Cool SATA 2 vs. SATA 3 - What To Do??

With all the good things happening in the storage sector, I have a few questions, especially after reading the review of the WD SATA 3's on [H]ard OCP.

They used four SATA3 1T WD drives in Raid 0 and the numbers were off the charts, fantastic!

Okay, I have two WD 10,000 RPM Raptors (300G each) operating in RAID 0, now my motherboard is capable of running SATA3 and I can buy two of the WD 1T SATA 3 drives for $ 240. at Newegg.

My question is, that outside of the extra storage, would I be able to see enough of a change to warrant the spending of that kind of money, or do you really need four drives as they used at [H]??

SSD are just too expensive for what you get at this point in time, so I'm looking at a stop gap until such time as they are worth the money (not that money is an issue).

Re: SATA 2 vs. SATA 3 - What To Do??

I don't have an answer to your question, BUT, what kind of read speeds are you getting on that RAID0 array? Just curious.

Cool Re: SATA 2 vs. SATA 3 - What To Do??

I've really never checked the read speeds.

Re: SATA 2 vs. SATA 3 - What To Do??

RAID 0 speeds are always multiplied by the number of drives in the RAID ARRAY.
    I once did a file transfer test on a SATAII 300GB drive, then created a RAID 0 with two of those drives identical - that doubled the speed (the transfer rate was cut almost exactly in half) then added a third drive that was identical to the first two - re-ran the transfer test and the speed was almost tripled!
    (almost exactly 1/3 the time to transfer the same sized block of data as when I tested with just a single drive)

So it doesn't surprise me the article you referenced with 4 drives reported such fast speeds - especially if they had larger cache sizes, as a lot of SATAIII drives appear to have these days.