Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: new workstation build - keeps crashing

I just want to add that I just tried to change the memory voltage settings down to 1.50 from 1.70 without touching anything else and it crashes.

The SPD info tells me to use 1.50 but at that voltage the system is not stable.

I am currently running at 1.60 and no crash yet. Will have to see what happens....

Here is what my settings are right now:
    BCLK: 133
    Multiplier: x22
    CPU Voltage: 1.18125
    DRAM Voltage: 1.60
    Memory Controller Voltage: 1.15
    Memory Timings set to: 9-9-9-24

Quote Originally Posted by milkster View Post
    I just want to add that I just tried to change the memory voltage settings down to 1.50 from 1.70 without touching anything else and it crashes.

The SPD info tells me to use 1.50 but at that voltage the system is not stable.

I am currently running at 1.60 and no crash yet. Will have to see what happens....

Here is what my settings are right now:
    BCLK: 133
    Multiplier: x22
    CPU Voltage: 1.18125
    DRAM Voltage: 1.60
    Memory Controller Voltage: 1.15
    Memory Timings set to: 9-9-9-24

Might be a faulty Vdimm regulator or measurement circuit which results in the memory sticks not getting the correct supply Voltage, as demanded by the SPD.
    That then triggers a bad performance of the memory sticks.

I find it very odd that this board only supports Vdimm Voltage changes of 0.10 V; that 's too big a jump for that low default Voltage !

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

So are you saying that this might be a motherboard issue?

So are you saying that this might be a motherboard issue?

Might just be that this silly 1.50 or 1.60 or 1.70V malarky is the cause of it.

Asus must know better than almost anyone that much RAM is now 1.65 Volts (default / preferred), so they should give you at least the choice to go up and down by 0.05 Volts for Vdimm !

What I would try is upgrading the BIOS to the latest version: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=vOvmywqPUY78qUzh
    Version 1304
    Description P7H55-M PRO BIOS 1304
    Enhance the compatibility with certain memory.
    File Size 2.9 (MBytes)

Use one of the 2 BIOS Utilities from Asus (from the same download page) for safety !

The latest BIOS update mentions a fix for memory compatibility; that might mean that they changed that setting to f.e. 0.05 V steps !
    That would solve this business once and for all, IMO.

Last edited by noorman; 07-06-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post

Might be a faulty Vdimm regulator or measurement circuit which results in the memory sticks not getting the correct supply Voltage, as demanded by the SPD.
    That then triggers a bad performance of the memory sticks.

I find it very odd that this board only supports Vdimm Voltage changes of 0.10 V; that 's too big a jump for that low default Voltage !

thats why I said to do a bios update. the initial bios that came with my asus board were in 0.1 increments too. I update my bios whenever a new one comes out. so far, the incremental updates (13 as of today for my board) has increased the options in the bios (cpu option and support, extended options for certain things and smaller increments for increasingly percise voltage ect), made the system increasingly stable, and allowed the system to run a couple degree's cooler (adjusted microcode for the vrm and phase switching)
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Thats what I though also about the bios but I was already on ver. 1303 and ram voltages were only changing by 0.10.

I just downloaded ver. 1304 and it still changes in increments of 0.1

Is it possible that there is a setting that i need to change in bios to get smaller increments for adjusting ram voltage?

Thats what I though also about the bios but I was already on ver. 1303 and ram voltages were only changing by 0.10.

I just downloaded ver. 1304 and it still changes in increments of 0.1

Is it possible that there is a setting that i need to change in bios to get smaller increments for adjusting ram voltage?

That 's not the usual way of things BIOS; I very much doubt it
    I think they missed a nought (zero) in the 0.1 Volts and it needs to be 0.01 V steps / would work much better anyway !
    Bad Asus support !

I once was a big Asus fan, years ago, but after I had a DOA board bought new and then a few boards failing prematurely through the 'Bad Caps' syndrome, I swore never to buy another Asus board.
    Did the same with MSI (for the same reason / died after less than 1 year, only used in the weekends).
    Since then, I 'm with Gigabyte.

Last edited by noorman; 07-07-2010 at 04:03 AM.