Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Old Timer GA-7VAX with ATHLON XP-M Barton

my nf7-s runs the mobiles just fine. I am running a xp2500-m at 2.2 but have had it ran at 2.4 without issues.

Chipsets are a solder job?
    tinkering

I loved the XP-M days. Fun times. I have one sitting here, but no PSU to push it.

Maybe I should look on eBay for one of those old Enlight cases with the 250 or 300w PSU.

Where did everybody go? If you leave me alone, there is no telling what might happen
    I am ready to try this highly conductive paint to bridge those solder points at SW1. I want to get that 133MHz or more. I might try x16 too and +5% vcore... I've got some other things to do first too though.
    tinkering

i've been just sittin' around waiting to see which direction you were going to go. i think the conductive paint might be a good option and one that could be changed if you guess wrong. i would try for the 166 and test it outside the case.

ud

Why and how test it outside the case?

I was just going to paint it on, let it cure, fire it up and see if we have 133 or something. If not, scrape it open again. Or I have a dipswitch here too that I could solder on the the contacts with some wire leads, so I can mess with the configuration later if desired; just an idea, maybe the paint first.
    tinkering

exactly!

whatever way is easiest for you.

ud

ud,
    I got results! I started to solder a dipwitch with leads in there and my soldering iron died half way through. I decided to use the rear window defogger repair stuff (it seems like highly conductive nail polish). I put scotch tape over top of the area of the board that I was to bridge; just to keep the conductive paint off of all those micro circuit lines that zig zag everywhere between the contacts and components.
    The conductive paint is laying on the top of the tape but making contact at the solder points. I fired it up without waiting the 24 hrs recommended on the package. I figured it isn't as critical as if it were used on the defogger wires, with the heat generation and all that (besides I couldn't wait

I switched SW1 to 'off' (auto) and went into the bios. We have 166Mhz. I enabled CPU Host Clock Control and checked to see how high it would go manually; 250MHz. I disabled it again and closed the bios with it at 166MHz.

In CPUID we have:
    vCore 1.600v
    Core Speed 2337.0 MHz
    Multiplier x14.0
    Bus Speed 166.9 MHz
    Rated FSB 333.8 MHz

The guy where I purchased the XP-M says:
    "Ok I just attached the manual in PDF format. According to page 12, this is where you will set the CPU Multiplier as per the CPU Setup Guide chart I attached. You have a 266FSB board, so you will use the multiplier setting for 266FSB in that chart.
    for 2200MHz/3200+ you will need to use a 16.5x multiplier.

As per page 54 or the manual, here is where you will set the "CPU Host Clock Control" to 133MHz, and "CPU Voltage" to +5% ...this chip runs at a stock voltage of 1.45v, so 10% boost won't be enough to fuel it higher than 2200-2300MHz...at 5%, it will feed it the 1.525v we need to run it at 3200+ (2200MHz)...this is super low voltage too as a stock 3200+ uses 1.65v.

Also note that Gigabyte often puts the jumper box on BACKWARDS, so when you go to set the multiplier you MAY have to do exactly the OPPOSITE of what the manual says to get the desired result. Hope that helps if you have any questions just let me know...regards"

ud, how do you see it? I went back to bios and tried to select 133MHz; no can do. It looks like 166MHz is what we have with this SW1 bridge fix. Here is a link to that CPU Setup Guide chart: http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/k..._.jpg&newest=1

I have three different manuals now which seem to apply to my board one way or the other. I am confused; above he says I have a 266 FSB board. I am confused with all these different FSBs...DDR...bus speed...rated FSB !!?? It's late and I am getting dopier by the minute.
    Last edited by tinkering; 05-24-2010 at 05:05 AM.
    tinkering

congrats on getting the 166 on the first try. that's what you want. the vcore chart as a guide. run prime95 to check stability and bump the vcore when necessary. watch temps when using prime95. 60c would be acceptable.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

also superpi is a good way to gauge speed gains and a quick way to catch a unstable machine. calculate 1m.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/366/mirrors.php

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    congrats on getting the 166 on the first try. that's what you want. the vcore chart as a guide. run prime95 to check stability and bump the vcore when necessary. watch temps when using prime95. 60c would be acceptable.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

also superpi is a good way to gauge speed gains and a quick way to catch a unstable machine. calculate 1m.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/366/mirrors.php

ud
    Which 'vCore guide' are you suggesting?
    Do I run Prime95 and Superpi at the same time, or just one or the other. If just one, which one?
    You say, "calculate 1m." What are you referring to?

Is there a formula for ball parking the settings for vCore/FSB/Multiplier? One like E = I X R or something (more dumb Qs?)
    tinkering

Is there a formula for ball parking the settings for vCore/FSB/Multiplier? One like E = I X R or something (more dumb Qs?)
    questions are fine. i was referring to the seller's projection on what vcore would produce a particular mhz. nothing more than that.

run superpi first with the different multis. when you click on the calculate tab, a window will pop up with a button to choose different durations. you'll figure it out.

then run prime when you been to think you have the speed where you want it. it's all trial and error.

ud

The seller was talking FSB 133MHz but we have 16Mhz now. Should I still try his x16.5 and his 1.525vCore?
    tinkering

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

OCCT ftw

I tried multipliers from x15 to x16.5; it wouldn't boot up with them, so I went back to x14.

I still have in CPUID:
    vCore 1.600v
    Core Speed 2337.0 MHz
    Multiplier x14.0
    Bus Speed 166.9 MHz
    Rated FSB 333.8 MHz

I don't know what else to try?
    I'm not really sure how to use or what I should be doing with superpi or prime95?
    tinkering

run prime95 for 8 hours as long as the temp aren't going much over 60c. you can also use occt that poci mentioned. it's a nice program that does the same and monitors the system too.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php

14x166 is not a bad oc for 1.60v as long as it proves stable. pushing it another 100>200mhz won't show any real world performance but your free to try by bumping the vcore. along with that will come increases in heat.

ud