How much power for an AMD Phenom x4 9650?

I ordered these parts yesterday:

Mobo - ECS GF8200A Motherboard - v1.0, NVIDIA GeForce 8200, Socket AM2+, Audio, Video, HDMI, PCI Express 2.0, USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID
    Proc - AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad Core Processor HD9650WCGHBOX - 2.30GHz, 4MB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, Socket AM2+, OEM
    RAM - Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory Upgrade - 2x2048MB
    HDD - Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
    Fan - Masscool 5W1081F1M3 CPU Fan - Socket 754, AM2+, AM2, 939, 940

I didnt order a PSU or case because my friend is giving me an old mid-tower he has with a 600 watt PSU. My question is: Will 600 watts effectively power that setup?

Re: How much power for an AMD Phenom x4 9650?

600W will power 2 of those systems. I doubt that would draw more than 300W from the wall.

Depends on the power supply. Getting information on the combined wattage of all rails is sometimes tricky. It's always less than the advertised total wattage. How much is almost always unknown. And on top of that it is less when in use in real-world applications because the hardware and environment both are completely different than the lab. Put a year or two on it, and that easily could be a dead 400 watter if you were so brave. Not to mention, how long was it running out of specification, putting your components at risk before it cooked itself?

PSU selection is a "black art". It's not a bad idea to at least give yourself a couple hundred watts of headroom. If it's a good quality 600W unit, then I would say it's fine. If it's a good quality 500W unit, it should be fine. Lower than that is completely out of the question unless it is a truly high quality unit. ie: Corsair CMPSU-400CX. Just one example.

There's really not many 400W units that could qualify to power such a system in the real world. I looked only for a few minutes, so there may be others. One reason I didn't find another example is because many may not currently offer quality units below 500W.

You can't just go by a brand, either. Even high-quality big-dog brands are actually relabling generic units in their budget market sector. Look out. You should normally start seeing those units in the 400W and below power ratings. And they're junk, as you would expect.

The problem with the idea of a 400W system powering something that is hypothetically using 280W of power is that I know damn well that the 12v rail of that PSU may not be supporting more than about 200-240W of power at full tilt. Not good. Unless, again, that unit is designed better than that. This is very rare. Or even, unheard of maybe.
    Last edited by notdrugged; 02-17-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Thank you for the replies.

I ended up getting a 450w PSU and it works just fine. Ubuntu sensors are reporting a few voltage alarms but the kernel isnt panicking so I think everything is alright.