Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD laptop?

AMD laptop?

Anyone got a suggestion for an AMD laptop, I know Intels perform slightly better at the moment but we have always been an AMD church so would like to keep the same unless there is substantial reason to change.

Before it got stolen we had a Toshiba Satellite Pro A300D-132, which did everything we wanted but is no longer available. Is there anything else similar which has replaced it?

Would be nice to find something without any OS installed and we can then install our own but I think such a laptop might be hard to find.

Nick

Re: AMD laptop?

I am interested in this also...
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

There are AMD based laptops out there. I haven't been keeping up on their mobile stuff to give any advice on that. But as for the Micro$oft tax, I can offer some advice.

As I've read around in various Linux communities, I've heard some people getting away with having Dell send them a refund in accordance to the Microsoft EULA. In a nutshell the EULA states that if the customer declines licence agreement when they first turn on the laptop, they can contact the computer's dealer and request a refund.

So if you plan to do this here's what you should do. First get your digital camera ready. Open up the laptop and turn it on. Since this is the first time its running with this OS in it, it'll go through a few special screens introducing/configuring Windows for you. Take a photo of each screen as they come up. When it asks you to accept the EULA, take a photo of that screen then click Decline. Take another photo of the next screen.

Now me personally I'd also take photos of the Linux installation too (especially the formatting of the entire drive). Just to prove I'm not trying to pull a fast on on them at all.

At this point Windows probably wont go any farther. You should now be able to call Dell and request for a refund. Hopefully they will now grant it to you. This doesn't mean they will give you a refund, but you can only try.

I've heard a few people had some success doing this with other laptop distributors too, but by far, Dell has been the best at honouring this agreement.

AMD laptops have issues with power consumption. Nevertheless, the new chipsets based in the Caspian platform are pretty good. They are the mobile equivalent of the Athlon II x2 45nm products. They usually go by the name of AMD Turion II Mxx.

As for getting a refund on MS OS, this is a fun read:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...ghlight=refund
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Thanks for the feedback... especially the Windows refund.

Is there anything on the horizon for AMD and their chipsets.... like if I try to wait it out 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post

Is there anything on the horizon for AMD and their chipsets.... like if I try to wait it out 6 months?
    not on the mobile front.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post

http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/am...w-platforms/2/

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    You have been all kinds of helpful today. Thank you.

Well Turion II laptops do exist, here is a selection of the ones I have found:
    Packard Bell TJ71-RB-055
    HP DV6-2112 or 2115 or 2020SA
    HP DV7-3112
    Toshiba L505D-ES5025 or L555D-S7005

Problem is all of these come with Windows 7 Home and some with MS Office 2007 Home & Student. We need to find some way to 'upgrade' these to XP Pro and MS Office 2003 Pro.

Why XP??? It's like trying to install Windows 98....

I doubt you'll find drivers for ANY laptop out there now for WinXP unless you buy an old AMD laptop.

To keep them the same as the rest of the network. I suspect it would cause all sorts of roaming profile problems if we started mixing Win7/XP and Office Home 2007/Office Pro 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
    Why XP??? It's like trying to install Windows 98....

I doubt you'll find drivers for ANY laptop out there now for WinXP unless you buy an old AMD laptop.
    That's really untrue. We still use XP on 98% of our machines at work and we are constantly buying new laptops and desktops with XP on them.

Yeah, but you pay a premium for XP now, unless you buy used.

I have clients that have networked many of their clients with XP & Win7 machines and say it was much easier than it was with Vista and just as good if all the machines had XP.

Somewhere hot and dusty, with lots of sin.

I really like my Acer Aspire AS5542G-5281 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115727 Dedicated Graphics, Pretty good performer
    Never trust a programmer with a screwdriver, if he starts talking about sonic ones, RUN!!
    Run faster and further then you've ever run before!!

It's too much work to update my specs in a sig, it's a 6 core budget build. If you must know, it's in my profile.

Thanks PaulDriver, another good suggestion to add to the mix. I have aleays avoided Acers because of their poor build quality but this one sounds like it might be better. However, is there an option to buy it with XP Professional or is it another one which only comes with Win7, more importantly are the relevent XP drivers available for it?