Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

d link gl 4100 drivers?

so, the instructions say that there's some sort of way to adjust the settings on this thing. yet, somehow, they didn't include any drivers on the cd and the only thing on their website is firmware that's in a .bin file which i don't know how to open.

so, how do i get hold of the controls for this thing?

also, it keeps saying my network cable is uplugged over and over again. it does it only intermittently. most of the time it's fine, but every now and then it starts that up (of course i've only had it for about 10 minutes). the ups guy threw it over the fence... that may have something to do with it. the network cables are all jammed in as far as they'll go. i'll try some new ones in a second.
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

Re: d link gl 4100 drivers?

go into system, look for firmware, the rest should be seld explanatory on updating the firmware to the newest. you upload that bin file you downloaded for the dlink site.....
    you have no reason to open the bin file.

how do you log into the router? ( i guess that was that ip my av was blocking even though i wasn't connected to the net???). and is the router firewall functional even when not logged into it?

and also, how do you make it to where NOTHING can get from another computer, hooked to the router, into my computer?
    see the light,
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;

admin for user
    blank or admin for password
    do not allow filesharing on your pc, do not add users other than you self. do not give your password to anyone, as they could map a network drive with your user name and pw.

i still don't know how to log into this stupid thing.

okay, i found the right address for it.

but for some reason it won't take my passwords.
    Last edited by old82; 06-15-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

okay, what the hell is up with this POS?!

i hit the reset button on the back for WAY over 5 seconds, after unplugging it, and it still won't let me in.

i got in once before after resetting, but, for some reason, the passwords i created at that point DON'T WORK! and for some reason it never lets me create an admin password. why?

now fixed, but there is no way to disable the router's ability to have files sent from another computer to mine other than unclicking the "allow simple file sharing" in xp?
    Last edited by old82; 06-15-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

now fixed, but there is no way to disable the router's ability to have files sent from another computer to mine other than unclicking the "allow simple file sharing" in xp?

and what is routing information protocol for?

okay, i disallowed simple file sharing and i deleted the file sharing thing in local area connection properties. is that all that needs to be done?

okay, now i can't log into the router again even though i just set the admin password AGAIN!!!
    Last edited by old82; 06-15-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

okay, is something going on with this thing?

the first time i had to fiddle about to log my way into the router, i had the reverse two entities in my password to get in. even after resetting it (it's supposed to let you in without a password after resetting it).

now, after making sure my password is correct when i remade it, it doesn't work.

why does my password NOT work? it makes NO sense.
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

okay, so using the internet for reset instructions is a bad idea. you're supposed to reset with the power ATTACHED. after doing that everything went fine.

do any of these application level gateway options prevent one computer from connecting to another or even seeing another on the LAN?
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

I'm just gonna say LOL ...?

Quote Originally Posted by old82 View Post
    okay, so using the internet for reset instructions is a bad idea. you're supposed to reset with the power ATTACHED. after doing that everything went fine.

do any of these application level gateway options prevent one computer from connecting to another or even seeing another on the LAN?
    Not even sure what the heck you are trying to do? Who is going to be sending you files on your own LAN that you are worried about?

Or is this some government conspiracy to infect your PC?

If you only have 1 PC not even sure why you have a router? Just turn on windows firewall and get an AV software.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

what's up with the asinine and idiotic comments?

i have no idea what the other person that's going to connect to this router does on their pc. viruses have already been found and supposedly deleted on it. i don't want their pc connecting to mine in any way whatsoever. i don't want it setting rules for the firewall either actively or passively.

and why would i have a router if i didn't have another person connecting to it?

and again, why do you see it fit to berate me, in all your ignorance, for asking something so simple?
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

Ok do you own more than one computer that needs to access the Internet? If not then why do you need a router then?
    Case Lian Li LanCool PC-K62 PSU Corsair HX850 Motherboard EVGA X58 E757 Video Card EVGA HD 570
    CPU Intel I7 930@3.5GHz Cooler CoolerMaster V8 Memory 6GB(2GB x 3) GEIL BLACK DRAGON PC3 12800
    DVD Drive LiteON DH401S DVD Burner LG GH22NS50 System Drive 60GB SSD Mushkin Callisto
    Additional Storage 300GB VelociRaptor 74GB Raptor Seagate 1.5TB Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Soundcard SB X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty PCI-E Headphones Razor Barracuda

i am not living alone. there is another computer that needs to use the same connection. that's why i got a router.

why is that so hard to figure out?
    see the light,
    Martin Niemöller:

Becuase in most of your posts you just seemd to be giving us an account of your current frustrated status of trying to log in and ' reset ' your router. Instead of an actual question.

Z asked why you have a router if you only have one computer connected to it. Do you have more than one?

If you dont know what the other person connecting to your router is doing... ' un plug ?'

If your worried about what that other person is doing ' unplug ?'

If your not sure what the other person is doing ' you have other issues I suppose'

If you turn off simple file sharing and require logins and passwords on your computer install a good firewall. your doing your fair share of protecting your pc from the network. But if your on the same physical network as me ... and I REALLY want to get into your computer.... is probly gonna happen pretty easily.

Didnt' mean to berate you.... you just didnt seem to be asking a question ....