Do you install games on the SSD?

The more I read about SSDs, the more tantalizing it is. I still feel like an "early adopter" for the technology though, so I'm not sure if I should get a large drive or a small drive based on today's cost/gb. I'm trying to decide how much storage space I need, and alot of that depends on whether or not I am installing my games on it or not.

I've heard of people saying to get a 40gb for OS and apps, and a storage drive for games. But wouldnt games booting off the SSD be totally awesome?

Re: Do you install games on the SSD?

Quote Originally Posted by fatlazyhomer View Post
    The more I read about SSDs, the more tantalizing it is. I still feel like an "early adopter" for the technology though, so I'm not sure if I should get a large drive or a small drive based on today's cost/gb. I'm trying to decide how much storage space I need, and alot of that depends on whether or not I am installing my games on it or not.

I've heard of people saying to get a 40gb for OS and apps, and a storage drive for games. But wouldnt games booting off the SSD be totally awesome?
    Short answer...No

I have a 80 Gig Intel X-25M.

I have Win 7 x64 ultimate & Office 2010 on the x-25...~46 gigs free
    Just my steam games folder is 170 Gigs (on another drive) No way I could install games on the SSD

^^^ Opposing opinion... I say yes. And loading games from an SSD does rock. I am an early SSD adopter. I purchased the very first 60GB OCZ Core V1 SSD, the same model with the well documented studdering issues. I'm currently using that OCZ SSD to load games from. While it's write speeds are meh.. it still smacks the heck outta any spinning drives in seek and read speeds.

I use an 80GB Intel G1 X25 as my boot drive. I have a 1.5TB RAID1 for storage. If I had ALL my steam games loaded locally I'd need a much larger drive also. I simply only install the games I'm currently playing on the game SSD. With:

COD
    BF2BC
    Stalker
    Torchlight
    Dirt2
    CSS
    Portal

Loaded locally on that 60GB drive I still have 22GB to spare.

That said, If I had to spend that same $300 today I'd simply buy a single 160GB SSD and load everything on it. But for the moment my setup is taking advantage of the drives I have already bought and it's still plenty fast.

My2c.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

faster load times would be great, but games take up too much space, you're better using it as a boot drive with your apps on it and put your games on another drive.

the games will only improve during that short load period, not worth the money IMHO if you're only focused on game load times.

as an os drive however the benefits are near immediate.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

nah, I think SSD ok as boot or OS drive

If you play few games, an SSD is a better option as compared to a velociraptor or HDD. I only play TF2 most of the time, with L4D and Portal being the only other games I have installed. even though my 40GB X25-V is now only 4GB free, I don't expect to get new games anytime soon.

----
    PC #1:

also see profile System Specs and Mods Rigs link
    ----
    PC #2: Lenovo X200t 7449-9EU
    Core 2 Duo SL9400 1.86Ghz
    Intel GS45 chipset - 4500MHD Graphics
    Corsair 2x2GB DDR3-1333 @ 1066 8-8-8-20
    Intel X25-V 40GB
    Wacom Penabled (only MS programs)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit