Different memory brands in the same computer?

I'm not too worried about top end performance here, but what is important is that I can just plug in the new RAM without having to fiddle with settings and such.

Right now I have this: http://www.directcanada.com/products...acture=CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY

and want to add another 2 gigs. I was going to just buy the kit again, but its not available at DC or NCIX. So, can I get another company's kit and put all 4 in there together? Or can I add just one stick of 2 gigs? And if I do this, should I be looking for 5-5-15 timings, or does that not really matter?

I wont be overclocking or anything, this computer is my poker machine and between Windows 7 and all the software I run when I play, things are getting laggy. So I don't need max performance here, just a cheap boost.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Different memory brands in the same computer?

I am pretty sure that if you get PC2-8500 memory from any manufacturer it will work.

If you get a different kind of PC-memory then the memory will run at the slower speed stick of ram.
    Core i7 2600K @ 3.4GHz
    MSI P67A-GD65 DDR3
    Corsair DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    XFX HD-6950 800M 1GB DDR5
    Onboard Audio
    DVDRW: LITE-ON SHW-160P6S
    Seagate-500gig
    Win 7 64bit, SP-1

Re: Different memory brands in the same computer?

Quote Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
    and want to add another 2 gigs. I was going to just buy the kit again, but its not available at DC or NCIX. So, can I get another company's kit and put all 4 in there together? Or can I add just one stick of 2 gigs? And if I do this, should I be looking for 5-5-15 timings, or does that not really matter?

I wont be overclocking or anything, this computer is my poker machine and between Windows 7 and all the software I run when I play, things are getting laggy. So I don't need max performance here, just a cheap boost.

Thanks for any help!
    You can get another company's memory. However it may not be stable or work. Usually it will be okay but some memory wont play nice together. there is no guarentee. Definitelly try to find memory with very similar specs and if possible the chips too. Do not just add one stick as you will lose dual channel configuration.