Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scary temperatures on i7 920

Ok, so I've been chilling at a nice OC of 3.6ghz on my i7 920, no crashes or anything. Here's the issue though:

i7 920
    Asus P6T
    Cooler Master V8
    Arctic Silver 5 (a few years old syringe)

Core Temp and Real Temp both show idles in high 40 to low 50C's. I ran Prime95 for about 5 minutes, and cut it.....was climbing to near 100C!!!!!!!! Scared me to death.

I'm trying to narrow down what could be wrong. Even though I have an Antec Sonata Elite case, even average airflow shouldn't be affecting my temps anywhere near that. This is what I did the first time that might be a factor:

Used paper over finger method of spreading arctic silver (never done that before)
    The AS5 near the tip may have been too separated and needed to squeeze enough out to get to the good stuff?
    Not properly seated Cooler Master V8?
    I keep my CM V8 fan at low so it doesn't make noise.

Something is definitely wrong, and know the CM V8 is excellent for this kind of stuff. I contacted Arctic Silver themselves, and said my AS5 should still be decent. My CM V8 couldn't possibly be faulty is it? How can you get heat pipes wrong?

Suggestions on what most likely culprit is?
    http://www.jaredhudson.com

Big Kahuna Burger: Intel Core i9 9940x * ASUS X299 Deluxe II * Noctua NH-D15S w/ Chromax * 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200 * EVGA RTX 2070S XC * 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 * 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD * 2TB WD Blue SSD * 3TB Seagate Cuda Compute HDD * Universal Audio Arrow * ASUS Thunderbolt EX 3 * Sony Optiarc DVD-RW * SeaSonic Prime 750W Platinum PSU * Fractal Design R6 (Arctic) * Dual Dell U2718Q 27" 4K Ultrasharp * Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Touch * Windows 10 Pro

Re: Scary temperatures on i7 920

I would remove the cpu, clean and reapply fresh AS, put your mind at ease.

Go to the Arctic Silver website to see the instructions on applying the stuff: essentially, you shouldn't be spreading it around at all.

Second, if you run the fan slowly, it won't cool as well. Try it as full whack just to see how much difference it makes. Try researching other, quieter, fans as well.

M

Ok, here's the update:

Cleaned processor and V8 with rubbing alcohol. I also squirted a bit of AS5 out to make sure I had some good stuff. I did the SINGLE LINE advised by AS5 themselves. I also tinted and prepped the heatsink with a thin layer.

My OC settings are similar, but with an 18 multiplier and 200 blck so I can get my ram at DDR3 1600mhz (was 1450mhz before), so it runs slightly warmer.

I put my V8 fan on full blast for testing, and it still idles mid 40C's to 50C. I Prime 95'd it for about 5 minutes, and seemed to hold around the mid 80C's, far better than high 90C's. Now I understand that AS5 needs up to 200 hours of prep before it works to full capacity. So with a little luck, it'll shave 3-5C off my load and idle temps, and bring stability within very acceptable ranges.

Big Kahuna Burger: Intel Core i9 9940x * ASUS X299 Deluxe II * Noctua NH-D15S w/ Chromax * 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200 * EVGA RTX 2070S XC * 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 * 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD * 2TB WD Blue SSD * 3TB Seagate Cuda Compute HDD * Universal Audio Arrow * ASUS Thunderbolt EX 3 * Sony Optiarc DVD-RW * SeaSonic Prime 750W Platinum PSU * Fractal Design R6 (Arctic) * Dual Dell U2718Q 27" 4K Ultrasharp * Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Touch * Windows 10 Pro

a really good thermal compound is Innovation Cooling Diamond "24 Carat". Its hard to find in local computer shops (if ever). I've tried a lot of different cooling compounds and use arctic silver 5 for all customer builds which is fine for them. a 4g tube of the diamond 24 carat costs around $25. it uses diamond dust which has a much greater thermal conductivity than silver. If you can get your hands on that stuff, I'd recommend it well over the arctic silver 5, and you'll drop around 3 to 5 degrees C more.
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 05-01-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Quote Originally Posted by JSLEnterprises View Post
    a really good thermal compound is Innovation Cooling Diamond "24 Carat". Its hard to find in local computer shops (if ever). I've tried a lot of different cooling compounds and use arctic silver 5 for all customer builds which is fine for them. a 4g tube of the diamond 24 carat costs around $25. it uses diamond dust which has a much greater thermal conductivity than silver. If you can get your hands on that stuff, I'd recommend it well over the arctic silver 5, and you'll drop around 3 to 5 degrees C more.
    I was just noticing your cooling solution, and was wondering how quiet and effective it was. It looks very enticing to me, because I'm pursuing a quiet computer while being ultra high performance, and cool. Considering it's liquid cooled, it would already knock out 1 fan in my case, also giving me way better and more reliable temps inside my tighter mid-tower. Would you also recommend the Scythe fan over a Tri-Cool? Again, I want quiet quiet quiet!

In short, how much would you say it cooled better versus a high-end air cooler?

Also, I wanted to ask anyone that knows if I need to have my voltages on a P6T overclocked bumped up. CPU is 1.275 and DRAM is 1.64. Would auto be fine for a 1Ghz overclock, or am I doing the right thing? I know it adds heat.
    Last edited by fxscreamer; 05-01-2010 at 06:59 PM.

