Back running SETI again

Been 4 years since i last logged in here.Dunno why but was thinking of SETI and the old amdmb.com crew that used to be on irc.So I downloaded the mac client and am back in the game.Just might have to install an irc client and see if any of the old boys are still there...

Re: Back running SETI again

Welcome back, Raistlin!
    ASUS A8N5X | Athlon 64 X2 4600+| Stock AMD heatsink and fan | 2x1G Corsair PC3500 | WD 250 Gig 7200/Maxtor 30 Gig 7200 | Sony DVDRW| NEC DVD/RW | eVGA 9600GTS | XPCBox w/Antec 500 TruPower PS | WinXP Pro SP3

Every day Gregory Peccary would get into his little red Volkswagen and drive to the ugly side of town, where they keep the government buildings.

Thanks.Just checked irc and no more #amdmb.com channel

Yeah that old channel disappeared long ago, but a some of the old crew still hangs out here.

Glad you made it back!

Hey do you have a PC with a modern video card? If you do you should check out the numbers you can get on one of them.

this rig is a pc running macosx.Has an intel quad 6600 and 9800 gt nvidia card in it. Don't know if it can crunch faster or not? I should set up boinc on my amd quad 940 with an ati 4890 vidcard? Which rig would be a better cruncher?

Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.

Welcome back, good to see some new/old competition.

BTW ... anyone had any luck getting the CPU client and GPU client to play together nicely?

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin5 View Post
    this rig is a pc running macosx.Has an intel quad 6600 and 9800 gt nvidia card in it. Don't know if it can crunch faster or not? I should set up boinc on my amd quad 940 with an ati 4890 vidcard? Which rig would be a better cruncher?
    If you're only running SETI you'll need the 9800gt for GPU crunching, SETI doesn't support AMD GPUs... yet. SetiBeta is still testing Astropulse for AMD cards. I don't know how those two CPUs compare so I couldn't tell you which setup would be better though. Either way, check out the optimized apps here.

Quote Originally Posted by molestedbyasus View Post
    BTW ... anyone had any luck getting the CPU client and GPU client to play together nicely?
    Which projects are you having trouble with? Have you tired setting the GPU to suspend while the computer is in use (keyboard or mouse)?

thanks for the info. I'll check out the optimized apps later tonight.http://forums.pcper.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin5 View Post
    I was running 32Bit Linux on a 6600 with a 9800GTX. So I wasn't able to get the video card to crunch for me (I needed a 64Bit Linux or Windows OS). I'm not sure what the requirements would be running Mac OS X.

In either case, ai5000 linked to some good CPU optimized clients (including some for Mac OS X). That should give you a speed boost.

welcome back!

Thanks

running with 3 laptops getting over a 1000 points a day now...

It has been a while im back as well. I do miss those old ambmb.com irc days....but im back at any rate need to spin up another couple rigs as well they are running may as well make them useful
    Chromedragon

Meddle not with the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
    Artificial Intelligence is no macth for Natural Stupidity!!
    "Expensive equipment does not make up for a lack of talent!"

Kewl !! Should pass 300.000 sometime today !!