Question My kind of motherboard

I look at the motherboards reviewed here and none seem to be of the type I nomally will look for. I've been building my own PC's (mainly for games) for over 15 years now and I always have trouble picking the right motherboard. It seems like they either have every bell and whistle or it's a stripped down version. I guess the things I am looking for or not what most people want?

First off since I am building this for a game I want a motherboard that has no onboard video. I am just gonna disable it so I can put in the graphics board I want.

Second I don't need raid support. I have a Windows Home Server that backs up my gaming maching every night. I really only need a couple of SATA ports.

Sound is ok on the motherboard. I don't have good enough speakers to take advantage of 5.1 sound sound that most motherboards have now. In fact most times I am gaming with headphones on anyway.

So does this website ever review a motherboard that is like this? Sound, Plenty of memory, overclocking, network, sound. And maybe two SATA ports, High end video port, a couple of usb plugs, and the standard keyboard and mouse. I would like to save the money they put into the video and raid so I can buy more cpu, memory, and video.

Anything like that out there?

Re: My kind of motherboard

The problem is that you are not really paying any more money for the onboard video, sound, etc. They are all on chips these days, and in many cases, such as with the AMD chipsets, or the new Intel chips, are integrated right onto the MB chipset, or even the CPU itself, in the case of the Intel.
    You pay a premium for 2+ PCI-e x16 slots, extra SATA ports, heavy-duty cooling for chipset, mosfets, etc. Multi-phase power supply. You get the idea. My HTPC has a great MB, it is an older P5Q from Asus, and is the type of MB you are talking about, solid performance, overclocks well, has normal goodies, and was around $100 a couple of years ago. I dont know if anyone has similar available now, but I see lots of $300 MB's!

Now here's a motherboard that looks good.
    ECS P55H-CM (V1.0) Motherboard
    I found this one at www.tigerdirect.com
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...092&CatId=4720
    It's only $60.00 once you get done with the rebates. Does anyone know anything about this motherboard? Can I overclock easily?

ECS was never known for beeing overclocker friendly.

I guess the first question to ask is how much are you going to spend on the system? If you want something that will be upgradable a few years down the road this is an important question.
    AMD has several different options that are reasonable, price wise. Intel to me seems like a lot of money with little performance gain for the amount you spend.
    A nice AMD AM3 board can run from as little as $60 to as much as $300, and comparable boards for Intel run the same. The big difference is the CPU. AMD has several to choose from. The AMD's seen here http://www.buildacasecomputers.com/category/32919526 are considered comparable to the Intels chips here http://www.buildacasecomputers.com/category/32787336. Many will argue which chip is faster or more energy efficient, however both products have pros and cons.

Memory also plays a big part in your choices. Depending on which CPU the cost of memory varies. Once again Intel tends to be a bit higher than AMD, so in my book I use AMD due to costs.

Over all Intel systems tend to be higher costs, so there is where you need to make a decision.

As for all the extra stuff on the boards it is easy enough to disable the extras in bios these days without being a rocket scientist.

I think setting a budget should be the first priority, then you can look at what you can afford.

G
    Last edited by gryphyn; 09-14-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    AMD 630 Propus @3.22 mhz
    4G XMS DDR3
    Gigabyte 5570
    1 120 ide boot
    2 160 seagate sata raid 0
    2 500g wd sata raid 0
    Win 7
    850 Thermaltake psu

Quote Originally Posted by xiz0r View Post
    ECS was never known for beeing overclocker friendly.
    This is a true statement, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI have been in the front of the overclocking world for the last few years. Each of these manufacturers have easy to O/C boards. I tend to run ASUS from a personal point of view.

G
    Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    AMD 630 Propus @3.22 mhz
    4G XMS DDR3
    Gigabyte 5570
    1 120 ide boot
    2 160 seagate sata raid 0
    2 500g wd sata raid 0
    Win 7
    850 Thermaltake psu