Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Old Timer GA-7VAX with ATHLON XP-M Barton

does cpuz show the cpu as a mobile?

in cpuz under mainboard tab, what bios date is listed?

your going to have to experiment with the switches on the board. there are two sets. one is for the multipliers and the other is for the fsb. at the moment both are set to auto by my guess.

the multi is going to be the most important to the overclock. we need to start there.

ud

I don't know if this will help but here is all the dope on this particular CPU (from where I bought it from) in the way of settings and safe limits:

AMD Athlon XP-M Barton @ 3600+! 2600+ 2800+ 3000+ 3200+
    * * * NEW Chip! 3600+ @ 400FSB! DESTROYS 3200+! * * *

Item specifics
    Brand: AMD Athlon XP-M (Barton) Socket Type: Socket A / 462
    Certified Speed: 2500MHz (3600+) @ 400+/333/266MHz FSB Voltage Required: 1.85v
    Performance Rating: 3600+ Alternate Running Mode: 2400MHz (3500+) @ Just 1.725v
    Alternate Running Mode 2: 2200MHz (3200+) @ Just 1.525v Special: SUPER-LOW VOLTAGE RUNNING MODES!
    Multiplier: UNLOCKED!

KILLER Cherry-Picked Chip! NEW! Guaranteed 100% perfectly working - no DOA!

Plus - Triple-Spec! THREE Guaranteed Stable running speeds or FULL Refund!

2200MHz (3200+) @ just 1.525v @ up to 52C or your money back!
    2400MHz (3500+) @ just 1.725v @ up to 52C or your money back!
    2500MHz (3600+) @ just 1.85v @ up to 52C or your money back!

Socket A / Barton 512KB Cache / Works In Desktop Systems! / Does 400MHz+, 333MHz & 266MHz FSB!

Runs SUPER COOL! / KILLS 3200+! (see photos!) / UNLOCKED Multiplier!

KILLER Chip! NEW! Pre-tested for Performance Guarantee! I am an experienced overclocker of many years, and have tested this chip thoroughly to ensure a guaranteed, stable, 3D-proof overclock of 2200MHz, 2400MHz & 2500MHz at any FSB speed you can muster. Not only will I guarantee its full functionality, but I will also guarantee its overclockability (see photo) - look around and see how many other sellers are willing to do that! I select my chips carefully, and am certifying this piece at 2200MHz (3200+) @ 400+/333/266MHz FSB @ just 1.525v / 2400MHz (3500+) @ 400+/333/266MHz FSB @ just 1.725v / 2500MHz (3600+) @ 400+/333/266MHz FSB @ just 1.85v. These results EXCEED the overclocking capabilities of an actual 3200+ which runs at a stock voltage of 1.65v and a speed of 2200MHz. Furthermore, this CPU runs MUCH COOLER.
    Why the XP-M? Though 100% compatible with desktop computers, these chips were originally designed for laptop use. Due to thermal considerations, low voltage was required in order to reduce heat levels inside the notebook. In order to achieve the highest frequency possible at the same time, extremely high-grade raw materials were required (stricter than 3200+ requirements, and only the best) -- this is why these chips have such incredible overclocking potential with only slightly increased voltage. Some specific batches perform distinctly better than others however, and this is why I am so extremely picky about the ones I get. If you want the FASTEST Athlon XP CPU for your desktop computer, then THIS is your chip.
    If your motherboard has an adjustable BIOS, then you mind as well get the most out of it. Don't become another "3200+ Sucker". The chip currently up for auction operates 100% stable at an effective speed of 3600+, thus DESTROYING the 3200+ (see photos). Furthermore, CPUs do not - in any way - degrade in performance over time - they remain CONSTANT their entire lives - even if overclocked the entire time. Also, overlocking a chip does not shorten it's lifespan in any way whatsoever - these are all myths made up by those who want to line their pockets with your money by getting you to upgrade needlessly to the 'top model'. Why spend top-dollar on a vastly inferior product? Bottom Line - If you are looking for the absolute FASTEST Athlon XP CPU for your desktop computer, then THIS is your chip.
    This auction is for the CPU only and ships WORLDWIDE! Please make sure you are familiar with overclocking, that motherboard can handle these settings, and that you have an adequate heastink/fan. The CPU Multiplier/Ratio, CPU Voltage, and CPU FSB (and on some older motherboards the FSB:AGP:PCI ratio) will need to be manually set in your motherboard's BIOS/Jumpers as per the CPU-Z photo below...good luck -voodoo1337.

