Question Applying AS5 to mobile Procs ..

Was gonna pop my laptop open today and apply some Arctic Silver 5 to the CPU and GPU (instead of the stock thermal pad from Dell ).

The T9300 mobile processor does not have a heatspreader .. can I apply the paste normally or is there any special precautions I should take?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Applying AS5 to mobile Procs ..

I think I would look at a non conductive paste, just to be on the safe side.
    ................. Heat .....................

24/7 speeds
    w/c - * GA-EP45-UD3P - Q9650 - 3737 - 9x415 * ...cpu-z... w/c - GTX260
    w/c - * A8N32-SLI-Dlx - Opty 170 - 2925 - 9x325 * ... cpu-z ... w/c - GTX260
    w/c - * A8N32-SLI-Dlx - Opty 170 - 2826 - 9x314 * ... cpu-z ... a/c - GTX260
    w/c - * A8N32-SLI-Dlx - Opty 165 - 2250 - 9x250 * ... cpu-z ... a/c - GTS250

you can most definitelly do that. AMD Athlons didnt use to use heatspreaders either. They aren't so much a heatspreader as a core protector (from cracks). Just don't get the AS5 on anything other than the core area.

I've done it. Virtually all laptop cpus, etc. have exposed cores. Just a small dab of AS5, about half the size of a grain of rice should be enough for good coverage without it turning into a blanket and trap heat.

If it's still under warranty I'd skip modifying it for now. Laptop failure rates are ridiculous and you might want to call the warranty in.

What Madhatter and Bearded Frog said though, you can put it on the CPU as long as you don't get it on anything other than the core itself. Though removing the heatsink after a few months might be scary, the stuff acts like glue.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.