Thread: Weird Problem

Weird Problem

I recently changed from 2 gigs of OCZ RAM to 4 gigs of Crucial. I did this when I was able to go to Windows 7 64 bit from Vista 32. After everything was installed and working well I wanted to overclock my cpu from 2.6 to 3.0 like it had been before. I was hoping to be able to do this without lowering my RAM to 667 like I had to do with the OCZ. So far the Crucial is around 440 and doing fine; the OCZ wouldn't do this.

After a couple of tries, things are stable but a strange thing is happening. When I boot up, the blue Windows screen last just a bit longer then I get a greenish blank screen for 3 or 4 seconds and then it goes into the desktop. From there everything seems to be fine. Does anyone know what causes this?

I lowered my HTT to 800 to keep it near 1000 and have my FSB at 245. It is pretty much like I had before the changes. I upped the CPU volts one step because at regular voltage it crashed.

EDIT: It seems to have only done this 2 or 3 times and hasn't done it after that so perhaps it is OK now but I still would like to know why it did it to start with.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks
    Gigabyte MA790FX DS5 - 5000BE AM2
    PC 3870 - Crucial Balistix 4-4-4-18
    Corsair 550 PSU Zalman 7000Al Cu

Re: Weird Problem

2x2 crucial?

the 5000be needs about .05v over stock. somewhere between 1.375 and 1.40v to run 3000mhz.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

if you can run prime95 for at least 8 hours, you should be good to go.

ud

Yes, I forgot to update my system specs. I will run this when I get a chance but I did up the voltage and it has seemed to help. But what does the green screen mean?

like you said, "wierd". i would just chalk it up to instability. fix that and no more bsod and no green screen.

ud

I've seen this happen when automatic update is enabled. When new updates have been installed, the system does not request a restart as it may when manually applying an update. The updates are just applied the next time the system is rebooted/restarted and this results in the scenario you've described. Since you just installed Win7 64 I would imagine this is the case.

Thanks for the ideas. What I have noticed is that when I make a change in the bios (which has been only a very few times) that the green screen occurs the first boot and then it is OK after that. The odd thing is that I have never seen this with this board until I changed the RAM and installed Windows 7. Everything else is the same hardware.