Alienware Aurora: factory overclocking vs manual

Sorry if this is a dupe, I searched the forums and couldn't find anything. Its time for me to get a new machine and I am looking at the Alienware Aurora. Im stuck on which processor to get. I want to go with the i7 920 but for $150 more I can get it factory overclocked to 3.36ghz. Is it worth it? Should I just go stock and o/c it on my own?

Thanks

Re: Alienware Aurora: factory overclocking vs manual

Definitely OC on your own. At that, I'd recommend taking a component for component price check and reconsider going with a prebuilt system. I myself owned an Alienware awhile ago and I dont regret much else in that span of time as much as that purchase. They charge you a premium that doesn't scale at all, i.e. if you want a hd or ram upgrade they'll offer it for more money than the upgraded ram in addition to the stock ram. Really a rip off in my opinion. So take a look at just assembling your own, it's an awesome experience and you'll know your system vice knowing the customer support line.

Sorry if i strayed a bit. One last thing though, the three year warranty you normally get from buying a i7 920 is voided when it comes from a company like Alienware, who charges you additional money for essentially the same warranty.

Hope that helps!

I get what you're saying. The main reason I want to go with a prebuilt system is because I don't really have the time to build one on my own. I also did do a price comparison and as far as I can tell I'm not paying much more at all going with the alienware (considering the nice case, water cooling, etc.). Being the geek that I am I normally would agree and just build my own system but at this point I am willing to pay a little more to have it built for me.

I can understand the time consumption. I still recommend overclocking on your own. 3.36 is not very difficult to achieve with the i7 920 so at least save 150 on something that would likely take you less than an hour to achieve. Let me know how it turns out and yea, they do have some freaking sweet cases

The onlt reason I would pay the extra for them to oc the system is warranty. Do they still cover it under warranty if they oc it?

im going with the 930 not the 920 and yeah its still covered under warranty if you get it factory overclocked.