Partition effieciency

Hi I have been wondering for sometime the most efficient way of using a partitioned drive and or multi hard drives.

The main use for my computer is running Microsoft flightsimulator fs9 and fsX. I currently run XP pro on a WD1600AAJS hard drive with 7 partitions. Xp on the 1st, fs9 on the 3rd and fsX on the 5th partition.

Does it make any difference what goes on which partition ie. is the 3nd partition more efficient than the 5th?

I am thinking of reloading all these programs and hope to improve frame rate particulaly for fsX.

Alternatively would each program be more efficient on separate hard drives?

Look forward to your advice.
    Regards
    John

Re: Partition effieciency

The first partition is always the fastest. Any partitions after the halfway point on the drive onwards can be in the ball-park of 50% slower than the first partition. So basically if you're installing the FS games onto the 3rd and 5th partitions, you're forcing them onto slower parts of the drive. The typical hard drives can only move the heads to the same part of the drive at the same time, so basically by doing what you're doing, when you load the game you're forcing the drive to reach across the drive and back again multiple times just to load the game.

Better to have one drive with one partition for just OS & apps. Keep them regularly defragmented with a good quality defragmenting program like Raxco PerfectDisk, Executive Diskeeper or O&O Defrag (they're not expensive). This will mean that the games and the OS are as close together as possible, reducing wear and tear on the drive and also improving performance.

If you wanted to go further, you could get yourself an SSD, which will perform just as well regardless of how you partition the drive. Some people also go to the extent of installing their apps onto a separate drive, but IMHO, it offers only a small gain and can cause more trouble than it's worth. I do agree that another drive for personal data is a good idea. Means that the important stuff on the Windows drive will be able to exclusively occupy the fastest part of the drive and also means less stuff to transfer when you need to reformat/reinstall.

Regardless of how you end up reconfiguring your data, it's probably not going to yield as much performance in the games as you'd like them to be. They're fairly CPU and GPU intensive games, so if you were thinking of buying more drives, your money may be better spent on a better graphics card or CPU. We could probably better advise you if you fill out the System Specs Dropdown in your UserCP and then enable it in Options
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 07-22-2010 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks for all that good advise, I was suspicious I was doing it wrong.

Have updated system spec. and activated it as suggested.

I am trying to decide if to reorganise and update this system or save up for a new one.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

John

That system is pretty outdated. About 6 years ago it would have been reasonable, but not now. The RAM is outdated, AGP graphics cards are all but a distant memory, motherboards of that age are hard to find, the CPU is only single core when quad cores are all the rage now, etc, etc. A new PC will also give much better bang for buck over doing upgrades. It sucks, but you won't care about that when you've finally bought the new rig