Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy BIOS ROM checksum error. Please help

'BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media
    INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'

Recently my computer has been displaying this checksum error more and more frequently, until now it won't boot past this message at all. I'm unable to access the BIOS, and all attempts to use a floppy disk with the AWDFLASH file have been unsuccessful.

I've got an old Acer Aspire T130 desktop, and have tried to use the files on Acer's support site to no avail.
    I don't even know what make or model the motherboard is, so finding alternative downloads hasn't been possible.

Can anyone make any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Nick

Re: BIOS ROM checksum error. Please help

hey

the last thing you want to be doing is flashing the bios.

i'd start with getting a new battery. cr2032, they can be had at just about anywhere that sells watch batteries.

let us know how that goes.

ud

thanks for the reply.

I should have said i've tried a new battery, and also the 3 pin bios jumper to reset it. Neither had any effect.

The fact that this error has become more and more frequent until this point suggests to me that it is a problem with hardware, but then i dont really know what i'm talking about when it comes to computers

Quote Originally Posted by nickgrigg View Post
    thanks for the reply.

I should have said i've tried a new battery, and also the 3 pin bios jumper to reset it. Neither had any effect.

The fact that this error has become more and more frequent until this point suggests to me that it is a problem with hardware, but then i dont really know what i'm talking about when it comes to computers
    after you replaced the battery, did you reset the bios to default ?

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    by using the 3-pin jumper? Yes i did, but it didn't change anything

At the moment i don't see an alternative to flashing the bios, and i dont have anything to lose since i cant start my system up.

I've found some downloads from Acer : http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...pire_t130.html

I tried putting various combinations of files on a floppy disk, but my computer just gives me the same error message as before.

The files i've downloaded are as follows:

75MB02.BIN
    BIOS Summary.txt
    FLASH.BAT
    WinFlash.exe
    WINFLASH.HLP
    WinFlash.sys
    Awdflash.exe

Any ideas on what files i should put on the floppy to make it work? Will i need to download something else?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    did you enter the bios and load either default or optimal settings, save and exit?

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    did you enter the bios and load either default or optimal settings, save and exit?

ud
    No, i'm not able to enter into the bios settings - the first thing to come up is the error message, and i can't get past that

Try it WITHOUT the battery at all.

Also, try unplugging the PSU from the wall, then pressing the power button and holding it down for a minimum of 30 seconds to completely drain the system or residual current, then plugging it back in and powering it up. Do this WITHOUT the bios battery.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    Try it WITHOUT the battery at all.

Also, try unplugging the PSU from the wall, then pressing the power button and holding it down for a minimum of 30 seconds to completely drain the system or residual current, then plugging it back in and powering it up. Do this WITHOUT the bios battery.
    thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried both of your steps, but neither has worked. This is getting really frustrating now

Cheers,
    Nick

Sounds like it's time to try the good old DFI/Abit Long Bios Clear. That often times fixes odd bios problems. You must follow ALL of the steps. If you miss one you need to start over from step one.

1. Remove power from the rig by disconnecting the power cord from the wall outlet.
    2. Make sure the PC Speaker is plugged in.
    3. Remove the Battery.
    4. Press the Start Button on the case or motherboard and hold it down for a minimum of 30 seconds to drain the capacitors.
    5. Move the CMOS jumper to CLEAR.
    6. You may leave the board in this condition for as long as it takes to clear the CMOS. If a short 30 second clear or a 15 minute clear doesn't work, try an 8 hour clear then a 24 hour clear.
    7. Plug in a PS2 Keyboard.
    8. Disconnect all external peripherals plugged into the USB ports including mice, keyboards, printers, external drives, etc.
    9. Put one stick of RAM in the slot closest to the cpu.
    10. Replace the Battery.
    11. Move the CMOS jumper to Normal.
    12. Press and hold the Insert Key on the Keyboard.
    13. Apply power to the rig by plugging the power cord into the wall outlet.
    14. Press the Start Button to power the rig up while holding down the insert key.
    15. When you hear the BEEP, release the Insert Key and press the Delete Key on the Keyboard.
    16. Once you enter the BIOS set the DATE and TIME then Load Optimized Defaults.
    17. Save and Exit.
    18. Enter the BIOS again and set it up the way you want for your particular rig.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    Sounds like it's time to try the good old DFI/Abit Long Bios Clear. That often times fixes odd bios problems. You must follow ALL of the steps. If you miss one you need to start over from step one.

1. Remove power from the rig by disconnecting the power cord from the wall outlet.
    2. Make sure the PC Speaker is plugged in.
    3. Remove the Battery.
    4. Press the Start Button on the case or motherboard and hold it down for a minimum of 30 seconds to drain the capacitors.
    5. Move the CMOS jumper to CLEAR.
    6. You may leave the board in this condition for as long as it takes to clear the CMOS. If a short 30 second clear or a 15 minute clear doesn't work, try an 8 hour clear then a 24 hour clear.
    7. Plug in a PS2 Keyboard.
    8. Disconnect all external peripherals plugged into the USB ports including mice, keyboards, printers, external drives, etc.
    9. Put one stick of RAM in the slot closest to the cpu.
    10. Replace the Battery.
    11. Move the CMOS jumper to Normal.
    12. Press and hold the Insert Key on the Keyboard.
    13. Apply power to the rig by plugging the power cord into the wall outlet.
    14. Press the Start Button to power the rig up while holding down the insert key.
    15. When you hear the BEEP, release the Insert Key and press the Delete Key on the Keyboard.
    16. Once you enter the BIOS set the DATE and TIME then Load Optimized Defaults.
    17. Save and Exit.
    18. Enter the BIOS again and set it up the way you want for your particular rig.
    Wow, thanks for the long and detailed reply MrNovi.
    I'll give this a try.
    Just one point of clarification: do i hold down the insert key from step 12 all the way through to step 14, or can it be released between stages?

Also, i have a development to report
    This morning when i turned the system on all was the same, except i noticed two beeps (which were probably happening all along)
    I turned the computer off, then on again to listen to the beeps but instead i got a different error message:
    CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
    Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup.

Because i didn't have any time at that point (i had to go to work), i pressed F1 and all booted up as it should. I turned the pc off and went to work.

Now, 10 hours later, i'm back to where i started with the BIOS ROM checksum error.

Maybe this situation will give some clues as to what the problem is?

Thanks again for all your help,
    Nick

Yes, you have to hold down the Insert key until the directions tell you to release it in step 14.

If they are two short beeps then it usually signifies a bios error. The next time you get it to boot up LEAVE IT RUNNING for at least an hour. That might help quite a bit.

Well, something worked.

After leaving it for around 20 hours then turning it on it gave me the CMOS checksum error rather that the BIOS ROM error.

I went into the bios settings, set the time and date, and selected the 'Apply default settings' option.
    Since the CMOS error had already said 'Defaults restored', i also went into advanced settings and had a look. I decided to change the boot order from the Floppy booting first to the hd booting first.
    Then i saved and exited.

Now all i can get is the BIOS ROM error again.
    Very frustrating, but maybe i did something wrong?

I had the option of booting normally - should i try that and change something once i'm in windows?

Thanks,
    Nick

Try disconnecting the floppy drive altogether.