newbie folding and forum question

Guy's

Im not sure how to approach this question so if you will please bare with me and my long run on sentences, I do seriously have a point, I swear.

a little background: I'm newish to folding. I folded for another team for a week a year or more ago. I got energized again when I saw your guys forum and all the great interactions that you guys have. I feel like one of the reasons that I fell off the bandwagon was that I felt like I was alone on the bandwagon and if I got off nobody would notice. If they happened to notice I felt no obligation to stay folding.

Hopefully one of the ways I will stay energized is to be active on this board and get to know you guys and help you get to know me.

In the 48ish hours I've been at it again I came up with an idea that might force me to stay active and get involved in the community.

The Idea: I thought I could be your guy's own personal www.wootalyzer.com for all your F@H related equipment from where I work and anywhere else I see good deals at.

Disclaimer 1: I work at a retail electronics store which I will not mention here unless I'm told its OK by the moderators.

An example of what I'm talking about: A few weeks ago they who must not be named had a deal on a I 7 processor and gigabyte motherboard that would normal retail for... ok I have no idea what normal is, but it is currently on the pcper.com pricegrabber for $418 U.S. The unnamed ones were offering it for $340 after sales tax with a $15 mail in rebate. this particular deal was not in the ad, you would only know about it if you went into the store. I just happen to be in the store every day....

I figure that if I see a deal and it helps people get better points per day/ per dollar spent then I can in my own way personally improve team 734 and the F@H effort in general.

Now my questions before I even attempt to start posting any of these things up

1. Is it against the rules/etiquette of the pond to get on here and mention this to you frogs?

2. Is this already going on in a thread that i haven't seen yet?

3. what would you guys like to know more about cpu's, mb's, graphics cards, high-end, low-end or whatever I happen to see that catches my eye requests could be accepted but it will depend if i can do it or not.

4. Is it against the rules/etiquette of pcper.com to mention deals not generated by their price grabber

5. Should I mention the name(s) of the business(s) that I see any of these deals on.

Now before you guys wreak unholy vengeance and retribution on me by burning me if effigy for adding to much scum to the pond please remember. The reason I want to do this is to stay involved with the community. to have people once in a while wonder hey where did that guy go? I need him to stop by I want to build a new system.... He had better be folding!! And even if you don't for me to think that you might be thinking it!!!!

2nd disclamier: I will not make any money if anybody buys any of the things I mention on this site from the store I work for I dont work in that area.

also I am being vague on purpose I have more details I will email them to you personally if you need/want more info/proof. just send me your questions I will respond as best as I can in private email

Thanks for reading my incoherent ravings all the way to the end and please post any comments that you think might make this idea a better one.

Thanks again
    konnex77
    Last edited by noorman; 06-05-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: altered title as asked by original poster

Re: newbie folding forum question:Your input would be appreciated

Hi konnex77,

as far as I 'm aware it isn't allowed to mention shops or deals on the forum.
    This isn't eBay or anything like it, but if you know of deals that could help Froggies to get extra Folding cheaper, I think it would be OK if you handled things by PM or email between you and the interested member.
    Since you indicated that your intention is to help Team 734 members without any financial gains to your person, I think it 's OK.

I 've never bought or sold anything on PCPer.com, so I 'll need to check the 'Rules' to make sure.

Things that can be sold/bought openly on these forums are items of which you are the owner and with which you want to part. 'Trading Post' is that place http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Why we are Folding - Movie
    Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

^^^

Just post the deals in the "hot deals" forum, mentioning they are "in store only"

I believe that's what that particular forum is for...

Just my opinion

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    ^^^

Just post the deals in the "hot deals" forum, mentioning they are "in store only"

I believe that's what that particular forum is for...

Just my opinion

Matt

That would be the thing to do, but I think the idea is to give the deals a preference to the Frogs, to stimulate Folding and/or make it more attractive.
    Don't know if 'his shop' can accommodate all PCPer.com members ...

