i7-920 not overclocking well

I have the intel core i7 920 and i tried overclocking it to 4.0 ghz and it was incredibly hot when I ran prime95. This screenshot below was taken about 15 seconds after I started running prime95

The heatsink I have is the corsair h50 with the stock thermal paste on it. I have this running in an antec 1200 case with all fans on high and the push and pull method for the radiator. Any suggestions with clock speeds and multipliers and voltage will be greatly appreciated. Oh and should I be changing the voltage of anything? I have yet to have done that.

Re: i7-920 not overclocking well

That's cooler than all three of my i920s. Is it stable?

M

I didnt check. I stopped it after I saw those incredibly high temperatures. So thats normal? and what should I not allow it to surpass in my testing? also for some reason I cant even get it to start at 4 ghz anymore after some messing around.

Thats about right. If it seems too much and its not running stable then bring down the multiplier by one.
    Also, remember to turn off Speedstep (Turbo Mode defaults to off when you turn Speedstep Off)
    I think one of your thermistor's are wonky.... 2C ?
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 04-07-2010 at 07:17 AM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Yes, at high overclocks i920s run pretty hot. The cutoff is pretty abrupt as well: boosting one mine from 3.9 to 4.0 required a massive jump in voltage, and bumped temps up over 10oC. Currently that rig runs at about 81-86oC. My main rig will hit peaks of 92oC, mainly because the room it is in can reach 28oC even in winter with no heating (small room, too much computing power). IIRC, the offiicial max is 100oC? But there's also a question about how accurately the BIOS renders the temp signal from the CPU.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Yes, at high overclocks i920s run pretty hot. The cutoff is pretty abrupt as well: boosting one mine from 3.9 to 4.0 required a massive jump in voltage, and bumped temps up over 10oC. Currently that rig runs at about 81-86oC. My main rig will hit peaks of 92oC, mainly because the room it is in can reach 28oC even in winter with no heating (small room, too much computing power). IIRC, the offiicial max is 100oC? But there's also a question about how accurately the BIOS renders the temp signal from the CPU.
    M
    It is 100C max, at which point the processor will shut itself off completely, not even a blue screen, just a complete power off.
    95 is its throttle point where it will override any settings and throttle itself down to cool off... usually in overclocked settings it will just cause your system to crash and cause you to shut off and restart anyways.

I found that unless you have some extreme cooling solution (phase change or full water cooling) the most stable multiplier setting that also wont kill the processor by heat is 19x (with the bclk to 200HMz of course). Though the system will run at 3.8GHz (with HT still enabled) it wont surpass 70C (100% Load) even in lesser quality ventilation where the ambient case temp is around 30C. Thats just from my experiences anyways.

Heh...was just reading something today and they said 80c is the new 60c.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    Heh...was just reading something today and they said 80c is the new 60c.
    Its all because of that Halfnium Hi-k Metal Gate's that all the rage

Quote Originally Posted by JSLEnterprises View Post

Though the system will run at 3.8GHz (with HT still enabled) it wont surpass 70C (100% Load) even in lesser quality ventilation where the ambient case temp is around 30C. Thats just from my experiences anyways.

That's a very big "though" when you're crunching SETI....

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    That's a very big "though" when you're crunching SETI....
    M
    I SMP fold and GPU fold on the same machine so i understand what you mean. My Lynnfield part gets pretty hot (68 at full load) and its TDP is 30% lower than your Bloomfield.
    It sounds like a heavy duty rack mount server with how loud my fans get.
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 04-07-2010 at 03:14 PM.