Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Ubuntu 10.04LTS is Here!

I'm downloading Kubuntu as I type. It'll be the first 64-bit OS I've installed on any of my computers.

I doubt I'll be able to install it this weekend...way too busy. But I can now back up everything, wipe, and install fresh once I get some time.

Re: Ubuntu 10.04LTS is Here!

Ive been running the RC in a VM for a few days, and today finally installed the final version. I really like it alot so far. Everything works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    PCPer CAN'T have a dollar value attached. For those of us, PcPer is worthless!

I've noticed a little bit of wonkyness when I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04. Not from the OS itself per say but from a few specific programs. Especially VLC.

I eventually got everything worked out. I think most of my problems were from where I kept my old /home drive and some of the hidden files some programs put in there were from older versions of said programs and it caused issues.

People say the boot time is alot faster now. Personally it seems the same to me. If anything it seems like it takes longer to log in then it did before, but that could just be in my head.

The only annoying thing I found from the distro itself was where they moved the minimize, maximize, and close buttons from the right side of the title bars to the left. A very strange and unnecessary change if you ask me.

Now its a quick easy fix, but I found that after doing the fix sometimes my buttons would disappear completely from title bars. Course once I changed the theme away from the default I've not had a single problem.
    Motherboard: Asus M3A78
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 Brisbane
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR2 800
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD
    HDD2: Western Digital 500GB
    VDD: ECS GeForce GT 520
    PSU: PC Power and Cooling 500 Watt

I think one of the biggest factors to the boot speed would be the use of ext4. But if you didn't reformat your partitions they will still be the slower ext3.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    I think one of the biggest factors to the boot speed would be the use of ext4. But if you didn't reformat your partitions they will still be the slower ext3.

Ubuntu has been using ext4 before version 10.04. I use ext4 for my partition that I mount as /. My /home partition is ext3 though because I've kept it around for a long time to preserve my documents, music, and such.
    Motherboard: Asus M3A78
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 Brisbane
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR2 800
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD
    HDD2: Western Digital 500GB
    VDD: ECS GeForce GT 520
    PSU: PC Power and Cooling 500 Watt

One problem I have is it randomly logs me out in the middle of doing things while using Firefox. I started using chrome and this has went away so far seems a few others are having this issue too. All the fixes per say for me dont work yet either.

Funny this site is one of the sites that logs me out while using firefox and 10.04LTS

I wonder if its the Flash player plug-in. I know the closed source plug-in has been horribly buggy in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if its taking out your entire desktop (effectively logging you out). Once X crashes, then you'll need to log back in.

Have you tried disabling flash plug-in and seeing if that works?

Stable and fast for me (upgraded from 9.10). I did switch the window button layout back to standard... stupid Mac-style default

i5 3570k Windows 7 x64 gaming rig, Intel NUC SageTV server (2TB iSCSI storage), Intel i3 HTPC

Have you tried disabling flash plug-in and seeing if that works?
    yes and it didnt help I am happy just using Chrome for now, Yes it logs me out totally

Well something must be crashing X. I wonder if its a minor glitch in your video driver that 'Flares Up' only with FF. :/

My laptop's Intel video driver has a glitch that would sometimes cause it to hard lock if I resized my windows with 3D effects enabled. That problem did eventually get traced back to the driver (some other Intel users had the same issue), but it never got fixed. I want to see if it is fixed now with 10.04. I just haven't got to actually installing it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Well something must be crashing X. I wonder if its a minor glitch in your video driver that 'Flares Up' only with FF. :/
    We have seen this (or a very similar) issue on RHEL/CentOS too if folks run the latest Mozilla binaries for Firefox. (The native RHEL/CentOS packages are unaffected as they still run 3.0.x, and only v3.5 or greater seem to be affected)

AFAIK, it's not specific to any one graphics driver/vendor as I've seen reports from Intel and nvidia users. From my own experience, it only seems to affect 32-bit OS. Running the 32-bit Mozilla Firefox builds on x86_64 OS doesn't trigger the crash. It's not unique to the Mozilla distributed binaries either - rpm packaged builds also suffer the same issue.

Certain web pages will consistently trigger the crash, with X restarting causing the user to get "logged out".

We've never really been able to nail down the cause.

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

I dont mind using chrome actually getting used to it. Im still undecided on 10.04 tho I liked the previous version better but ill give it more time.

Ubuntu-Studio is well worth checking out too

http://ubuntustudio.org/

my favorite background:
    Last edited by MrBlack; 05-23-2010 at 11:46 PM.

I have yet to try Ubuntu 10.04...I plan to try this on a VM before installing this...is 64bit as trouble-free as the 32bit version?
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B