Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

value SSD vs HDD

Been looking at some benchmarks and found that the only good SSD with affordable price is
    Kingston SSDNow V Series 128 GB 2. gen with price tag of 270 in our country.

I am wondering how much of a speed increase I would have on:
    -booting Win7
    -opening Firefox
    -opening Firefox, Eclipse, Winword at the same time
    -load times for games

ps.Bear in mind that my current HDD is a WDC 320GB SATA.

Re: value SSD vs HDD

Quote Originally Posted by ashrack View Post
    Been looking at some benchmarks and found that the only good SSD with affordable price is
    Kingston SSDNow V Series 128 GB 2. gen with price tag of 270 in our country.

-booting Win7
    -opening Firefox
    -load times for games

ps.Bear in mind that my current HDD is a WDC 320GB SATA.
    ok,

have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFH5c...layer_embedded

good as a generic example of ssd speed versus a spinning disk

but in that video they use a pretty good SSD from the Corsair's Performance line and the HDD is a 5400 RPMdrive.

But I would use a slower SSD the Kingston 120GB compared to a WDC 7200RPM drives. How much would the difference be then?

ps. looking at this video it was similar in speed to the almighty Intel X-25M.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpXSS...eature=related
    Last edited by ashrack; 04-15-2010 at 12:57 PM.

but in that video they use a pretty good SSD from the Corsair's Performance line and the HDD is a 5400 RPMdrive.

But I would use a slower SSD the Kingston 120GB compared to a WDC 7200RPM drives. How much would the difference be then?

ps. looking at this video it was similar in speed to the almighty Intel X-25M.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpXSS...eature=related
    you do know that the "kingston" drive is an Intel right?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=736

Really...just simply going from ANY HDD to ANY SSD is going to yield a significant boost in everything you do. Boot/Load times for any application are just going to be so much faster that anyone would be able to notice it.

The question is more or less whether you can afford the price premium for SSDs. I personally think its worth it, every computer I use with a spinning disk just feels so extremely slow now, but if the rest of your system is rather lacking in specs, you might be better off getting a different component upgraded for your purposes.
    Last edited by Yangorang; 04-15-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    you do know that the "kingston" drive is an Intel right?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=736
    this one is not. Only the first generation of V-series were.

Quote Originally Posted by Yangorang View Post
    Really...just simply going from ANY HDD to ANY SSD is going to yield a significant boost in everything you do. Boot/Load times for any application are just going to be so much faster that anyone would be able to notice it.

The question is more or less whether you can afford the price premium for SSDs. I personally think its worth it, every computer I use with a spinning disk just feels so extremely slow now, but if the rest of your system is rather lacking in specs, you might be better off getting a different component upgraded for your purposes.
    I think this is ok, right?:
    Phenom II X3 720 @ 3500MHz, 6GB RAM, Msi K9a2 CF 790x, Radeon 4850 512MB.
    only the motherboards controler is the infamous SB600 which is not among the best.
    Will it be a bottleneck for the SSD?

I own the ssdnow 128gb snv-425. I went from a laptop WD scorpio 5400rpm to drive to this one.

I have seen a significant improvement in boot times and program loads. Specs are AMD Neo V 1.6 Ghz, ATI 3410, SB600 chipset. Os is Ubuntu 9.10.

Note that when using a crappy OS (i.e. MS windows) and faster hardware, the difference may not be noticeable.
    AMD R7 1700x. MSI B350 Tomahawk. 2x8gb Corsair vengeance LPX. Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo. Corsair Carbide 200R. EVGA GTX 970.

I think this is ok, right?:
    Phenom II X3 720 @ 3500MHz, 6GB RAM, Msi K9a2 CF 790x, Radeon 4850 512MB.
    only the motherboards controler is the infamous SB600 which is not among the best.
    Will it be a bottleneck for the SSD?
    Looks like you have a pretty decent mainstream kinda system. I think the 128GB Kingston would go in there pretty nicely.

It would probably be inappropriate to put a Sandforce drive in there, but the 128GB Kingston is a pretty mediocre SSD anyway so your system shouldn't be limiting it in any way.
    You can see here that it kinda gets owned by every other SSD, but for its relatively low price it still owns the VelociRaptor: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=6

It would probably be better if you can find a Indilinx or Intel controller based SSD on sale, but the Kingstons are still decent in terms of Price/GB and shouldn't disappoint.
    I snatched up my 80GB Intel X25-M when I saw it on Newegg for about $220 (retail kit); been quite happy with stuff loading instantly.
    Last edited by Yangorang; 04-16-2010 at 12:08 PM.

MR_RAIDER
    I go to a computer science college and saying that Windows is a crap OS when 90% of the population use it is just NOT logical. Add that to the fact that I was a linux only user (except for games) for at least 3 years I pretty much know all the PROs/CONs of linux. Also I was a package compiler for Debian packages and had lots of fun with Gentoo. But since Win 7 came out, I have switched to it and never been happier.

Yangorang
    I need at least 128GB of space. And the rest of the SSDs at that size are way over my head.
    How much of a speed increase can I expect when booting windows, launching firefox or eclipse, launching games compared to my current 7200RPM drive?
    Last edited by ashrack; 04-16-2010 at 12:18 PM.

I need at least 128GB of space. And the rest of the SSDs at that size are way over my head.
    How much of a speed increase can I expect when booting windows, launching firefox or eclipse, launching games compared to my current 7200RPM drive?
    Well its hard to give exact numbers for that....but since it more or less wipes the floor against the VelociRaptor which is like the fastest HDD around it should be enough of a speed increase for you to say....dam thats fast...

and uhh...lets not start the whole OS war thing....

-booting Win7
    -opening Firefox
    -load times for games
    How fast it boots up depends on what has to run on bootup. You will notice a difference but it might not be as much as you expect.

Once you are up and running is when the fun starts. I click on a program and it is open, no lagging at all.

I have SSDs in all of my computers. One has a Mushkin 120, another has a OCZ vertex 30 and another a Patriot Torqx 64.

All work fine and I have never had a problem with them.

I run 3 OCZ 120s in raid on my gamer so it is hard to say how a game will load with yours but mine is lightening fast on most games.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I have two laptops and one desktop running the 425 SSDNow 128GB. I also have many systems running Crucial M225 128GB drives, Intel G2 160GB drives and C300 256GB drives, even some G1 Intel drives. Honestly in day to day use I can't tell the difference between them. The only time I can actually feel the SSDNow slowing down is on intensive writes which sometimes happen in 3D cad. Watch that Corsair video, that's what it's like with any decent SSD. My systems with SSDs are noticeably more responsive than even those with Velociraptor 300's.
    Dok

I am almost ready to buy the Kingston SSDNOW 425 128GB.
    Reading at the reviews the biggest gripe with the SSD is its IO performance.
    Here's a quote:
    SSDNow tanked in our IOMeter tests, posting lower transaction rates than mechanical hard drives. That might be the drive's only real flaw, but it's a big one, and one that's not shared by our pick of the litter.
    what does slow IO even mean to a system?

On my system I do a lot of programming, video watching and games. So will bad IO performance be bad for me?

Dok
    Thx for the info.

yes

its in and out speeds /performance

a benchmark basically
    P5Q Deluxe
    Intel QX 6700
    8 GB OCZ
    60 GB Vertex drive
    ATI 5850
    SILENCER 610 WATT