This is all the data in the CPU-Z window that is shown as example (image unavailable):

PROCESSOR:
    Nmae: AMD Athlon XP-M
    Code: Name Barton
    Package: Socket A
    Technology: 0.13 mcr
    Voltage: 1.850v
    Specification: AMD Athlon XP 3600+
    Family: 6
    Model: A
    Stepping: 0
    Ext. Family: 7
    Ext. Model: A
    Instructions: MMX (+), 3D Now! (+), SSE

Clocks:
    Core Speed 2500.0 MHz
    Multiplier x 12.5
    FSB 200.0 MHz
    Bus Speed 400.0 Mhz

Cashe:
    L1 Data 64 Kbytes
    L1 Code 64 Kbytes
    Level 2 512 KBytes
    Last edited by tinkering; 05-17-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: addition
    tinkering

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    does cpuz show the cpu as a mobile?

in cpuz under mainboard tab, what bios date is listed?

your going to have to experiment with the switches on the board. there are two sets. one is for the multipliers and the other is for the fsb. at the moment both are set to auto by my guess.

the multi is going to be the most important to the overclock. we need to start there.

ud
    YES it does show as XP-M

BIOS Date 12/17/2002

Are you talking physical switches or BIOS switches? There is a microswitch block with six throws all in 'OFF' position. It is labeled 'CK RATIO'. There is only one other microswitch, with a single throw. It is in 'ON' position. It is labeled 'SW1'.

WHAT DO I DO DO FIRST?

In the BIOS I noticed that a lot of the settings were in 'AUTO' if that means anything?

Remember pixels303 said there were some jumpers on this board; What was he referring to?
    Last edited by tinkering; 05-17-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: addition
    tinkering

grab the manual it shows the switches and what they do.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...l&FileID=15270

ud

The CK Ratio dipswitch is for selecting the multiplier, correct?
    The SW1 switch is for selecting the system bus frequency, correct?

The trouble is that the CK Ratio dipswitch in the manual has only 5 throws (the switch on this board has 6). The SW1 switch in the manual has 2 throws (the switch on this board has 1). I don't know how I am going to swing any settings?
    tinkering

appears you have version 1.2. leave the sw1 switch alone for now.

found this:

try to get x13 or x14 to post to windows.

edit: any chance that your actually running this board?

GA-7VAXP Ultra

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 05-18-2010 at 11:42 AM.

It is definitely the GA-7VAX and yes it is Rev: 1.2
    The manual for the GA-7VAXP Ultra might also apply some to the GA-7VAX Rev: 1.2
    The Rev: 1.2 looks like a go between model without boons like the SATA.
    It shows two manuals at: http://www.retrevo.com/support/Gigab...3285bh732/t/2/
    User Guide for Gigabyte GA-7VAX / GA-7VAXP
    User Guide for Gigabyte GA-7VAX / GA-7VAX1394 / GA-7VAXP / GA-7VAXP Ultra
    The guide for the ultra shows the same 6 throw dipswitch configuration chart that you sent me.

CPU-Z in the Mainboard tab IDs it as a Ga-7VAX 1.x

Using the dipswitch, I have attained:
    Core Speed 1413.9 to 1414.1 MHz
    Multiplier x14.0 (the seller recommended x12.5)
    Bus Speed still 101.0 MHz
    Rated FSB still 202.0 MHz

Core Voltage 1.616 V

The manual shows the SW1 as being in 'auto' when in 'off' position (which supports FSB 266/333 MHz CPU). The 'on' position is for 100 MHz: for fixed FSB 200 MHz CPU

Should I try the 'off' auto position on SW1? What FSB do we want?
    Last edited by tinkering; 05-18-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    tinkering

great to hear that the higher multi works.

now hit the sw1. i suspect we'll see it give you 133/266fsb.

then.......we'll need a v-core increase and more adjustments.

your board won't run 200fsb. aka 12.5x200. so we work the higher multis instead.

ud

It won't boot with the SW1 in 'auto'. Do I need to go into the BIOS to choose to allow 'auto'?
    tinkering

remember i never had the board.

so you haven't been in auto mode. then in the bios select enable in cpu host clock and set the fsb to 133. does it have an option for 166?

