Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Old Timer GA-7VAX with ATHLON XP-M Barton

Vcore at present is 1.596
    plus 10% is 1.7556

You are losing me with the pinmod. It makes the solder job look glamorous.

I tried the 10% on the existing Vcore. In CPUID Core Voltage is 1.984V.

Core speed is 1414.0MHz

Should I try anything else here? Should I try that solder?

I set the FSB to 132MHz
    In CPUID I get:
    Core Speed1848.1MHz
    Bus Speed 132.0MHz
    Rated FSB 264.0MHz

CPU Temperature 35 deg C/ 95 deg F

It rebooted and restored the CMOS Defaults

Solder...I will decide tomorrow...that pin mod looks complicated...
    tinkering

Re: Anyone got a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP?
    i enabled 333 bus on my 1.2 by makin a piece of wire ( 6mm) sticking it to some tape, and putting cement glue on the tape (Making sure the bends of the wire still came out). I then taped it to the SW1 then lined the contacts up.
    tinkering

Why couldn't I use some of the paint on connection form a "grid rear window defogger repair kit" :-) ? I could use it to bridge the SW1 solder contacts to get that adjustable FSB??
    tinkering

since you have that much vcore then any way to get the 133 would be ok.

as to the best way, i can't really give you that answer.

ud

I guess because I am not clued in much at all on pin mod, another simpler way is attractive to me but the solder fix seems like a bit of a gamble in itself. The guy who did it was working with a GA-7VAXP Rev: 1.2 Not exactly the same board but the same sounding monster as far as the SW1 goes. I suppose if I chose that avenue and wound up frying it, the sun would still come up I understand that you don't want to stick your neck out and decide for me but I sure appreciate your help in finding me these options, and it is fun at times so far

Can you make out from that guys 'text drawing' of the circuit, which 2 solder joints are in fact the ones he used? I might be able to salvage a dipswitch from an old board here, to jerry rig it up, if I had a schematic showing how the contacts are switched (single throw/double pole, or single throw/single pole?) or if somebody could tell me for sure. That rear window defogger circuit repair paint or epoxy sounds like another option.
    tinkering

can you get me a pic of that section of the board? i'm having trouble deciphering his drawing too.

ud

That rear window defogger circuit repair paint or epoxy sounds like another option.
    Think you can just use a pencil

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I thought this was unlocked?
    tinkering

ud, I thought this was an unlocked barton?
    ud, I don't have a camera here until later tonight but I think it can draw a little better picture than that.
    SW1
    * *! * !

* *! * !
    ......NO (ON – switch is installed upside down, explaining why we thought we were in ‘Auto’)

* = solder spots on board
    I think he is indicating a bridge between the top and bottom *s on the far left side (although he does say "...solder the two holes right next to the SW1 switch"; if another single dipswitch were installed, it would have to be on the far left because there isn’t enough room to fit another single dipswitch directly beside the existing switch; unless a double switch, which might take up less room, was installed rather than 2 singles?

It still leaves me unsure. What about you? I don’t have a camera here until later tonight.

GlasMan, Too late, I already have a bottle; I might still solder though.
    tinkering

ud, I thought this was an unlocked barton?
    ud, I don't have a camera here until later tonight but I think it can draw a little better picture than that.

* *! * !

* *! * !
    ......ON (SW1 is installed upside down; ON is really OFF; explaining why we thought we were in ‘Auto’)

* = solder spots on board
    I think he is indicating a bridge between the top and bottom *s in the middle column (he does say "...solder the two holes right next to the SW1 switch"; if another single dipswitch were installed, it would have to be on the far left because there isn’t enough room to fit another single dipswitch directly beside the existing switch. If they used a double switch, rather than 2 singles, it might take up less room, thus enough room to use the middle column *s. After typing up this picture of my own, and experiencing how the text program shuffles the letters around, I think he is almost for certain indicating to bridge the middle column of *s with his solder fix.

It leaves me quite sure now. What about you? I don’t have a camera here until later tonight.

GlasMan, Too late, I already have a bottle; I might still solder though.
    Last edited by tinkering; 05-19-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    tinkering

I thought this was an unlocked barton?
    oops i forgot you haven't owned just about every flavor of socket a processor. must have been me.

i was referring to the 2500xp 11X166fsb. yours is the mobile with the 133/266fsb. both have the barton core 512 cache. and yes yours is unlocked.

ud

Which of the two is better; just for curiosity. I am going to work with this one for now.
    tinkering

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

I remember the pin mod being used a lot on a socket A Abit board, forgot the model number.. I think it was needed to reach a certain fsb. I think it was needed only on certain socket A chipsets.

If I were you I would look for a used Nforce 2 chipset on ebay. Those things are good for Ocing socket A

Quote Originally Posted by tinkering View Post
    Which of the two is better; just for curiosity. I am going to work with this one for now.
    MOBILE.......oh you were asking ud! He, GM, and several others worked with me on a locked 2500+ & 2800+ and ended up haveing to do the "wire" pin mode for volts but was brave enough to go beyound that.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

i think that was the nf7 and there was a special wire placement for the mobiles to get the 200fsb that worked better than the standard mod. the link i had for it is dead.

tink, the non mobile 2500 would just make it easier because it already has the faster fsb.

i'll get back later.

ud