Question Tomcat /Thunder 1000h (s3970) wont boot or show vga

Hi all
    I stumbled over this forum as being the one with most hits on google when searching for "tyan forums". I guess this may be as close as I can get to a Tyan "fanbase" or similar.

I have a working server rig based on Thunder n3600r (s2912) but I was missing ports so I bought (also via eBay) a s3970 in order to have better chances to add pci cards, like raid. Never figured out the inbuilt raid for the 3600r.

So here I am in a world of trouble.

Everything seems to check out, but I get no VGA from the internal gfx adapter. I hit the power button, there are no beeps, all seems to be powering up nicely, fans roll, hdd spins all that, but I get no image.

There is a jumper for enable/disable onboard VGA, and that is enabled.
    I have resetted the bios, checked the battery and all that

Got two Opteron cpus on it, and (for now) 4 GB of memory that should be ok (two sticks) while I get it up and running.

After re-reading the manual I made sure I had the ram sticks (only using 2 for now) on dimm_7 and dimm_8 but to no avail.

The board give signal to the keyboard, the cpu fans and other connectors (reset and fans and those) seem to work, but nothing happens. It may very well be booting, but I can see nothing of it.

I removed one cpu and tested again. Normally, afaik, a bios reset would enable the onboard vga (if disabled in bios), so far no success with that.

I have one theory: fan speed.
    The fans I use are high-end low noise Assus fans for workstations, hence they do not spin as fast as a regular server fan (4-5000 rpm or above). If the bios detects that and stops posting, how do I get around it? All fan connectors are 4 pin, hence with speed regulation and detection. I have no other fans for testing.

Re: Tomcat /Thunder 1000h (s3970) wont boot or show vga

The forum at 2CPU is probably more likely to get you the kind of attention you're in need of. Does it work when using an AIB for video, or have you not tested that yet?
    Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a dinosaur.

If you mean add in board, no. I have none that fits that particular pci-x(?) socket, and no regular pci card.

Thanks for the tip, I will keep looking.

Just FYI I think I narrowed down the issue to an old BIOS verison that did not have inherent support for my Opterons.

I have since ordered a replacement chip from www.biosman.com with an updated BIOS that, in theory, should work.