Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrade for Logitech MX Revolution?

I'm considering getting a new mouse for my new system. I've been using the Logitech MX Revolution for a few years now and have no real complaints so I am not desperate for a new mouse, but just wondering what I might be missing by not having the newest tech! I am partial to Logitech mice, but am open to other brands if the quality and reliability are as good.

I do play games but that is not my only use of the computer. I realize that "true" gamers swear by wired mice, but I just can't stand the tug of the mouse cord so I'm mainly interested in wireless mice - unless someone can tell me a tried and true way of eliminating the mouse cord tug!

The Razer Mamba looks intriguing, for a mouse aimed at gamers, but I have read that Razer has some quality issues. And it is very expensive, too...

Is the Logitech Performance Mouse MX an upgrade from the MX Revolution, or.....? I do like the Nano style receiver and, as I said, I do like Logitech mice, but I don't need the ability to use a mouse on a glass surface, so if those are basically the only differences, I'm not sure it would be worth the $$.

How about the Microsoft Sidewinder X8? There seems to be a good mix of reviews about the mouse, most touting the great charging system, some saying it lacks in comfort, some saying the sensitivity is great, some that it isn't, etc. Anyone here use one?

Anyway, all suggestions are welcome!

Holly

Re: Upgrade for Logitech MX Revolution?

I too have the Logitech MX Revolution and I have no issues when gaming. I just cannot and will not be able to go back to a corded mouse for the exact same reason you stated. The Logitech Performance Mouse give you better tracking on different surfaces and thats the only difference. I dont know much about the Microsoft Sidewinder X8 but I would suggest that you keep your current mouse unless you have issues with it. I did experience lag with this mouse when the USB receiver was in my PC under the desk so I had a Logitech USB extender that I had from another logitech mouse and now the receive in under my right monitor about 2ft from my mouse and I experience no lag at all.

Here is the extender I have but I believe that any USB extender will work just as good.

BF3 Dino:
    i7 2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, 8GB Corsair, X-25M 120GB, WD 300GB Raptor, 2xEVGA GTX570HD 2.5GB, X-fi Titanium, Antec 1200W.
    Monster: i7 930, MSI X58 Platinum, 9GB Corsair, WD 74GB Raptor, WD 2TB, Palit GTX460 1GB, PCP&C 750W.
    Beast: AMD4400+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, 2GB Corsair, 2x 1TB WD Green Raid0, 2TB WD Green, KFA2 9600GT, Dynex 500W.
    Relic: Intel P4 3.2GHz, Asus P4SD-LA, 1.5 GB PC2700, 160GB WD, 120GB Maxtor, ATI 9600Pro, Dynex 500W.

I'd bet on the mamba being a great mouse. I have a razor deathadder 3500 and it's been pretty great so far, so I can vouch for razor.

I have a logitech mx revolution that I use on one of my HTPCs. I used to use it with my gaming desktop until I upgraded it to a gigabyte m8000 (until it died). Let me tell you there is a very good difference between a mx revolution and a gaming mouse with 3000+ dpi. I have gotten used to the cord again. I have noticed with the new gaming mice the cord is no longer restricting or an issue. Just higher quality I guess.

Anyway I would recomend either the razor or if you're willing to try a corded mouse the gigabyte m8000x is great too.

I find the mouse wheels to be a bit oversensitive at times.
    there is no 'tick' feel as you're scrolling, and the wheel is weighted metal thats smooth.

other than that issue, both the mouse and keyboard are amazing.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Quote Originally Posted by tjdehya View Post
    I too have the Logitech MX Revolution and I have no issues when gaming. I just cannot and will not be able to go back to a corded mouse for the exact same reason you stated. The Logitech Performance Mouse give you better tracking on different surfaces and thats the only difference. I dont know much about the Microsoft Sidewinder X8 but I would suggest that you keep your current mouse unless you have issues with it. I did experience lag with this mouse when the USB receiver was in my PC under the desk so I had a Logitech USB extender that I had from another logitech mouse and now the receive in under my right monitor about 2ft from my mouse and I experience no lag at all.

Here is the extender I have but I believe that any USB extender will work just as good.

I'm not a hard core gamer so don't notice that the MX Revolution has a lag problem; I have the receiver in a USB hub to the side of my keyboard/mouse area and that seems to work fine. If I do decide to "upgrade" I guess I'll leave the Performance MX out of the running since it apparently is basically the same as the revolution - plus the Performance Mouse wheel doesn't have the same free wheel spin mech as the Revolution - now you have to actully use a switch to change it from a click wheel to a free wheel function.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    I'd bet on the mamba being a great mouse. I have a razor deathadder 3500 and it's been pretty great so far, so I can vouch for razor.
    I have a logitech mx revolution that I use on one of my HTPCs. I used to use it with my gaming desktop until I upgraded it to a gigabyte m8000 (until it died). Let me tell you there is a very good difference between a mx revolution and a gaming mouse with 3000+ dpi. I have gotten used to the cord again. I have noticed with the new gaming mice the cord is no longer restricting or an issue. Just higher quality I guess.

Anyway I would recomend either the razor or if you're willing to try a corded mouse the gigabyte m8000x is great too.
    I take it you have had no quality or reliability issues with your Razer mouse. I am tempted by the Mamba but is it really worth $40-50+ more than the other mice in the world? If only I knew someone who had one so I could try it out for myself. Part of the problem is that there are no places in my area where I can check out the various mice (mouses?) I am interested in - my local Best Buy doesn't even have a mouse/keyboard display anymore so you can't even check to see if a mouse fits your hand properly, let alone finding someplace to actually use the mouse in a game or application.

