Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Resolved] Poor network performance

Right now i'm copying some files from my laptop to my desktop as follows

Laptop (Wireless N, 2.4 Ghz, 117Mbps, same floor as router) -> Router (DIR-655, gigabit) -> Desktop (Wired, gigabit).

For quite some time I get maybe 1-2MB/s transferring files between devices on my network. Even if I had both computers on wireless G connections with poor connection quality I should still be doing better than this.

This is one of those situations where there could be a million reasons but I'm hoping that another forum resident has perhaps run into, and figured out a similar problem. Any advice?

Does having a 100BaseT device on the network cause all devices to go 100BaseT? Heck, even 100BaseT gives you much better bandwidth than what i'm getting.

Edit: More details, the laptop has a 5400RPM drive, purchased this past summer, the desktop is copying to a secondary drive, a caviar green recently purchased. Neither drive is a top performance drive, but neither are decrypt either.

This all takes place in the basement of a single family home. There are no other wireless networks running. I can barely pick up one neighbors network at all. No baby monitors or microwaves running. There are portable phones running at 5.8Ghz and that's about it. The only other wireless device connected in the area is a PS3.

Calculating that I am about halfway done the transfer of 11GB after an hour and a half-ish it confirms that it is moving in the 1-2MB/s range, I know windows isn't always accurate but it's pretty close on this particular transfer.

No hard-drive processes are visibly running, no defrag, no torrents, no other file transfers or applications that transmit data often. The only data transfer happening aside from my file copying would be general browsing and F@H clients communicating with Stanford every so often, neither client is sending/receiving WUs at this time. Both machines running 64-Bit Windows 7. Even though i'm over an hour into the transfer i'm going to cut it off and try hard lining between the two devices as even if i get up to 3-4 MB/s it would still take me less than an hour.

With both machines wired into the DIR-655 I'm getting about 11MB/s. This is still far lower than both the write speed of the Caviar Green (90-ish MB/s) and the GigE network connection. I assume the read speed of the laptop drive is at or above the write speed of the desktop write speed.
    Last edited by Shambles31; 09-21-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Re: Poor network performance

Going back to Wireless laptop to wired desktop I'm now getting 4.5MB/s. I should be getting about double that as the wireless-N is rated around 110Mb/s at the moment. Also, transferring files from my primary to secondary on the desktop also shows that write speed to the secondary is indeed around 85MB/s and it decreases as the file progresses, but still about what I would expect.
    Last edited by Shambles31; 09-21-2010 at 11:42 PM.

A couple of ideas to look at first.

1.) Try a ping test between all systems.
    2.) Try transferring a file smaller then the lowest ram size between the pair.

if one of your devices is Draft N, and another is N, then they may not 'talk' to one another nicely. Sometimes it'll actually revert your wireless back to G/Super G.
    Also, antivirus progs will scan the data as its coming in and slow the transfer right down too.
    I had to remove the antivirus on my fileserver as the cpu (old P4 3.0e) was being taxed with both the transfer and proactive scanning.... it maxed out cpu load and maxed out the transfer speets at ~16mb/s
    Without the anivirus running on my file server it went back up to around 85-95mb/s (would go faster if the hardware was newer - non-PCIe based GB lan).

Sometimes, its the things you least expect that cause network performance drops.
    Edit: check the firmware of the router and see if there are any updates, also, update the nic interface drivers (most likely realtek, marvell, or intel)
    Last edited by JSLEnterprises; 09-22-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

What happened to the Windows version of Iperf .. I can't find it anywhere now?

New beta version in source form is available at http://iperf.googlecode.com/.

As for Jperf binary.

http://code.google.com/p/xjperf/

Thnkx for the Jperf2 link

Sadly I can't get beyond 33 MBytes/sec with both firewall/anti-virus off
    and even direct connect between 2 GigE computers

ps - as far as wireless to a wired Gig-E connection
    it measures about 4.5MBytes/sec
    using laptop's built-in 802.11b
    Last edited by MrBlack; 09-23-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSLEnterprises View Post
    Without the anivirus running on my file server it went back up to around 85-95mb/s (would go faster if the hardware was newer - non-PCIe based GB lan).
    Can you do a test with the Jperf for comparison?
    Are you using Jumbo Frames?

Probably should stick with helping out and waiting for a reply from the OP.

Actually I just ran this jperf utility and it's quite handy. Is this reading/writing to the HDD or the system memory though?

Either way I'm seeing around 3.5MB/s on jperf, turning MSE off on the laptop it's up to around 4. I have no anti-virus running on the desktop so I'm out of things to disable. Depending on if jperf uses my storage or memory I'm going to have to look at the disks or the network.

I'm pretty sure the hard drive doesn't come into play at all
    so it helps to narrow it down to just network problems

Updated the firmware on the router. It wasn't the original firmware but wasn't the newest either. It did not affect my transfer speeds which are still sitting around 4 MB/s. Time to start digging in my network adapter settings and router settings. I'll post if I find anything useful.

Check your AP to see if it is running in mixed mode
    (supporting all b/g/n)

if so, try switching it to strictly N

And have you tried a smaller test file to see if the speed drop is consistent?

At least my wired to wired connection is behaving better. Copying files shows rates all over the place thanks to wherever caching is happening but it averages around 60 MB/s which agrees with the testing with JPerf I'm seeing at 53MB/s. I believe this to be from the firmware update.

However my wireless is still garbage. I found that the routers QoS function was enabled. I disabled that but it did not affect my wireless performance. JPerf is showing 4.1 MB/s, transferring files over windows, both large files above my ram size, and smaller files around 300MB is showing 5.1MB/s. It should still be in the 10-12 range. Wireless adapter is set to maximum power output and throughput enhanced was tried both on and off. Neither affected it. Trying to switch my router to N-only mode now.