Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rampage II/i7 940/12GB I want to mirror your settings!

Now that I have played around with this thing too much, I'd like to mirror somebody else's settings to get me back up to 3.6GHz-4GHz.

If you have this MoBo, can you clue me in on what settings you have used to OC? I am running air cooled, but so far even my most extreme screw-ups have kept my heat well within tolerances.

Re: Rampage II/i7 940/12GB I want to mirror your settings!

I have a 920 with this board, and have yet to OC. I took a gander through the BIOS and have no idea where to begin. I don't really understand how to OC the i7's yet.

So, I too, would be interested in this.

Generally with All ram dimm's populated overclocking is a little finiky as these chipsets are not to happy when you have it set up this way.

but, lets say you have standard 1600MHZ ddr3 populated, and general timings of 9-9-9-24 (corsair does 8-8-8-24)

Do Not Restart the system (save and exit) if after changing the uclk (bclk in newer BIOS') to 200MHz. Do it ONLY IF 1600MHz does NOT show up in the choices under DRAM Frequency.
    Voltages are handled pretty well automatically by the higher quality ASUS boards and no need to adjust voltages manually other than the DRAM voltage.
    I took the image out of the manual as it's much easier to explain than through writing it all up.

***IMPORTANT***
    To have some form of stability, you MUST go into the ADVANCED heading in your bios, CPU Configuration, and DISABLE Intel Speedstep Tech and Intel Turbo Mode Tech.
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 04-07-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

This will work in a general setup. if you want every ounce of performance from your system you have to start tweaking all your voltage settings manually, and adjusting other frequencies manually.

if you want 4GHz (ONLY IF YOU HAVE A REALLY GOOD COOLING SOLUTION) just bump the multiplier to 20x.

Hope it helps. its not exact what the latest bios iteration shows, but its a starting point, and it'll run stable (mind you a bit hot especially with the stock intel cooling solution)
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 04-07-2010 at 02:41 PM.

I'll give it a shot. I just don't think I will be able to run 4GHz on this chip without water.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    I'll give it a shot. I just don't think I will be able to run 4GHz on this chip without water.
    It'll run on an aftermarket air cooler with better cooling than stock, but it'll still run pretty hot. 55 to 65 degree's at 40% load expected, thats why I say 3.8GHz would be the better choice.

So your saying that I should be able to run 200x20 on stock volts?

I only think that would be possible with a really good chip?

Tell me I am wrong! I ran 3 loops of IBT and it touched 92c on one core but averaged @ 88c with 1.35/1.35

I have 9-9-9-24 Corsair 1600.

ya, thats about right. lol
    and it is possible, to run on "auto" since it will adjust voltage accordingly, though it may cause a stability issue, but most boards on the market today are more than capable of supplying the needed power on the fly when the processor 'requests' more.
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 04-15-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Set 20x200 and put the voltage @ 1.25 cpu and 1.25 qpi.

Ram is @ 1603 9-9-9-24

5 runs of IBT completed successfully and the hottest temp was 78c.

NICE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JSLEnterprises View Post
    ya, thats about right. lol
    and it is possible, to run on "auto" since it will adjust voltage accordingly, though it may cause a stability issue, but most boards on the market today are more than capable of supplying the needed power on the fly when the processor 'requests' more.
    I really don't think anyone should be running "auto" voltage when overclocking.

This board, in particular, over volted the CPU pretty bad when I set it to auto. I am glad I only booted to the BIOS when set to auto as it was feeding 1.485 vcore on auto.

This board, in particular, over volted the CPU pretty bad when I set it to auto. I am glad I only booted to the BIOS when set to auto as it was feeding 1.485 vcore on auto.
    have there been any bios upgrades? Even though i personally have a different platform, my bios has never fed more than 1.35v to my proc and sits normally at 1.325v

My experience on the P6T: at 3.9GHZ, when it was rock solid on a manual setting of 1.300V, "Auto" bumped the CPU up to 1.44V. Yes, it will be stable, but **** will it be hot.

M

have there been any bios upgrades? Even though i personally have a different platform, my bios has never fed more than 1.35v to my proc and sits normally at 1.325v
    Since the picture of the one you posted, yeah.

Not sure what the latest is right now, as I am not at home.

To be quite honest, I have never heard of leaving your voltages @ auto when overclocking.

I think the auto voltage is going to be calculated by the board based on the chips vid.

I also notice on every X58 board that auto voltage is different on different multis. The higher the multi the higher the auto voltage is. Makes sense.

@stillfunky...see if your system can complete 20 passes of Linx max memory, and follow that up with a two hour run of OCCT. If you can pass those two you are set.

Also, something to think about. If the RIIE has the voltage offset function you may want to consider using it. Combined with speedtep and C1E, it is a great tool to keep your processor and voltage low at idle. I went into great detail about it in this post:

http://www.overclock.net/8619345-post766.html