oc evga gtx460 1gb SC

my evga gtx460 1gb arrived yesterday. i spent some time pushing the clocks on it (stock on this is 763mhz core) reviews say they can get these over 800 and sometimes up to 900.

anyway i played with it until it was stable in benchmarking and stress tests (using the evga precision app) at about 850. but when i fired up a game (modern warfare 2 in this case) it runs for a couple min in game and then turns off. instantly, powers down like i had pulled the plug out of the wall. no warning of any kind. my screen overlays were showing nothing too hot on the gpu.

makes me think it was the power supply. anybody have advice, if i'm looking in the right direction?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817339002
    that's my psu, i've had it since i got the 9800GX2 that this card replaces and i've never seen anything like this.

i tried a couple lower OC settings but eventually restored it to stock clocks before it would get through a whole match with out turning off. seems fine at stock clock.

so, is the instant off usually psu related? or something else?
    i'm not disappointed with the performance of this card stock, just thought i could get a little more juice out of it. maybe i'll have to wait for my next build?

Re: oc evga gtx460 1gb SC

Quote Originally Posted by jntracks View Post
    my evga gtx460 1gb arrived yesterday. i spent some time pushing the clocks on it (stock on this is 763mhz core) reviews say they can get these over 800 and sometimes up to 900.

anyway i played with it until it was stable in benchmarking and stress tests (using the evga precision app) at about 850. but when i fired up a game (modern warfare 2 in this case) it runs for a couple min in game and then turns off. instantly, powers down like i had pulled the plug out of the wall. no warning of any kind. my screen overlays were showing nothing too hot on the gpu.

makes me think it was the power supply. anybody have advice, if i'm looking in the right direction?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817339002
    that's my psu, i've had it since i got the 9800GX2 that this card replaces and i've never seen anything like this.

i tried a couple lower OC settings but eventually restored it to stock clocks before it would get through a whole match with out turning off. seems fine at stock clock.

so, is the instant off usually psu related? or something else?
    i'm not disappointed with the performance of this card stock, just thought i could get a little more juice out of it. maybe i'll have to wait for my next build?
    I'm going to guess it's a power thing...

Do you have the 6pin connectors all from the same rail ?

i'd try different rails (1 connector from each rail)

And if you are using (EVGA)precision try to run the fan at 100% before you start the game

And I've never heard of that power supply before

From the newrgg reviews

Pros: I've already reviewed this product once but I just want to come back and share some more information. From what i can tell, rails one and two are dedicated just to the PCI cords on the supply. and to make things even easier on us, they nicely labeled which rail the connectors are attached to. this is to keep from overloading one rail, but i have a feeling some of you complaining about your PC shutting down don't realize this (because i didn't at first lol). i made my build with one radeon 3870 originally. worked fine. the card used one PCI 6 pin wire. recently i just added a 3870X2 card (yes, you can crossfire a X2 with a single GPU card). this 3870X2 required both a 6 and an 8 pin connector, so i grabbed the wires at random. come game time my PC shut down during crysis. upon inspection i realized that i was using all wires on rail 2. duh! so, i switched out the 8 pin for the one on rail 1. ...continue down...
    Cons: this made it so that i had the two 6 pin connectors running off rail 2 and the 8 pin running off of rail one. i rebooted my computer and everything was fine, so i decided to put it under load and booted crysis back up. well, i just got done with a 2 hour session of crysis and my PC never flinched. now, i'm not saying this is everyone's problem, because DoAs happen, but this is definitively something that should be kept in mind when building your PC with this supply.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

i was thinking about using different pci-e power plugs. i'm not sure but i don't think they're marked as to what rail they're each on. i'll have time to experiment with it tonight, probably.

anyway, that's in like with what i was thinking. i'll be doing an all new build sometime nearer the end of the year and now that i've found this site i'll have some better advice on PSU's

edit: oops! i was replying at the same time. good find! this sounds like i had the issue right, i'll look into changing the rail later tonight!

thanks!
    Last edited by jntracks; 07-30-2010 at 06:27 AM.

ok i opened it up and found that i'm already using one 6 pin from each of the 2 pci-e rails.

oh well. i might try playing with the fan but my screen overlay showed that i didn't have time to heat up the chip before it crashed. i think my psu kicks off as soon as it starts wanting more voltage... oh well, no OC 'till i make my new build

Might want to also invest in the inexpensive wattage meters for your system. Handy just to get overall ratings on how much power consumption you are using over time etc. But personally I would back down the overclocks to see if you can find a stable running configuration.

Too many people assume they are stable first and jump right into overclocking without proper burn in time to see what they have to begin with. You need to know what is working first before you go make changes. Dont be to quick to try to see results because patience will pay off in the long run. Once you know it works well and stays cool during long gaming sessions at 800 for instance, move up by a few megahertz, not 50... Try moving up by 10 at a time. I know it doesnt seem like as much fun, but you dont know where the ceiling is, dont assume it is the same as others. Right now I have two of mine overclocked to 850mhz, but that is just what I am at right now. Within a week (because I have limited time I play games) I might push that up a little bit and try more. Good luck.
    Mightymouseł - MM UFO---------------------------------------------LAN Box
    Core i7-950 OC -----------------------------------------------------Core i7-920C OC
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (F12)--------------------------------------------EVGA Micro X58
    Sapphire ATI 6970 2GB x 2 Xfire--------------------------------------Gigabyte GTX460OC 1GB x 2 SLI
    6 x 2GB DDR3 - 1600 ------------------------------------------------6 x 2GB DDR3 - 1600
    22 x 2TB Samsung F3 -----------------------------------------------6 x 1.5TB Seagate

to follow up on this, i found that my power supply, even though it was rated for 750w it was on 4 rails. each rail only good for 19A.

i remember when i bought that PSU the multiple rails seemed like a good feature. little did i know that i was really limiting the scale of the hardware i could use. note to self, multiple rails good for lots of little bits of hardware but no single piece can be big.

so i got the corsair TX950 (that will stay with me through future builds) and it's all rock solid. not even coming close to using the full power of this thing.

i found a review useing the evga 460 SC that i have and used their overclock so i'm at 836mhz core clock, 1673 shader, 4220Mhz memory (QDR) with no over voltage.

it's clean and not one hiccup for weeks now. that's my style, find somebody who's done the work and go with their numbers.
    http://www.jntracks.com - what i like to do