What type of graphics card can I add to my Dell Inspiron 530S?

I have to get a PCI Express 16 type graphics card for my Dell Inspiron 530S but when the sales staff ask me about my systems clock speed and what type of power my system has depends on the graphics card then I just feel abit lost trying to figure it out. When I opened up my Inspiron and had a look at the inside it had two white slots where I think the graphics card should go. So I was wondering what type of graphics card to get and could I add two graphics cards to my system? I have an Intel Core Duo CPU E6850 3.0GHz processor and 4GB of RAM and Vista.

sttubs is offline Always learning something

Re: What type of graphics card can I add to my Dell Inspiron 530S?

What is your power supply rated for (it is usually listed on the side)? Is there any unused PCI-E power leads (0 or 1 or 2)?

V 115/220
    6.0/3.0A
    50/60Hz
    are what it says on the side. Is that any help for my graphics card choice.

Yes I think I remember seeing at least 1 unused cable marked PCI when I opened it up. I will check again later.

The information about the powersupply would be written on the inside of the computer, on the side of the powersupply its self. You'll need to find a label something like this:

This one states that it has a peak load (power) of 450W.

As for the port connections on the motherboard, check to see which of these are available:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia: PCI Express

PCI Express slots (from top to bottom: x4 , x16, x1 and x16), compared to a traditional 32-bit PCI slot (bottom), as seen on DFI's LanParty nF4 SLI-DR.
    And here is what the PCI-E power supply connector will look like. Make sure its the same (note the notches, and number of pins)
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 09-28-2010 at 06:41 PM.

I did some more searching on about your computer and found this on Wikipedia:
    Inspiron 530s

The Inspiron 530s has the same design as the 530, but it is 41% slimmer. However, because of its design, it is not physically compatible with all desktop hardware, especially graphics cards (Dell only gives you the option of the ATI 2400 XT, which is not a high performance card). The case used in the 530s can accommodate one 5.25" optical drive, one external 3.5" drive (either a 1.44Mb floppy or 19-in-1 card reader), and up to two standard 3.5" hard drives. The motherboard used in the 530s is the exact same Foxconn G33m02 mATX motherboard used in the Inspiron 530. While almost any low profile PCI-E x16 video card will physically fit in the 530s, the custom sized Delta 250W power supply that the 530s is equipped with may seriously limit the potential for using higher end cards.
    So it sounds like you may be limited in what you can purchase for this computer. The two things you'll have to watch is the power consumption of the video card, and make sure its a low profile PCIe video card.

But please do look inside your computer and confirm that your power supply really only is 250W, and see if you have a PCIe power connector or not. After that we can make recommendations.

No where on the side tag does it say PEAK LOAD.
    it does however say at the top - V 115/230~
    and lower down the tag it says - V115/220~

but in both places it's the same - A6.0/3.0
    AND 50/60Hz

Any good?
    Would a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4550 do.
    Elsewhere it said it would work well.
    What do you think?
    I have a PCI Express 16 type slot but all I could find for the above card is called PCI-EXPRESS 2.0 type. Would that make a difference.

I think to be safe you have to get a low profile card that keeps the power consumption below 250W, which might fudge on by a few watts because manufactures always have a buffer, however Power Supplies degrade a little over time, so you could be fine today, and in a year find you have odd issues due to power. What is the card you have in your system now?

Here is a card that would probably work:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129142

A low profile 4350, I think anything more powerful will consume too much power for your power supply. Assuming that you do in fact have a 250W ps. I have also heard that Dell typically under rates their power supplies, so I would probably not have a problem pushing your power consumption to the limit of its rating. I would recommend buying local at a place that will take the card back. Once you get it, run something to really test it to make sure everything works and is stable.
    Last edited by DerekLanham; 09-28-2010 at 07:35 PM.