Unknown computers have connected to my network?

My parents have a fairly new computer, about a year old.
    they have Trend Micro Internet Security.

For the past month they have been complaining to me that every time they are on it, a Trend Micro window pops up every 5-10 minutes.
    I took a look at it last night. The window says:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Computers Connected to Your Personal Wireless Network
    The table below lists the computers now connected to your personal wireless network. Select any computer with a click of your mouse, then click Trust or Do not trust, depending on whether of not you want to let that computer connect with yours.

Unknown computers have connected to your network (network last checked on Feb 17, 2010 at 17:23)

Status IP Address Computer Name MAC Address
    X Do not trust 192.168.0.1 ----- 00:15:05: D2:04:14
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is also 2 others listed but they are trusted (my gaming systems).
    Its the one above that confused me. that IP address is the one i use to get to the modem settings.

Is the computer not recognizing the modem?
    could it be someone else accessing the computer?

I thought it might be a virus, I scaned the computer with their Trend Micro, also with Trend Mirco House Call. Neither found any problems
    I also scaned it with HijackThis and have the log saved. im not really familiar with reading the log. but i figured if someone wants to see it i could post it.
    does anyone have any ideas what this may be, or whats causing it, and how i go about fixing the issue?

please any help would be appreciated.

Re: Unknown computers have connected to my network?

What's the MAC address of your modem?
    Skaarj-laptop:Asus G750JW-NH71,Win8.1,Corei7-4700HQ,12GB DDR3 RAM,Nvidia GTX 765M 2GB,Realtek HD,TSST CDDVDW SN-208DN,WDC 750GB HD...
    SkaarjMasterDuo:WinXPSP3, Core2Duo E8600(Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P),Noctua NH-C12P,4GB Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 RAM,Nvidia EVGA GTX-280 1GB,SB Audigy2 6.1,Klipsch 5.1 sats,Dayton sub,Pioneer VSX-819H-K rec,,Enermax 850W PSU,Lian-Li PC-71B full tower,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T,2-1TB WD HDs.....
    Dragonslayer (at Mom's house now): WinXPSP3, P4 3.2GHz(Asus P4P800-Deluxe),Thermalright SLK-947U,3GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM,ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB,VGA Silencer,SB Audigy2 5.1,Seasonic 500W PSU,Silverstone FT01-B mid tower,LG DVD burner,Asus E616P3..
    Dragon1: (off for now, will not boot) Win98SE, AthlonXP 1900+(Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+),Thermalright AX-7, 512MB Crucial 2.5 DDR PC2100 SDRAM MSI GeF4Ti4400,SB AudigyGamer,Enermax 431W PSU...

That IP looks like your Router's IP address. Generally router IPs are either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (depending on what subnet you have it configured for). If you open up a Command Prompt window on your computer and type in ipconfig at the C:\ prompt, it'll display your computer's IP address and its Default Gateway setting. If the Default Gateway IP is 192.168.0.1, then chances are this is a false alarm and Trend Micro is thinking your Router is another computer. Why it would think that I don't know.

But I would make sure your router is blocking all incoming ports to this computer. Otherwise it may possibly be someone trying to connect to this computer from across the web.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster View Post
    What's the MAC address of your modem?

the MAC address is:

00:15:05: D2:04:15

the last number is the only difference. does that mean anything?

no idea, but that is rather strange; unless the MAC address printed on the router/modem is actually wrong.

Since your router has multiple network ports (WAN, ethernet, Wifi), it would make sense that it should have multiple MAC addresses. So using arp command I just confirmed that my router has multiple MAC addresses too.

When you go into the Router configuration, it allows you to adjust the WAN's MAC address because some ISPs used to identify you by your computer's MAC address. But if you put a router in between the modem and your computer, the modem would only see the Router's MAC address. So Router manufactures now allow you to modify the WAN MAC address just in case you need it to trick the modem into believing its your computer. This can only be done if your computer would never see the WAN MAC address since you can not have two devices on a network that has the same MAC address.

So again I think its still just your router.

Hmmm, now I'm curious to see if my laptop (which connects via WIFI) would see yet another MAC address. I got to test that out.

Edit: Yes, my router has three MAC addresses. And actually I didn't even need to use arp as all three of them are listed under the Status section of my router's web based setting page.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 02-20-2010 at 02:58 AM.