Overclocking P4 2.4 Prescott

I have a 2.4 GHz Prescott p4 that I oc'd to ~3.1. I have also an asrock p4i65g mobo that doesn't let me change voltages. My FSB speed is now 168MHz. Is there any way to go higher on stock or will I have to get a new mobo? My goal is to play at least COD: World at War. (oh, and I would like to oc my ati radeon 7000 if it were possible) If it is not possible please suggest some cheap hardware upgrades. Thanks in advance.
    Kyle

Re: Overclocking P4 2.4 Prescott

Prescotts were never the greatest overclockers, so that seems reasonable - particularly without being able to change the voltage. I assume you've stopped there because of stability problems? If not, keep going until you get them. Make sure that you aren't being limited by the RAM being overclocked to far.

But if you've got a Radeon 7000, that's the main bottleneck: any upgrade path should start with replacing that. This may then require a new PSU, depending on what gfx you pick.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Prescotts were never the greatest overclockers, so that seems reasonable - particularly without being able to change the voltage. I assume you've stopped there because of stability problems? If not, keep going until you get them. Make sure that you aren't being limited by the RAM being overclocked to far.

But if you've got a Radeon 7000, that's the main bottleneck: any upgrade path should start with replacing that. This may then require a new PSU, depending on what gfx you pick.

M
    Yeah Windows xp started bsoding at 168 fsb. What do you mean about the ram? I have to set one of the timings to auto because that seemed to cause more stability problems. About the radeon: any suggestions about a new gfx? The only chance I have to get parts is at a computer recycling place. I think my 500 watt psu could handle most gfxs.
    Kyle

I mean that you should adjust the CPU:RAM bus ratio to make sure that the RAM is always below the maximum speed it is table at. That way you know any issues are CPU or chipset, not RAM.

GFX? Almost anything is faster than a 7000: it's the poverty-spec graphics from about five years ago. If you don't mind going to nVidia, any 8xxx card will be faster, even an 8400 - although not much in that case. I'm less familiar with ATI stuff though.

M

you can buy a used 3ghz p4 on ebay for cheap (I have one lying around somewhere along with a few 2.8ghz ones)
    you can get an ati 3850 agp for around $70 brand spanking new.
    And a cheapo 450 watt power supply for $30 will be more than enough.

I would reccomend getting a aftermarket heat sink, as the prescotts run pretty hot. (and throwing on a small fan on to the 845g/p/pe northbridge heatsink as they tended to get raging hot especially when oc'ing)
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 02-26-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    I mean that you should adjust the CPU:RAM bus ratio to make sure that the RAM is always below the maximum speed it is table at. That way you know any issues are CPU or chipset, not RAM.

GFX? Almost anything is faster than a 7000: it's the poverty-spec graphics from about five years ago. If you don't mind going to nVidia, any 8xxx card will be faster, even an 8400 - although not much in that case. I'm less familiar with ATI stuff though.
    M
    The fastest AGP based Nvidia card he'd be able to get would be a plentiful 6200 or really rare agp based 7300, I personally was using a gainward FX5950 ultra on my old system.

the best ati based card he could get would be either the HD4650 from asus or the HD3850 from saphire, both are AGP iterations and will be able to render CODWOW on medium settings decently
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

i had a p4 2.4 prescott on a hp motherboard that overclock to 3.4ghz with pll and clockgen