Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: The lean mean green HTPC Watercooling Project |Worklog + Opinion Requests|

As I've been overtly idle on building (still spending though!) what has become of this neat little project??? Maybe inspire me to get off my arse and do something!!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Quote Originally Posted by jedihobbit View Post
    As I've been overtly idle on building (still spending though!) what has become of this neat little project??? Maybe inspire me to get off my arse and do something!!
    Thats what I need actually because nothing has gotten done lol. I am gonna try to do some stuff with it this weekend.

Sounds like a plan.....have two systems in pieces and thought about throwing some other parts into another one or two other boxes to sale. Then again may just sale the fargging parts and be done with it!!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Lol starting to think im not cut out for this modding thing lol. Disaster struck tonight when I had the bright idea to use paint remover to get rid of all the old paint on the front panel and top cover parts. Well it worked great! It got rid of all the paint from the top cover... however the front cover is made of plastic and it became one with the paint remover X.x. This is all thats left of the front cover:

The drive covers are completely melted lol. HOWEVER the top came out great and I came up with a brilliant idea. The rest of the case is all black. Inside out etc. I decided to polish the top cover with some sandpaper so it was shiney and smooth steel. Well it looked great and it accents the black of the case great too! Then I went through the process of cutting acrylic to 11.5"x12.5", drilling 6 1/8" holes in the top cover and the acrylic and then riveting it all together. It came out pretty good. Still need a little more polishing though.

The positive of all this is I am taking it to the next level. I happen to work for a Steel company so I am going to try to get a fully custom made front cover made out of steel (which I will then polish like the top cover)!

also heres a view of it on the case atm:

I think Im going to scrap the green acrylic completely. But maybe not.

Man you are not the lone ranger when it comes to borking things!!! I wouldn't want to list the number of items that ended up being "modded beyond usefullness".

The idea of "polished" metal is a cool idea and if you can get some help and get the front plate and drive doors NC'ed that would be great.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

A word of caution on the “Polished Metal” I did that with a case ages ago and I suggest you use a clear cote to keep it from becoming dull and rusting.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Quote Originally Posted by RatboyX View Post
    A word of caution on the “Polished Metal” I did that with a case ages ago and I suggest you use a clear cote to keep it from becoming dull and rusting.
    yeah I did pick up some clear coat.

OK its been forever but lately I have been working hard on this project.

Things ive done:
    -Bought the Black Ice dual 92MM fan radiator
    -Bought a new motherboard
    -Bought a new CPU
    -Bought a dremel kit
    -Bought some nice mesh grilling.
    -Repainted Everything MUCH better (better paint better look not going with polished steel but black again)
    -Bought a custom power button with a green illuminated circle around it. (looks awesome!)
    -Cut the front of the case
    -Working on the front piece

Problems ive hit:
    -Realized with the asus board the radiator wouldnt clear the ATX power connector. (solution: bought a new mobo thats only 7.4" wide instead of 9.6" and ATX power connector is relocated).
    -Realized the new mobo only supports 95W CPUs! DoH! (solution: bought a Phenom II 945)
    -How to attach radiator/fans and make it look good. Ive come up with a very awesome design.

Basically ill be uploading pics of the processes here soon and a diagram of the front design . Its coming along great! If all goes according to plan it will be done by the end of next week!
    Last edited by Bearded Frog; 09-17-2010 at 01:07 PM.

made this quickly in paint and its not quite to scale or anything but it gives you an idea of the final layout. Not sure which location the pump will be at. its going to be figured out when I get it. whats cool is the radiator and the fans are going to work out great and the front should look really cool as a glossy black steel front plate with this cool power button and mesh covering the hole where the radiator sits. The arrows designate airflow design.

Moving in a new direction!!!! Will be watching.....

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

okay the front of the case was cut. Asked some guys in the plant if they would kindly cut it for me. My dremel just wasnt cutting it (har har pun intended). The steel looks really ugly because I still have to sand the piss out of it and paint it. I also need to drill the holes in it and the mesh for the radiator to connect to. Also have to drill the holes for the rivets to connect it to the case, and the power button's hole. Hopefully I will be able to get everything done tonight on it.

Still have to wait till next week before the rest of the watercooling/proccesor comes in though.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/5...1009171335.jpg
    http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/3...1009171344.jpg
    Last edited by Bearded Frog; 09-17-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Just looked at your sketch again and saw where the fans are only exhaust with no inlet fan.......the rad fan you may want to pull "cool" air through instead of heated interior air.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11

Quote Originally Posted by jedihobbit View Post
    Just looked at your sketch again and saw where the fans are only exhaust with no inlet fan.......the rad fan you may want to pull "cool" air through instead of heated interior air.
    well I figure if I pull air through its going to be heated by the radiator as it enters the case. This way the air thats heated by the radiator is exiting the case rather than entering it. Dunno just my thoughts.

PICS!

^Had the guys in the plant cut this for me. Quite advantageous working for a steel company for this project lol.

^View of the cut as well. The top is a bit rough tbh. I dont blame the guy who cut it for me though. I started out trying to do this with my dremel and had to give up. More than likely why it came out this way. I ended up evening it out with my dremel by using a sanding bit.

^Yay everything fits together. Taped it all together and drilled the holes for the rivets to keep the front plate on. Earlier I measured out exactly where these holes needed to be. I also measured out exactly where the raidator mount holes were to fit on the front. And then drilled through the grill and the steel. LUCKLY the grill/radiator bit came out great. I measured correctly

^Took the plate back off and gave 'er some paint.

^When fit back together and riveted in, it looks great except one minor flaw... The left side of the grill notice that you can see some of the interior poking out. I may have measured out the radiator mount properly but I failed for the rivet holes :C. Not a big deal though really. Just have to grind it off. You'll notice the power button is laying next to the case rather than mounted. Thats because the biggest drill bit I have is a 1/2 inch bit. Unfortunatelly I need the next size up to make that fit -_-.

^top view. I am probably going to put one more coat of paint on the front plate tonight. Just to colour the rivets and screws black. I also have to hit the new backplate with some paint anyway.

^shot of the inside. Ignore the wires. Nothing is routed because its entirely temporary. Just wanted a shot to show how it ended up turning out for space.

So tasks left:
    -Get the rest of the watercooling parts
    -Paint front plate, hard drive cage (again), backplate, slot fan.
    -Buy a new drill bit so I can mount the power button.
    -Buy some more dremel cutting discs
    -Grind off interior edge sticking out.
    -Figure out what I want to do with the green acrylic shell. Be it reshaping it or nothing at all.
    -???
    -Profit