motherboard appears to be massively under volting

Hey all, I've been working on a new overclock on the rig in my profile. got it to 4.2 ghz but couldnt get her stable so shes at 4.0 now...anyway i seem to be getting significantly less volts than i have programmed in the bios, for example, i set bios to 1.55V, i get around 1.43V cool 'n quiet is disabled, so is Load Line Calibration. any ideas...i think i could get 4.2 to work if i could get the right volts on it. anyway i look forward to hearing your suggestions, thanks.

Re: motherboard appears to be massively under volting

I've never taken a great deal of notice of the reported voltage as it is dependant on various odd things like how the BIOS interprets the signal. My Gigabyte, for instance, allows lots of little voltage steps in BIOS, but CPU-Z reports that it actually ignores most of them and instead just goes up in big jumps at certain values. I would stick with the old advice: if it's stable and the temps are OK, then everything is fine. If it's not stable, bump up the voltage until either it is, or the temps run out of control.

M

sometimes the voltage regulation can get "off" if part of your voltage regulation circuitry is damaged. I had a power connector fry on me, and I didn't even know it until I took a closer look and found the wires blackened by heat. I also had a few capacitors in my power supply which were mushroomed (Indicator that they needed replacing). If somewhere along the way your voltage regulation is not steady, it can upset the balance and give you low or high voltages throughout your system.
    Two power supplies in one case (Connected the green wire) and a Thermaltake 550 PSU in the other.
    Two ASUS M2N-SLI Delux Motherboard
    Athlon X2-6000 and a Phenom 9850
    Big azz 11 bay server tower and a regular 4 bay full size tower. (Noname)
    A speedy PCIe based ATI 1950 chipset and a Radeon 5750 video card.
    4 Gig or 2 Gig Kingston brand (Total 6) DDR2-800 memory
    Around 19 Terabytes in 17 hard drives.
    I refuse to use DVD disks as they die by oxidization, get scratched and would take too many of them to write for the data I have.

My voltages throughout (including vcore) are very stable, they just arent what i set them to be >.>

I didn't mention stable. When you have voltage transients (Very quick changes in voltages), your measuring them will not see the full picture of whats really happening. You can have 5 volts DC with 24 volts AC riding on top of it, and your multimeter won't see it, especially if the transients are in the megahertz range. Some PC components continue to work.

Anyhow, my AMD Athlon 1333 CPU seems to ask for more current than the mobo can provide, and it causes the 12 volt rail to get outa whack, no matter what PSU I use. There are so many different reasons.
    Two power supplies in one case (Connected the green wire) and a Thermaltake 550 PSU in the other.
    Two ASUS M2N-SLI Delux Motherboard
    Athlon X2-6000 and a Phenom 9850
    Big azz 11 bay server tower and a regular 4 bay full size tower. (Noname)
    A speedy PCIe based ATI 1950 chipset and a Radeon 5750 video card.
    4 Gig or 2 Gig Kingston brand (Total 6) DDR2-800 memory
    Around 19 Terabytes in 17 hard drives.
    I refuse to use DVD disks as they die by oxidization, get scratched and would take too many of them to write for the data I have.

do you have the latest bios update for the motherboard? you ever test out that power supply with a voltage meter or other method so see the exact voltages that are coming out of the power supply. with Asus boards there is going so be some undervolting.
    Lian-Li PC-71-Black full tower Asus-M3A78T(790gx) Amd Phenom-2 x4 955 quadcore@3400mhz thermaltake 9900led heatpipe cooler4-gigs ddr2 1066 ocz platinum ram Evga Geforce Gtx 260 ssc 896mb same old Audigy 2 zs and 1 single hd western digital raptor sata 150/10,000rpm/8mb pioneer 22x dvd burner
    Enermax Modu 82+625watt psu 3 12 volt rails 25 amps each acer H233H 23inch 1920x1080p HD monitor same old Klipsch pro media 200watt 3 piece speakers.

Does increasing the voltage increase the realized voltage respectively? But as mentioned, you might have other issues you should test for line power supply voltages under load and firmware updates to check if you havent.
    Mightymouseł - MM UFO---------------------------------------------LAN Box
    Core i7-950 OC -----------------------------------------------------Core i7-920C OC
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (F12)--------------------------------------------EVGA Micro X58
    Sapphire ATI 6970 2GB x 2 Xfire--------------------------------------Gigabyte GTX460OC 1GB x 2 SLI
    6 x 2GB DDR3 - 1600 ------------------------------------------------6 x 2GB DDR3 - 1600
    22 x 2TB Samsung F3 -----------------------------------------------6 x 1.5TB Seagate