Cooling 920 and aged arctic silver 5

Had a question after reading a few topics on this forum.

I've had a 920 Bloomfield OC'd to 3.6ghz with a Cooler Master V8 heatsink, and some arctic silver 5 that is a few years old. I did something I normally never do, and that's spreading the thermal compound with my finger (protected by plastic wrap of course).

My temps idle around 40 to mid 40C's, but under load, can climb to 80C+. I know that'll I'll rarely, if EVER bring my machine to loads like Prime 95, but feel that I'm either OC'ing wrong or my cooling wasn't applied correctly. Does using old AS5 matter? Spreading with a finger shouldn't matter over time with it curing should it?

I basically copied OC settings from an overclockers forum with a very similar setup as mine, and many things are turned off, and voltages are low as they can reasonably be. I read that if I lowered the multiplier to 19x and bumped the bclk to 200mhz, I could run my system higher at even lower temps. I'm currently at 20x and 180mhz, with my OCZ Gold 1600 running at 1450mhz.

Any suggestions?
    http://www.jaredhudson.com

Big Kahuna Burger: Intel Core i9 9940x * ASUS X299 Deluxe II * Noctua NH-D15S w/ Chromax * 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200 * EVGA RTX 2070S XC * 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 * 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD * 2TB WD Blue SSD * 3TB Seagate Cuda Compute HDD * Universal Audio Arrow * ASUS Thunderbolt EX 3 * Sony Optiarc DVD-RW * SeaSonic Prime 750W Platinum PSU * Fractal Design R6 (Arctic) * Dual Dell U2718Q 27" 4K Ultrasharp * Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Touch * Windows 10 Pro

Re: Cooling 920 and aged arctic silver 5

If you have an exacto blade, take off your V8, wipe off the arctic silver from both proc and board, and apply a small ammount to the top of the proc. Spread it around evenly with the blade to create a uniform thin layer. slap your v8 back on (clean of course).

Your idle temps shouldnt be that high. But load temps sound about right.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Depends on your ambient. My ambient is pretty warm without the AC running and my idle temps are low 40's. Depending on voltages, your load temp in the 80's is not unusual.

Spreading the AS5 is not recommended. They say to apply a small thin line down the center, others say a small dot. Either way you decide to try it, you don't need very much. When you use too much TIM it does the exact opposite.

I stopped using AS5 a couple years ago. It needs to be changed too often, and isn't very easy to remove. There are several other TIM's out there now that are equal too, if not better than AS5. It's still a good product, but not the king like it used to be.

I normally put a bead on it, and use a credit card or sharp piece of paper. I got some thermal grease with my V8 that I haven't used, but heard it's pretty good stuff. It's just a super PAIN removing the heatsink, because I have to take out the entire MLB. Also, my ambients may be a little warmer than normal, since I'm using the Antec Sonata Elite case, a more compact mid-tower.

Last time I applied AS5, it seemed a little more "liquidy" than normal. However, it's been so long, and can't remember what viscosity it's supposed to have.

Also, is it a good idea to try a lower multiplier, and bump up the bclk for better temps? It would be nice to run my memory at the native 1600mhz.

Big Kahuna Burger: Intel Core i9 9940x * ASUS X299 Deluxe II * Noctua NH-D15S w/ Chromax * 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200 * EVGA RTX 2070S XC * 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 * 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD * 2TB WD Blue SSD * 3TB Seagate Cuda Compute HDD * Universal Audio Arrow * ASUS Thunderbolt EX 3 * Sony Optiarc DVD-RW * SeaSonic Prime 750W Platinum PSU * Fractal Design R6 (Arctic) * Dual Dell U2718Q 27" 4K Ultrasharp * Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Touch * Windows 10 Pro

Not sure on that.

I forgot about your case situation... That case doesn't seem like it gets very good airflow compared to what I have.

You might be stuck just due to the airflow, or lack thereof in that case.

Can I suggest that you ask Arctic Silver themselves? Their method works well: of my three i920s, the one one done this way is coolest.

M

Directly from Arctic Silver themselves

"We quote 12 months, refrigerated for critical aerospace/MilSpec applications. Actual shelf life should be considerably longer. As long as you applied fully mixed compound it should be just fine. On your next build keep in mind: In the unlikely even that separation occurred while applying AS5, continue pressing the plunger until fully mixed compound is dispensed.

You should have used the vertical line method. Please see the link below:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_ap...on_method.html