Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone still using Peltier's?

I just pulled one out of a Lincoln Navigator climate controlled seat. It can practically freeze your ass off in the vehicle so I'm wondering if it will cool my CPU. Right Now I'm running my 965 125W @ 4.16Ghz. That's with a Corsair H50. I'm thinking about sanwiching the pelt between them and see what kind of cool I can get.
    Anyone have any input?
    John

Re: Anyone still using Peltier's?

You need serious cooling to get rid of the heat from the hot side of the pelt, and the H50 is nowhere near good enough for the job. I hereby predict that pelt/H50 combo will be less effective than the H50 on its own - but I'm happy to be proved wrong. The reason that people went off pelts is mainly that water cooling got so good that the extra hassle of the pelt wasn't worth it. That and the ensuing fireof the water-cooling broke down. If you want more extreme than water nowadays you go for phase-change.

M

So what you're saying is I need to do a mod on my window A/C unit...
    I have an extra one out in the wood shed. I've thought of modding it for CPU cooling but never got beyond the thought stage.
    I may just give the pelt a quick go of it just to see. I'd rather not fry my CPU although I have been looking at that 1099t for a while now.
    John

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Yeah an H50 I dont think will be able to handle a pelt. Maybe just maybe with TWO super high pressure fans in push pull config.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Yeah an H50 I dont think will be able to handle a pelt. Maybe just maybe with TWO super high pressure fans in push pull config.
    It wont even then, there isnt enough tdp ability by the h50's thin rad to do it.

It really ends up depending on the wattage of the pelt. if its an 80 or so watt, then it will be able to, but only witih the pelt turned on when needed instead of steady (similar to how the peltier cooler works in the CoolerMaster V10)

anything higher you're looking at needing a full blown water cooling setup.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

^^^ What they said. Done my bit with pelts. You need to make sure your water setup can handle what the hot side of the pelt is gonna toss at it. Add in the extra and power circuits necessary to delay startup until the pelt is up and running plus the insulation/grease needed to make sure condensation does not become an issue...

Long story short.. stick with what you have unless you have a LOT of time and extra $$ to burn. For a potential few hundreds Mhz increase.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Doon1 View Post
    I have an extra one out in the wood shed. I've thought of modding it for CPU cooling but never got beyond the thought stage.
    I may just give the pelt a quick go of it just to see. I'd rather not fry my CPU although I have been looking at that 1099t for a while now.
    John
    Saw a guy that ran a duct from his CPU cooler through a hole in his wall to the outside and pumped in cold air. This was in Minnesota (IIRC) in the dead of winter so has pumping in VERY cold air. Of course I donít know how he got over the condensation and moister in the air he was pumping in, so it might have just been one of those internet hoaxes.

Then again people often do CRAZY stuff
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Quote Originally Posted by RatboyX View Post
    Saw a guy that ran a duct from his CPU cooler through a hole in his wall to the outside and pumped in cold air. This was in Minnesota (IIRC) in the dead of winter so has pumping in VERY cold air. Of course I donít know how he got over the condensation and moister in the air he was pumping in, so it might have just been one of those internet hoaxes.

Then again people often do CRAZY stuff
    Condensation really is the killa. I remember when I got my first classic Athy 500 > 1Ghz. I had it sitting in front of a wall AC unit. My hands used to get so cold...
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

I have, er, access, to a recirculating chiller from work (they haven't used it for ten years). It can circulate water/antifreeze down to around -35oC.It was always the condensation angle which put me off using it (and the electricity bill).

M

Have thought about DIY cooling before ,
    how about using the Peltier cool to cool the water that You run through the
    system.?

I can't imagine that a pelt is very good at cooling a moving fluid? It might well work but a) you'd need a cooler for the hot side of the pelt still, and b) if it did work, you run into all the condensation issues mentioned above.

M

Quote Originally Posted by burtta View Post
    Have thought about DIY cooling before ,
    how about using the Peltier cool to cool the water that You run through the
    system.?
    There is literally no point. As the pelt will produce more heat that needs to be dissipated than the cooling ability on its cold side.

You have to think, you're using energy to move heat (another form of energy). That energy being used to do the work in moving the heat, in return, is producing more heat (physics 101 - 'work'). The heat produced on the "hot side" of a pelt, while it has current running through it, is almost double the cooling ability of the "cold side" (basically for every one degree C cooler on the cold side the hot side goes up approximately 2 degree's C)

If you want your cpu to be frigidly cold and sustained, your only real solution is phase change. And one has to as stated by jester worry about condensation (vaselene or dielectric greaseon the mobo usually is the key)
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 09-18-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Quote Originally Posted by Doon1 View Post
    John
    I thought about just hooking my computer up to the office 5 gallon water cooler . it would only take a slight mod to the water cooler and some insulation on the lines / block .it would be a much easier mod the the ac unit.Not phase cooling but it would make a extreme water cooler because you could run the water thru it at nearly the freezing point .
    Last edited by tweav; 09-18-2010 at 11:01 PM.

From my memory, from years ago...

Peltiers have on average a 0.4 to 1 cooling coefficient. For every one watt spent, they'll move 4/10ths of one, and they dissipate 1.4 in heat. They get less efficient as they get hotter.

So to cool 125W worth of dissipated heat ( more since you overclocked ) you're going to need a peltier that draws 310 watts of electricity and dissipates 435 watts...did I get my math right? Might just be 310 dissipated, probably not.

Then you get into what happens with sub ambient cooling, all the condensation, etc...

Most compressors have a minimum 3 to 1 cooling coefficient. So they cool 3 watts for every 1 spent and dissipate 4 watts. Still expensive, but much better than peltiers. Last time I looked they don't get better than 5 to 1.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

For the guy that wanted air conditioning, phase change is air conditioning modified to cool CPU (the evaporator is placed on the cpu)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)