Thread: OC or Not?

OC or Not?

I'm new to this whole overclocking thing, so please don't get angry with me ):
    So I have an Intel DX58SO motherboard with an Intel i7 920. I assume that to check the processor speed, you'd just right click on Computer in the start menu and click Properties (BTW, I'm in Windows 7 x64). The stock speed on my CPU is 2.67 GHz, and I've overclocked it to a safe 3 GHz, or at least that's what my motherboard says. In the Computer Properties window, it still says it's at 2.67 GHz. Is that supposed to be like that? And if so, how am I supposed to know if the overclock is working?

And one more question while on the subject: Windows shows my processor as being 8 cores, although it's advertised as a quad core CPU. This isn't a bad thing, I'm just wondering why...

Thanks!

- Ben

Re: OC or Not?

Windows reports the default CPU settings, not what the CPU is actually running at. It gets this info by interrogating the CPU. The BIOS splash screen will play the same game on most systems. CPU-Z as linked above is what you need to see what your CPU is actually running at (anticipates question about SpeedStep... ).

Each i7 core has two streams which can work semi-independently. If you run SETI for instance, it will show eight precesses at once.

M

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by PxDEc View Post
    And one more question while on the subject: Windows shows my processor as being 8 cores, although it's advertised as a quad core CPU. This isn't a bad thing, I'm just wondering why...

Thanks!

- Ben
    Hyper threading

Since you have a nice genuine intel board, consider running intels own Desktop Control Centre
    Your mobo is listed as specifically supported.

Edit, more direct link here : English: IDCC.5.5.0.42.Release
    Last edited by -=SparX=-; 09-11-2010 at 07:08 AM.

When OC need cooling that is excessive but not too excessive. If stock cooling, leave it as it is or smaller overclock that's stable. I'm not very confident about stock cooling with OC though. :/ I'd be confident with better cooling.