Thread: OCing i920

OCing i920

Hi.

I'm new to these forums and to overclocking.

I'd like to overclock my Core i7 920 (2,66GHz, Stepping C0/C1) to something like 3,2GHz or 3,6GHz. Motherboard is an Asus Rampage II Extreme.

RAM: 3x2 GB OCZ3G1600LV2G, Max. bandwidth PC3-8500F (533MHz), Voltage (on CPU-Z) 1,5V

I'm looking for some settings to try out.

Greetings

Re: OCing i920

set bclck to 180 and it should be stable without touching anything else; that's what I did with mine and running at 3.8 very stable, though using corsair water cooling CPU setup

Yes I agree at 180 but watch your temps, after gaming for an hour on, air cooling my temps were a little on the high side

I disagree with setting your blck at 180 and leaving everything else on auto for a few reasons. For one, my ASUS P6T would overvolt my cpu to an excessive amount using that method. Stable yes, but excessively hot and overvolted. Everyone reads on how you can overclock the i7 920 to the moon and save a considerable amount of money getting better performance than the extreme versions...yet no one wants to put in the time necessary to achieve it. They want instant gratification. Now, I dont want to dwell or counsel on this concept, but think of it this way...If you want to save 700$ or so, think about how much time/hours it'd take to earn that money - that level of performance, and maybe spend half as much time properly overclocking the slow, but reliable, way. You'll be glad you did in the long run.
    I have a 920 c step as well, and i find that one thing that definitely alters the stability is the Vdroop option in the BIOS menu. Read up on i7 920 overclocking as the 1366 platform has been out for some time and ther's a wealth of information out there. Post any questions you have and happy overclocking!
    Last edited by AchillesT; 03-30-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Hi.

Thanks for your answers.

I'm worried I will mess up the voltages, as I have no real idea what to put them to and if I have to change the RAM voltages as well. Can someone tell me what to put them on?

My cooler is a Noctua NH-U12P and I chose that one as I heard it was good for overclocking.

Greetings

Hi.

Just wanted to write that I tried BCLK 180 / Multi x20. Put the Vcore to 1.25V and it froze after some minutes 100% load.
    Problem is, even though I put the Vcore to 1.25V in the BIOS, it still changes to 1.27V or something sometimes. Also, my temps are rather high, goes over 80C sometimes under load.

Please help!

Hey try 21x multiplier...for one reason or another the i7 seems to do better with odd numbers. Now, I want to ask before i address anything else...did you shoot for the stars on this one - meaning try a somewhat random number vice increasing your clock speed in increments?? If so you might want to try slowly increasing even if you don't want to go one by one. Another thing, 1.25vcore should not produce 80c temperatures - unless a certain variable isn't dissipating like it should. Is your HS properly mounted with a thin layer of thermal paste? I'd recommend solving that problem before you increase the vcore or proceed with your overclocking.

Let me know how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by theguest View Post
    Hi.

Just wanted to write that I tried BCLK 180 / Multi x20. Put the Vcore to 1.25V and it froze after some minutes 100% load.
    Problem is, even though I put the Vcore to 1.25V in the BIOS, it still changes to 1.27V or something sometimes. Also, my temps are rather high, goes over 80C sometimes under load.

Please help!

Even when set manually the voltage will vary under load. And if your temps are going that high at those low voltages then you need to look seriously at your cooling, both CPU and case. If you are using the default Intel cooler, then that would explain it, as there' not very good. If you have an third-party cooler, what is it?

M

Put new thermal paste on and it's better now. It's been running stable now for about 40 minutes at 3,5GHz and produces about 66C under 100% load (61-67-66-64 sometimes, though). I fear it might go much higher as the air in the room is consumed, though. Vcore is 1,26V in the bios, but goes up to 1,27 or 1,283V sometimes.