Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new workstation build - keeps crashing

Hey everyone,

I've put together a workstation for the wife recently and I believe I'm having issues with RAM. The problem i'm having is that the system just crashes at random times and reboots. I come here in hopes that someone will be able to help since i'm running out of ideas. I believe that my issues are related to not having the correct settings in bios for memory/cpu

here are the specs:
    Asus P7H55-M Pro
    Core i3-530
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 with XMP profile - CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
    Antec Sonata III 500 with an Antec 500W PowerSupply
    Win 7 Home 64bit
    Using Integrated Graphics (on cpu)

Here is what I have done:

- I have ran memtest on each stick one at a time and each passes
    - If i run memtest with 2 sticks in, the system will crash. It crashes by rebooting
    - I tried leaving all the AI Overclocking settings to auto - crashes
    - I tried setting the memory profile to run at the XMP setting - crashes
    - I tried manually setting the timings in bios as stated on the ram chips and the voltage - still crashes

It seems like no matter what setting I try the system crashes at some point. I've even had Prime95 running overnight without a problem thinking that i've solved it, then the wife starts using the PC and it crashes on light load (browsing net, msn, etc)

I read in the MB manual that if i'm using XMP memory that it only supports 1 DIMM per channel. Is there an optimal configuration on which slot I should put the 2 sticks? I currently have 1 stick in slot A1 and the second in slot B2. Is there a better configuration when installing the dimms?

Any help would bee great.

Re: new workstation build - keeps crashing

The manual should make clear which slots are for dual channel. I would suspect A1 and B1 or A1 and A2

The chip does not support 1600 memory (1066 and 1333, http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...ocessor=i3-530) so try those settings and do not over clock until you have established stability at failsafe defaults and optimal defaults. USe cpuz to read the SPD settings and make sure timings are appropriately set in bios.

If psu is old could be that, also check your temps, as bluescreens indicate memory and you don't seem to be having those. could be cpu related.
    Check your board maker for cpu support and or new bios and intel for video drivers.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    The chip does not support 1600 memory (1066 and 1333, http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...ocessor=i3-530) so try those settings and do not over clock until you have established stability at failsafe defaults and optimal defaults. USe cpuz to read the SPD settings and make sure timings are appropriately set in bios.
    WOW, good point! I totally forgot to check if the CPU supports that memory speed profile. I was so focused on reading the motherboard manual instead.

I have made changes in bios to run the memory at 1333 and i'm running prime95 to see how it goes.

Good Luck!!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by milkster View Post
    WOW, good point! I totally forgot to check if the CPU supports that memory speed profile. I was so focused on reading the motherboard manual instead.

I have made changes in bios to run the memory at 1333 and i'm running prime95 to see how it goes.

How have things panned out ?

(just curious)

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

XMP profiles work on all i3/i5/i7 models

all 1156 variants run 1333 stock, and all 1366 run 1060 stock.

XMP are verified and certified profiles by INTEL itself.

switching to the xmp profile should not cause the crash, but if running memtest causes a crash with both modules installed (in the blue dimms)
    then it's a fault with the ram itself.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Quote Originally Posted by JSLEnterprises View Post
    XMP profiles work on all i3/i5/i7 models

all 1156 variants run 1333 stock, and all 1366 run 1060 stock.

XMP are verified and certified profiles by INTEL itself.

switching to the xmp profile should not cause the crash, but if running memtest causes a crash with both modules installed (in the blue dimms)
    then it's a fault with the ram itself.

Or RAMs not compatible with mobo+CPU setup ...

Just an update to all that are curious....

I still have the RAM, although I did get an RMA from Corsair....

I have been messing with the voltage settings in bios to see if I can get the ram stable and here is what I have found so far.

If I have all the voltage settings on AUTO and the memory speed set to 1333 or 1066 it WILL crash - that is 100% guaranteed.

The memory is on the QVL for the mobo. So I know that this ram is compatible with the mobo.

Right now I have manually set the memory timings in bios to what is written on the dimm itself (9-9-9-24) and set the DRAM Voltage to 1.70 (DIMM says 1.65 but bios only have 1.60 or 1.70).
    CPU voltage is set to 1.18
    Memory Speed is set to 1333 MHZ

These settings appear to have stabalized the system but i'm not 100% convinced yet. I have ran OCCT for 6hrs and it did not crash. Prime95 ran without crash also.

Before, the system would not crash during the stress testing but it would just turn off during regular usage (no games, just e-mail, word processing, web) so I have to use the system to see if it is stable.

I'm wondering if these settings stabilize the system, should I still send the memory back to Corsair under RMA OR should I look at the CPU itself? I have read that the i3 have weak Memory controllers and maybe mine has some other issues?

I should also add that i'm not interested in overclocking the RAM (running XMP) since this is a basic workstation for a business. The only reason I bought this ram was because it was on sale and it was on the QVL.....
    Last edited by milkster; 07-05-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Maybe it just was the Vdimm which is now 1.70 V ...

You also could do a test run with SuperPi http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

There 's also this one: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Last edited by noorman; 07-05-2010 at 04:10 PM.

you should do a bios update on the board, the early asus bios's were pretty limited as to what your settings could be at, the updated bios' will give you better increments and add stability to the board as well. Setting your voltage to 1.7v could burn out the imc on the cpu.
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 07-05-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

if you check the spd tab in cpuz, your more than likely going to find a vdimm lower than the 1.65 specs for your ram to run 1600. so the auto setting was more than likely the problem.

now that you have the vdimm set manually to the correct voltage, you should be fine.

when you check memory use memory86.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38201

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    if you check the spd tab in cpuz, your more than likely going to find a vdimm lower than the 1.65 specs for your ram to run 1600. so the auto setting was more than likely the problem.

now that you have the vdimm set manually to the correct voltage, you should be fine.

when you check memory use memory86.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38201

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146

ud
    Actually the SPD spec for 1600 has 1.65 as the voltage. The lower memory profiles say 1.5 so I will lower the voltage and see what happens.

noooo! don't change the vdimm. you had it where you wanted it.

If I have all the voltage settings on AUTO and the memory speed set to 1333 or 1066 it WILL crash - that is 100% guaranteed.

you need the 1.65-1.70v to run the higher spec.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    noooo! don't change the vdimm. you had it where you wanted it.

you need the 1.65-1.70v to run the higher spec.
    ud
    BUT i don't want to run the XMP profile, I just want to run the Memory at 1333 and JDEC #3 specifies a voltage of 1.5. For XMP profile it specifies 1.65
    Last edited by milkster; 07-06-2010 at 12:01 PM.