Quote Originally Posted by JSLEnterprises View Post
    I find the mouse wheels to be a bit oversensitive at times.
    there is no 'tick' feel as you're scrolling, and the wheel is weighted metal thats smooth.

other than that issue, both the mouse and keyboard are amazing.
    Umm, which mouse might you be talking about, JSL??!

Holly

Quote Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
    Umm, which mouse might you be talking about, JSL??!

Holly
    The MX. lol, sorry.

I take it you have had no quality or reliability issues with your Razer mouse. I am tempted by the Mamba but is it really worth $40-50+ more than the other mice in the world? If only I knew someone who had one so I could try it out for myself. Part of the problem is that there are no places in my area where I can check out the various mice (mouses?) I am interested in - my local Best Buy doesn't even have a mouse/keyboard display anymore so you can't even check to see if a mouse fits your hand properly, let alone finding someplace to actually use the mouse in a game or application.
    Correct, none so far. I can't say if the mamba is worth it as I haven't used one. It really doesnt have much of a price difference from what the MX Revolution used to cost. Reviews have been very good for it as well.

My best buy did the same thing recently. Really pissed me off too. I think from a gaming/precision aspect upgrading to a Mamba will be night and day for you

The MX. lol, sorry.
    You should know I can't resist.... Which one, the Performance MX or the Revovlution MX?

Holly

You should know I can't resist.... Which one, the Performance MX or the Revovlution MX?

Holly
    Well, the performance mx comes with the extender and the revolution mx (which is the same as the Performance MX, just with metallic looking bits where there otherwise would be gloss black and a second scroll wheel where the thumb is) comes only in the keyboard combo (MX 5500 Revolution) or otherwise as a Refurb by itself.

Logitech MX 5500 Revolution
    Logitech Performance MX Mouse

I still recommend the combo. As you get more bang for your buck and the options and quicktask buttons are quite a few (very productive keyboard). I recommended it to my best friend since he wanted to get a good cordless combo. Now I kind of wish I bought one as well. Well worth the extra $60 to get an amazing keyboard as well. The only grievence he has is that the thumb scroll wheel sometimes gets in the way when he's playing an FPS.
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 04-14-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    Correct, none so far. I can't say if the mamba is worth it as I haven't used one. It really doesnt have much of a price difference from what the MX Revolution used to cost. Reviews have been very good for it as well.

My best buy did the same thing recently. Really pissed me off too. I think from a gaming/precision aspect upgrading to a Mamba will be night and day for you
    The Mamba remains on my list, but I still wonder if its worth the price for me personnally since I'm just a light to moderate gamer! When I bought the MX Revolution a few years ago (I think it was shortly after it was introduced) as I recall it was about $80. The lowest price for the Mamba that I have seen is $119 - that's for a new one, I haven't checked on eBay for it.

Well, the performance mx comes with the extender and the revolution mx (which is the same as the Performance MX, just with metallic looking bits where there otherwise would be gloss black and a second scroll wheel where the thumb is) comes only in the keyboard combo (MX 5500 Revolution) or otherwise as a Refurb by itself.

Logitech MX 5500 Revolution
    Logitech Performance MX Mouse

I still recommend the combo. As you get more bang for your buck and the options and quicktask buttons are quite a few (very productive keyboard). I recommended it to my best friend since he wanted to get a good cordless combo. Now I kind of wish I bought one as well. Well worth the extra $60 to get an amazing keyboard as well. The only grievence he has is that the thumb scroll wheel sometimes gets in the way when he's playing an FPS.
    I understand now. When I purchased the MX Revolution it was just a mouse, not a mouse keyboard combo, so that was where I was getting confused. I don't need a new keyboard. I have a Deck keyboard, which I love, and it's a keeper!

Holly

What I like about the performance MX is that while having a single removable, rechargeable AA battery, it can be charged while in the mouse using the included cable connected via USB or directly via 120V>transformer current. And of course it works while charging. No removing batteries, no cradle - brilliant!
    "The ironing is delicious!" - Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by bradly1101 View Post
    What I like about the performance MX is that while having a single removable, rechargeable AA battery, it can be charged while in the mouse using the included cable connected via USB or directly via 120V>transformer current. And of course it works while charging. No removing batteries, no cradle - brilliant!
    Though it does defeat the purpose of it being wireless. lol. I wish they'd bring back quick swap battery cartridges like the G7 had.

Though it does defeat the purpose of it being wireless
    it charges fast. The tether isn't THAT bad for a little while, or just have a charged AA ready, then you'll never be chained!
    "The ironing is delicious!" - Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by bradly1101 View Post
    it charges fast. The tether isn't THAT bad for a little while, or just have a charged AA ready, then you'll never be chained!
    I sitll perfer the 600mAh 3.7v lithium ion battery cartridges of my old and dated G7

I may have more money than sense, but I ordered the Razer Mamba last night. If I like it, wonderful, if not I still have my trusty MX Revolution. The Mamba will be the first non-Logitech/non-MS mouse I have purchased for quite a few years - as well as the most expensive mouse I have ever purchased.

Guess I'll either find out what all of the hype is about (I hope) - or I'll find out why some folks have said to stay clear of Razer products.

Holly