The latter is for konnex77 to decide or tell us, of course

both good points but if konnex77 is on the level he could PM me with the details since I MOD the hot Deals forum Not sure how we could or would want to keep it from the rest of PCper. Also if these are exclusive prices that there was no other way of finding then I might bump this up to Ryan to see if its kosher.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    both good points but if konnex77 is on the level he could PM me with the details since I MOD the hot Deals forum Not sure how we could or would want to keep it from the rest of PCper. Also if these are exclusive prices that there was no other way of finding then I might bump this up to Ryan to see if its kosher.

This seems kosher to me:
    An example of what I'm talking about: A few weeks ago they who must not be named had a deal on a I 7 processor and gigabyte motherboard that would normal retail for... ok I have no idea what normal is, but it is currently on the pcper.com pricegrabber for $418 U.S. The unnamed ones were offering it for $340 after sales tax with a $15 mail in rebate. this particular deal was not in the ad, you would only know about it if you went into the store. I just happen to be in the store every day.... '

Last edited by noorman; 06-05-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Well hmmmmmrrrrppph.

mmettin the deals aren't in store only its just in the ad that is in the local area is only so big and doesn't necessarily have all the things on sale on it. They are some times on the website which does do international orders(just found this out), so technically they would be able to accommodate all pcper.com members but as to what noorman was correctly interpreted from my Gigantic tome of a post I wasn't trying to drum up business for them.

I guess I was hoping to see something in the store go home find out if it is actually a good price online of course. Then pop in here post a thread here

Bam!!!

it pops up to the top of the posts or threads... people see it they think to themselves " I've been meaning to upgrade that stupid Pentium D HTPC I have.... I've got $85. LETS DO THIS!!!!" time passes folding improves. or they think why would I waste my money on that the thread drops off the front page and dissapears just after the ad or the prices expire.

alas the dream seems to be dead

hrrmmmpphhhh!!!!

btw i have a pentium D and that is why I have been hanging around here trying to figure out what to spend my money on. And why I've been poking around the cpu prices.

also I am happy to tell anybody where I work and all I just didnt want, because the forums seem to be google searchable, to start poping up on google when searching for "company name" and intel SSD40gzr5 as an example. I just think they would think of it as using inside information or something and fire me.

I guess for now when you guys are putting together an adopt a frog I would be happy to help out then with information.

konnex77
    Last edited by konnex77; 06-05-2010 at 11:06 AM.

crap why did you guys let me keep a title of: newbie folding forum question:Your input would be appreciated /dies of embarrassment. can I change it?

Also I guess I could, once I get my folding frog tag, be over there in the hot deals advertising the F@H idea. I wasnt trying to give exclusivity to anyone or group just trying to get involved.

konnex77
    Last edited by konnex77; 06-05-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by konnex77 View Post
    crap why did you guys let me keep a title of: newbie folding forum question:Your input would be appreciated /dies of embarrassment. can I change it?

Also I guess I could, once I get my folding frog tag, be over there in the hot deals advertising the F@H idea. I wasnt trying to give exclusivity to anyone or group just trying to get involved.

konnex77

Of course you can change the title; just Edit it in the first post ...

Re: newbie folding and forum question

So with the title change I have to say welcome and get your portion of the pond stakes out!

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Re: newbie folding and forum question

jedihobit,

ok will do and for now while the moderators discuss it and let me know what they want me to do. I'm not going to post up anything in here. I will be posting things up in the hot deals and link to it in here for now. I will also respond to PM's so if you are looking in the market or just browsing I will be happy to let you know what deals I have seen that are currently going on.

these are the kind of deals I was posting messages about, just posted in the Hot deals area:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...38#post4453238 there are some other lower octane deals but I am easing myself into the water for now and need/want more direction from the moderators
    Last edited by konnex77; 06-06-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: more info
    konnex77