Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.

I didn't mean to kill it

Well my first Linux installation, which was CentOS 5 (32 bit), lived just long enough for me to poke at it a bit. Apparently I hit a vulnerable spot and killed the poor thing, not even an hour after its birth. It said OS cannot load but I know it meant this.

It is a build I am putting together at work which will host a Tomcat installation, Asterisk and an additional piece of data handling software. It is not something I know how to do, but the boss already promised a client all of this on a ridiculous time table and then brought me into the conversation.

Anywho, installation went fine but then the actual work had to start on it. I poked around the thingy labelled packages and did not see Tomcat as installed and the java looked out of date. Head off to Sun, scratch my head over the rps version of java or not, go for the not. I get a file that is .tar.gz. OK, I know what gunzip is and the tar -e command showed up in some of the online instructions so I go ahead and do it. (To the workspace, but hey I'm at the level of a Windows user that puts everything on the desktop) This gives me a .bin folder and a .sys (or.lib? I forget) folder.

Hmm I say to myself, I've seen folders with those names in the system disk. Maybe this is like a bad game mod where you have to manually copy files into existing folders. Copy and paste and overwrite. OK still seems OK, check the packages again and am undecided if what I did was good or bad.

OK, onto Tomcat 6 ... download, OK it's a self extracting binary ... cool, extract and try copying over the folders again. OK Tomcat appears in the packages, one of the ones in the list is even checked. Pat myself on the back, figure maybe this ain't so hard after all. Check a few more Tomcat packages that sound promising and go for a reboot to see what happens.

Operating System cannot load

Oh.
    Smeg.
    Hmmm, nope, she's dead Jim.

So I know I have done wrong and killed an innocent Linux box. Can someone point to an "Installing Java and Tomcat on CentOS for hopeless morons" please?

Re: I didn't mean to kill it

Generally, you should use the package manager and install packaged software (RPMs) rather than installing software from source tarballs. You are most likely testament as to the reasons why.

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/SourceInstalls

This should help too:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb...14408&forum=47

OK, now you know how to do it - CentOS ships with Java (openjdk) and tomcat. However, tomcat is version 5, not 6. If this is an issue for you (i.e, you have to have version 6) then CentOS is probably not the right distro for you.

You are on a very steep learning curve here. TBH I would suggest your boss considers hiring a local Linux consultant experienced with RHEL/CentOS and Java/tomcat who will probably have you up and running in a matter of hours which is far better than, realistically, the weeks/months it could take you to achieve the same task.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    You are on a very steep learning curve here. TBH I would suggest your boss considers hiring a local Linux consultant experienced with RHEL/CentOS and Java/tomcat who will probably have you up and running in a matter of hours which is far better than, realistically, the weeks/months it could take you to achieve the same task.
    Thanks Ned, but you are assuming my boss is a rational human being. Sadly not the case.

I've my pickaxe and pitons to start climbing and it seems that I was missing a -i ... strangely that tells Linux I am installing something and now my Tomcat server shows up; on localhost anyways.

I'm using CentOS 5 because that is what the contractor we bring in to do Linux stuff is used to using. Unfortunately, that previously mentioned lady, who dictates what shall be has already swamped him with other work, and then suddenly had the bright idea that involved Linux, a recalcitrant box and I.

In theory though I have done good, I just wish I'd some understanding.

Well, you know what they say about The Mothers of Invention ... or was that the giraffes and whip cream guy?

Acknowledged we don't always live in an ideal world

Give us a shout when you get stuck and we'll see what we can do to help, or at least point you in the right direction in your learning

[linus]AUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHH[/linus] I want my blanky.

So apparently I was following older instructions from our partner, which lead me to successfully installing Tomcat 6. They've rolled their own Tomcat into the software that we want and so my Tomcat 6 and its version of Tomcat are in a big cat fight and neither one will start successfully. It checks for 10 seconds to see if the servers are active, 4 PIDs come back negative and the servers shut down and go sulk.

Just how does one uninstall tomcat 6? It seems to be a yum thing, but my brain is just not figuring out what directory I should be in to run the command or if I am headed in a wrong direction.

Thanks again

P.S. On the plus side, I think my java update went successfully.

:doublepost:

OK, maybe I am supposed to remove previous versions of Java? I headed to sun, grabbed the jre-6u20-linux-i586.bin and went through the installation. Everything reported its self exactly as the online instructions described, so the installation seems done. I tried doing the enabling in FireFox (unzip /usr/java/jre1.6.0/lib/deploy/ffjcext.zip) and did seem to work, except that Java still doesn't work in FF.

Was I supposed to uninstall the previous version? For that matter are the packages listed in the add/remove programs even valid? I never saw the newer version of Apache Tomcat appear on the list and the Java never changed either?

I feel like a kid poking at Windows 3.1 again.

Quote Originally Posted by molestedbyasus View Post

Just how does one uninstall tomcat 6? It seems to be a yum thing, but my brain is just not figuring out what directory I should be in to run the command or if I am headed in a wrong direction.
    If it was installed from an RPM package, something like:

Code:
    yum erase tomcat6
    assuming it's called topcat6.

To find out what it's called, try:

Code:
    yum list tomcat\*
    and it should show you the "tomcat" packages installed.

:doublepost:

OK, maybe I am supposed to remove previous versions of Java? I headed to sun, grabbed the jre-6u20-linux-i586.bin and went through the installation. Everything reported its self exactly as the online instructions described, so the installation seems done. I tried doing the enabling in FireFox (unzip /usr/java/jre1.6.0/lib/deploy/ffjcext.zip) and did seem to work, except that Java still doesn't work in FF.

Was I supposed to uninstall the previous version? For that matter are the packages listed in the add/remove programs even valid? I never saw the newer version of Apache Tomcat appear on the list and the Java never changed either?

I feel like a kid poking at Windows 3.1 again.
    Ah, yes, SUN's Java is a bit of an exception in that new RPMs are installed alongside existing versions, rather than upgrading. This is not dissimilar to how Java behaves on Windows. Don't get me started on how dumb that is wrt security leaving old vulnerable Java installations on the system for the Bad Guys to exploit - SUN says it's for compatibility reasons

So, feel free to uninstall the old versions.

First lets see what you have installed - I can never remember what the packages are called, so I use:

Code:
    rpm -qa | grep 'jre\|jdk'
    then uninstall the old(er) version:

Code:
    rpm -e <old java package>

Ah, yes, SUN's Java is a bit of an exception in that new RPMs are installed alongside existing versions, rather than upgrading. This is not dissimilar to how Java behaves on Windows.
    Ya know, I probably shoulda twigged onto that but I assumed that Linux was arse-backwards in a different way than Windows and never considered that some issues would carry over because of common software providers like Sun.

I'm getting too old and cranky for this.

ooo, I got Java to work on Firefox, had to create a plugin folder for the symbolic link but it worked.

Does this mean the symbolic link needs to be created/updated in every program that has dependencies on Java?

Does this mean the symbolic link needs to be created/updated in every program that has dependencies on Java?
    Not on Java per se, only the Java plugin

In other words, Java applets should be able to find your installed Java just fine.

Not on Java per se, only the Java plugin

In other words, Java applets should be able to find your installed Java just fine.
    Unless you put the symbolic link in the wrong folder. I was one subfolder too deep in the java directory, otherwise it would've been working. Did impress our Linux contractor when I finally phoned for help.

Guess I am still smarter than the average bear.

Thanks again for the help