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    remember i never had the board.

so you haven't been in auto mode. then in the bios select enable in cpu host clock and set the fsb to 133. does it have an option for 166?

ud
    When I enable CPU Host Clock Control, I can only select between 100 to 132 MHz for the CPU Host Frequency (That is the FSB right?) The manual says 200/266/333 MHz FSB and DDR Bus Speeds. Is this because it is an XP-M (dumb question)? Where should I have SW1 set now; auto or off? I have a feeling, try 'off' again now? It also shows PCI/AGP Frequency now as 44/88 MHz.

There is only one thing that isn't Enabled or Auto on that page now; what is Spread Spectrum Modulated (it is Disabled)?
    Last edited by tinkering; 05-18-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: addition
    tinkering

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Id luv to see what I can do with that chip and meh H50 cooler

Quote Originally Posted by tinkering View Post
    When I enable CPU Host Clock Control, I can only select between 100 to 132 MHz for the CPU Host Frequency (That is the FSB right?) The manual says 200/266/333 MHz FSB and DDR Bus Speeds. Is this because it is an XP-M (dumb question)? Where should I have SW1 set now; auto or off? I have a feeling, try 'off' again now? It also shows PCI/AGP Frequency now as 44/88 MHz.
    yes i think we can blame the mobile along with gigabyte. go back to 100fsb.

here is one option. there is a long thread on the board. check it out.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/cont...ic/2367/?o=280

Just now i'm running an XP2200+FSB166MhzCPUMUL11x=1826mhz
    GA-7VAXP ver1.2

The matter are the mobo versions
    I have seen on the web 3 kind of mobo: Ver 1.0 Ver 1.1 and Ver 1.2

I dont remember if it was 1.0 or 1.1 but there is a version where the SW1 dip switch is doubled and can force the mobo FSB to 100 133 or 166 as you wish.
    On version 1.2 there is a single dip switch that can be set to 100 mhz or to AUTO(tha is the automate selection by CPU type to use 133 or 166 mhz and the matter is YOU CANT select the FSB)
    If you can notice at left side of the dip switch there are other 4 solded hole for dip switch but there isn't dip switch on 'em...to solve the matter you need to put SW1 single switch in off position(AUTO) and to solder the two holes right next to the SW1 switch
    SW1
    |
    |
    |
    /|\ SW1
    |
    Solder this two together
    what is the max vcore that the bios will give you?

There is only one thing that isn't Enabled or Auto on that page now; what is Spread Spectrum Modulated (it is Disabled)?
    diabled.

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 05-18-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Do you think I should try that solder job? There is another guy who did that too, only he used a wire and tape and cement on the ends, or something. I should be able to solder a strand between there without taking the mobo out.

QUOTE: "what is the max vcore that the bios will give you?" Where do I access vcore? Is it the CPU OverVoltage Control? If so, the max is an increase of 10% (dumb question Is that how it is normally done?
    tinkering

Do you think I should try that solder job? There is another guy who did that too, only he used a wire and tape and cement on the ends, or something. I should be able to solder a strand between there without taking the mobo out.
    those are options.

Where do I access vcore? Is it the CPU OverVoltage Control? If so, the max is an increase of 10% (dumb question Is that how it is normally done?
    what's your vcore at the moment? 1.45? 10% will only give you 1.60v.

i think a pin mod is the only way to get both vcore and fsb of 166.

pin mod

or if the guy has unlocked 2500 bartons, maybe he would be up for an exchange.

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 05-19-2010 at 02:21 AM.