). I just need to know what websites was visited. Maybe something that can copy the browser history from another laptop? If there's already utility buildin WinXP or Win7, what is it?

I have D-Link DIR-825 router. I tried looking for "website visited", it doesn't show me the names, mostly IP addresses (and it wouldn't work when I check in a browser).

I have a friend that uses a paid software, but it must be installed on the PC that is to be monitored. I am not going to ask to borrow a laptop to install this secretly.

I am not looking for something major, just a small monitoring software that would work with home network, using the router or something that will reach the laptops (and PCs), wired and wireless.

Thanks.

Chuck

Re: home LAN monitoring

No one respond? Is it a big thing, having to pay money for it? Shouldn't a router be able to collect "website visited"? No freeware? It's for a home network (PCs, wireless laptops, etc), not enterprise.

Chuck

why not use an alternative like opendns or google's DNS service

And block the questionable material?

http://www.opendns.com/

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

I don't want to start blocking websites yet. At one time in the past, I used the router to block whole internet access from 7:00pm to 6:00am, worked good. I want to learn of where my kids are going, so I can educate them what they are doing. I want my kids to understand what they are doing rather blocking them (yet), because if just blocking them, they will find out elsewhere.

Does D-Link router software have that? To me, it's something simple, isn't it? Just list (call it "history") of website visited. Example, they go to Facebook, so I want to know they visited "www.facebook.com", no need for further details.

If the software has more features, then I will learn more (like how much bandwith was used per website, etc).

Again, my friend has a paid software ($90/year), it really worked for them. It lists website visited, and lot of other features that I am just not interested yet (what password they use, what they said during chats, etc). Problem is it's only ONE PC PER SESSION, so if I want to monitor another PC, I would have to "secretly" install the software on that other PC, and it cancels the previous PC monitoring. I am looking for something that would work with all my PC and wireless laptops in my home LAN (one router).

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CNT View Post

Does D-Link router software have that? To me, it's something simple, isn't it? Just list (call it "history") of website visited. Example, they go to Facebook, so I want to know they visited "www.facebook.com", no need for further details.

Chuck
    I'm not seeing anything in my D-link router that would let you do that...other than view specific ip's

Maybe software is the only way...I have no Idea

I hope someone else will chime in with some ideas.

Matt

For starters your looking for logfile analysis not webstats, which is for servers.

The reason why home routers don't have that option is its resource intensive and that many potential lookups can bog connections down.

If you want to do wan traffic analysis use a box on your network running some form of linux with remote syslog enabled, then point your router to that box with the syslog option.

On the linux box you can run traffic analysis to resolve the ip addresses without bogging the router down.

Another option is to set the email log files when full option to send the logs to your email account, then run a log file analysis tool on the logs.

There are quite a few ways to do this, so it takes a fair amount of research.

Have a look at some of the software here.
    Most of this software is free to use.
    You just have to find a version that will work for you.

Log Analysis Software
    http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/t...p?form_cat=245

Monitoring Software
    http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/t...p?form_cat=152

Accountability Pal <<<< - This looks like what you need. - >>>>>
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/accpal/
    Last edited by igloo iguana; 02-16-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Core i7 2600K @ 3.4GHz
    MSI P67A-GD65 DDR3
    Corsair DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    XFX HD-6950 800M 1GB DDR5
    Onboard Audio
    DVDRW: LITE-ON SHW-160P6S
    Seagate-500gig
    Win 7 64bit, SP-1

I use ProteMac KeyBag to monitor my kids.
    This program records everything on your computer.

what your asking for is not simple. there are high end($$$$$) routers that will keep track of that kind of information. there are monitoring programs that would work better. But I dont know if you can view that information from another computer. maybe if the program had some kind of web interface for all of it. or just back your stuff up and let the kids learn the hard way...