Need a program to clone a boot drive

I've just yelled at Acronis WD edition.

I had to re-install Windows last weekend and since I couldn't get into Windows to move everything off the drive, I just installed on another slower drive. The old drive is a 640g WD Black. The new drive is an 808.8g WD Green.

Acronis won't let me clone the larger drive onto the smaller drive despite the fact that only 400gb of the 808.8 is used. I've tried partitioning, but Acronis wants to clone the entire physical drive, not just partitions.

So, does anyone know of any program that will let me do what I want?

Re: Need a program to clone a boot drive

download the acronis true image home 2010 trial.
    This version (even as a trial) will clone all the contence from one drive to the other no matter the size difference since the actual cloning puts all the data to the begining of the partition in sequence.

I use it to make back ups of my raid partition once a week (raid = 300gb, 292 useable, spare drive that holds the backup = 250gb, 239gb useable).
    If one of my vraptors fail, I can replace it and be back to using my computer within 30 minutes (as it happened to me earlier this week)

The version supplied by wd uses an earlier version and is severely striped down, hence it's supreme suckage.
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 03-12-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Norton Ghost is probably the most simple and will do what you're after. Always my first choice. Can copy partitions, drives and to/from images.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Norton Ghost is probably the most simple and will do what you're after. Always my first choice. Can copy partitions, drives and to/from images.
    I never got norton ghost to work right for me. Dont know why, but notron ghost and I never played right together.... always ended in frustration for me.

Try Macrium Reflect
    ther used to be a free version with limited features but it appears to be 30day full trial now.

edit, link to free edition
    Last edited by -=SparX=-; 03-13-2010 at 04:54 PM.

It's overkill for just cloning a hard drive, but Paragon Partition Manager Server Edition does just about everything:
    http://www.paragon-software.com/business/pm-server/
    Dok

Quote Originally Posted by JSLEnterprises View Post
    I never got norton ghost to work right for me. Dont know why, but notron ghost and I never played right together.... always ended in frustration for me.
    That's surprising. What is it that doesn't work properly? An inability to detect your RAID array?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    That's surprising. What is it that doesn't work properly? An inability to detect your RAID array?
    Its nothing recent.... im talking about older versions. I'd make an image, but then the image would be corrupted, or the image was empty, or the bootup cd that it made for you wasnt bootable, dumb glitches that would just cause my time to be wasted and frustration to occur.
    But ever since symmantec products began 'taking over your pc' I began to move away from symmantec products.

I was disappointed when the makers of partition magic 8 were bought up by symmantec. Luckily I still have a copy of it before it was rebranded and rereleased as a symmantec product.

The only time norton ghost ever co-operated with me was in college, just to rebuild lab workstations (since they were all dell optiplex's). But then again, we wrote a batch for it to work completely automated once you started it.... we all made sure it worked 100% before it was implemented. The batch would rebuild off an image we had located on one of the nas's. Made life so much easier than troubleshooting each system.

Hmm. I use a 2003 version. The only time it gives me issues is if the drive is faulty. I've streamlined it a bit. Different CD's with different batch commands, depending on what's required

we used Ghost 6.0(2001) then later on upgraded to Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 1.0 (aka Ghost 8.2) (then 1.1 when the update was available)

Haha, yeah I had some old version of Ghost and got fed up with it

Maxblast is based on Acronis and is free from Seagate. Though it says only works on Maxtor and Seagate drives I have read accounts of it working for WD and Samsung also.

But yeah +1 for Acronis True Image Home 2010, Just used it last night. install software, create bootable media (from inside the program), boot off USB and clone. Cloned my WD 320GB to a Intel X25-V (40GB) in my laptop. No troubles I had trouble doing the clone from windows, so use the bootable media option.