board with onboard firewire

Hello..,
    I'm preparing to build a new system to replace my obsolete (yet still running) home system..

I'm looking for a motherboard with an onboard firewire and at least one PCI slot.
    the PCI slot will handle my current RAID controller, and the firewire will be used for my digital video needs. I'll accept onboard video since I don't game that much...

I'm a little tight in budget.., so price is the main issue..

not looking for a top-notch powerfull machine.., but of course overall performance is important, since mostly it will be my primary system for digital-video project (import-export-convert digital video files) and digital imaging (photo retouch, etc.)

I've looked.., but didn't find the combination of onboard firewire and onboard video in one motherboard. not sure if they exist either...

or any one has better suggestion..?

thank a lot..!

Re: board with onboard firewire

Intel or AMD?

Quote Originally Posted by wdb1966 View Post
    Intel or AMD?
    oops.. sorry for not mentioning...
    no preference at this time.., whichever can give a better price per performance.

there are a few without onboard video mixed in but there are plenty to choose from.

firewire

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 03-30-2010 at 11:01 AM.

You could also install a firewire card as well. Here is one that I have installed and the difference between the onboard VIA firewire chipset and this card that has a Texas chipset provided a noticiable quality improvement.

It was one of the easiest installs I have ever done and your OS will provide the drivers (anyway, that was my experience; immediately recognized):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815150074

hmm.. when I click the links provided.. it goes straight back to this thread again.. it should goes to newegg, isn't it..?

I have experience with an adaptec firewire card sometime ago and I see no significant performance issue than the onboard one I'm currently using.

the reason for asking an onboard firewire is to minimize the PCI slot need, not based on performance issue. I notice that newer boards have limited PCI slot. and at least one slot is a must for the raid card (TX2000).

if a separate firewire card is used, than the board must have at least two available pci slot.

I only checked out the link I provided but it did go right to NewEgg. Strange...

Anyway, if you'd like to check it out at the Egg the product I was referring to is: SIIG 1394 3-port PCI Card Model NN-440012-S8

But if PCI slots are an issue I can see the reluctance. I do like the Texas Instruments chip.

I also recommend an add-in PCI card if you can find the right one.

I have gotten several on Ebay that were Dell system pulls that have the 9-pin header to use with any standard case front Firewire port...they usually go very cheap too.

Do an Ebay search for AFW-2100.

If you are getting a card, why not look at getting one that is either PCIe 1x or PCIe 4x? This way your PCI slot will still be available for other devices. Besides, I'd expect PCI slots are slowly being phased out now for the newer PCIe slots. So like you say, it'll get harder and harder to find motherboards with (multiple) PCI slots.

Good points...just not as cheap as getting the PCI version...though I would love to get a good and reliable PCI-E card with a front-port header.

Keep in mind also that not all motherboards will use the PCI-E interface for the onboard Firewire either, many will still use the PCI bus.

alright..
    thanx for all the given options...
    I'll give it another browse for all the products mentioned...

thank you!
    cheers...