There are a lot of reviews of the H50 about, and they seem to vary a lot. As far as I can see, it lags a little behind the best of the air-coolers, such as the TRUE, if you use the default fan. You can put a better fan on, or two fans in push/pull, but that obviously makes it louder. I've seen no end of them being sold second-hand, suggesting they're not the answer to everything. If you're going down that rote, I'd go for proper air-cooling, or wait for a one part system with a better rad.

M

Or do real water cooling!!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

That's what I meant to write - obviously my brain (?) had other ideas.

M

Quote Originally Posted by fxscreamer View Post
    I was just noticing your cooling solution, and was wondering how quiet and effective it was. It looks very enticing to me, because I'm pursuing a quiet computer while being ultra high performance, and cool. Considering it's liquid cooled, it would already knock out 1 fan in my case, also giving me way better and more reliable temps inside my tighter mid-tower. Would you also recommend the Scythe fan over a Tri-Cool? Again, I want quiet quiet quiet!

In short, how much would you say it cooled better versus a high-end air cooler?

Also, I wanted to ask anyone that knows if I need to have my voltages on a P6T overclocked bumped up. CPU is 1.275 and DRAM is 1.64. Would auto be fine for a 1Ghz overclock, or am I doing the right thing? I know it adds heat.
    I was using a Zalman CNPS9900A before I bought the H-50 as at the time of my build the H-50's wern't selling with the 1156 retention bracket.. I didnt overclock at that time yet as it was also sitting in an old coolermaster case which had fairly limited airflow, so I personally cant really compare, with how it performed overclocked. but the stock temps between the two were a few degrees better for the H-50. the Zalman idled at ~33 deg while the H-50 idled ~28 deg in the same case (as the case was the last thing I decided to purchase). Note: my room temp was around 16 or so degree's since it was in late September that I began to build 'her'.

With the way I have my cooling solution currently set up, just idle, or light loads up to 20%, I have the fan running at around 60 to 70%, which is fairly quiet to other fans that run at ~2000 rpm (70% of the sythe) but when actually running high load I crank her up to 100%, which is not in any way quiet. But I can tell you this, I had used arctic silver 5 when I first got the H-50 (and cleaned off the pre applied paste that came with it) and at high load it ran between 68-70 degree's. I switched to the diamond 24 karat thermal paste, she now runs ~62/63 degrees at load. Idle temps have around the same difference as well.
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 05-02-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    Or do real water cooling!!
    ^^ What I plan to do on my next build

Either that, or a combination of water cooling and Phase Change.
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 05-02-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSLEnterprises View Post
    I was using a Zalman CNPS9900A before I bought the H-50 as at the time of my build the H-50's wern't selling with the 1156 retention bracket.. I didnt overclock at that time yet as it was also sitting in an old coolermaster case which had fairly limited airflow, so I personally cant really compare, with how it performed overclocked. but the stock temps between the two were a few degrees better for the H-50. the Zalman idled at ~33 deg while the H-50 idled ~28 deg in the same case (as the case was the last thing I decided to purchase). Note: my room temp was around 16 or so degree's since it was in late September that I began to build 'her'.

With the way I have my cooling solution currently set up, just idle, or light loads up to 20%, I have the fan running at around 60 to 70%, which is fairly quiet to other fans that run at ~2000 rpm (70% of the sythe) but when actually running high load I crank her up to 100%, which is not in any way quiet. But I can tell you this, I had used arctic silver 5 when I first got the H-50 (and cleaned off the pre applied paste that came with it) and at high load it ran between 68-70 degree's. I switched to the diamond 24 karat thermal paste, she now runs ~62/63 degrees at load. Idle temps have around the same difference as well.
    Interesting. I looked at that Diamond stuff and am intrigued for future builds. Looks like AS5 has taken a back seat. I assume the 7 and 24 Karat is just size, not consistency?

Quote Originally Posted by fxscreamer View Post
    Interesting. I looked at that Diamond stuff and am intrigued for future builds. Looks like AS5 has taken a back seat. I assume the 7 and 24 Karat is just size, not consistency?
    it regards the amount of synthetic diamond dust is being used in the mixture.

the 24 karat version is denser than the 7 karat, and its recommended to warm it up a bit before use (the denser the paste is, the more viscous it is)

I am running an i7 860 at 4.1 GHz with an H50 and don't ever see temps over 75 C when running Prime95. I actually left the thermal compound on that it came with. I love the H50, it's inexpensive and seems to do a good job for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Technobabbler View Post
    I am running an i7 860 at 4.1 GHz with an H50 and don't ever see temps over 75 C when running Prime95. I actually left the thermal compound on that it came with. I love the H50, it's inexpensive and seems to do a good job for me.
    75 is too high for the Lynnfield. Im pretty sure its throttling down or going into C1E halt state and bsod'ing on you.
    since its thermal properties is a max of 72.7 degrees C!

Its stable up to about 68-69, If its going above that and hitting its max drop the multiplier by 1x
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 05-07-2010 at 12:22 PM.