Thread: Safe GPU Temps?

Safe GPU Temps?

I finally managed to find out what temp my new 5870's were running at and became a bit concerned as it was 90C-92C using the default setting.

I was able to adjust the fan speeds and lower the temps but it is noisy, and one card runs much cooler. My 295's I always tried to keep in the high 60's low 70's, but that requires 100% fan speeds.

Card 1 78C fan 70%
    Card 2 73C fan 70%
    Card 3 57C fan 50%

Currently I am lowering the room temp substantially and I hope that helps, but I think I am going to end up having to relocate my computers as they actually increase the room temp drastically, 2 295's and now 3 more 5870's push a lot of heat. The room is L-Shaped with my set-up in the small part (10'x12') but with a window over my desk. I may also try using a floor fan to push air into the larger wing another 12'x30'. I planned on making the move in the summer anyway as I can keep the other room much cooler.

The other question is about overclocking these cards. The ATI Overdrive function will allow me to increase my speeds from 850mhz to 900mhz CPU and
    Memory Clock from 1200mhz to 1300mhz, what change that would make I have no idea. I have no experience with ATI cards, my Nvidia's are controlled using EVGA's Precision app which moves both in sync. My numbers look like they will be huge anyway so I wonder if it is even worth it.

Re: Safe GPU Temps?

About the temperature, if those are the temperatures at stock clock with an automated fan speed, I think that's okay. I mean, I don't know the reference temperature but surely the card is clever enough not to burn itself on purpose. I already read in a few places that ATI/AMD seemed to prefer to make their 5xxx cards run more silently even though it means they'll run hotter too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizo1988 View Post
    The other question is about overclocking these cards. The ATI Overdrive function will allow me to increase my speeds from 850mhz to 900mhz CPU and
    Memory Clock from 1200mhz to 1300mhz, what change that would make I have no idea.
    Globally the expected perf increase is quite proportional to the frequency increase when you increase all frequencies together. So with the core at 900 instead of 850 and the memory at 1270 instead of 1200 you should gain like 5%.
    Welcome to the IRC: Where the women are men, the men are men and the little girls are FBI-agents
    Google is your friend

Thanks for the info on the temps, I figured they were safe but am more concerned how they will affect the long term life of the cards. I am still surprised that my 295's are alive, as they run 24/7 at 100% fan and have for close to a year with no problems.

5% doesn't seem worth it given my numbers so far.

there may not be enough cool air going to your first 2 cards. :/
    also, the first and second are feeding off the hot air coming off the pcb's of the card below them... also explains why your 3rd card is a lot cooler.
    they shouldnt hit more than 80 degrees at 100% if they were stand alone.

Maybe you should think about adding your gpu's to your liquid cooling loop
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

I was just at the Nvidia site and found out that my 295's actually have a max temp of 105c so I can stop worrying about those cards and lower my fan speeds dramatically and the resulting noise will drop too.

The problem is my liquid cooler is the idiots version, as I am using a Corsair H50 which is a less that $100 closed system for cpu only. What I think I need to do is make some case fan adjustments, particularly the rear exhaust as that is where the rad for the cpu cooler is located and it requires it to be an intake instead of outtake and the side fan is one of those stupid big slow 240mm. I have lots of room for fans as it is a Cosmos S case and I have lots of extra fans.
    Last edited by Schizo1988; 03-04-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by Schizo1988 View Post
    The problem is my liquid cooler is the idiots version, as I am using a Corsair H50 which is a less that $100 closed system for cpu only. What I think I need to do is make some case fan adjustments, particularly the rear exhaust as that is where the rad for the cpu cooler is located and it requires it to be an intake instead of outtake and the side fan is one of those stupid big slow 240mm. I have lots of room for fans as it is a Cosmos S case and I have lots of extra fans.
    Im using the same cooler, its not really the idiot's version, its the "I'm cheap and lazy" version. Just get rid of that 1700 rpm fan that came with it... its garbage, throw in something that can push/pull a lot of air. (hence my use of a 3000rpm Sythe Kaze), I pull air from the inside of the case out. and set the fan to about 60% (when not folding) and it sits idle at about 29C, when oc'd to 4GHz, it sits at 34-36C, when folding and using 90-100% of the cpu and gpu with the sythe set to 100% and OC'd -> 58-62C max.

get some vented expansion card slot covers for the case, and add something to segregate the gpu's and the cpu/ram area, and throw in as many fans blowing air in at the front of the case (3 in a row starting directly under your optical drive) to get some positive pressure's going on, and use a piece of bristol board (black works nice) to segregate the vid cards from the cpu/ram area (from the edge of the first vid card's pcb to the space between edges of the fan... may not look "pro" but it'll do the job do direct a little bit of fresh air directly towards the h-50's rad while sucking air like crazy from the upgraded fan... and see if you could change that giant fan to suck air in, instead of pull out)
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 03-04-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net