Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buzzing sound that varies with load

The issue... When I am in World of Warcraft, my friends on Vent notice that it sounds like there is a FAN in the background, yet there is not any background noise. Additionally, I notice that there is a buzzing sound that I also hear, but only when I am in WOW. I tried other games... and any game or application that drives the video card to work harder, creates the buzz, and the frequency of the buzz seems to vary based on how hard the video card is working. I updated all the drivers.

Here was my original hardware:
    Antec Three Hundred Case
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Motherboard
    EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
    Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD
    1TB SATA Drive - For data and storage, some programs that aren't disk intensive.
    500 Gb SATA Drive
    2 x 40GB IBM X-25 SSD (in striped mode for the OS and a few other things)
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit

I upgraded to Windows 7 - No change in the problem

I upgraded the sound card to a HT Omega, no change. Then I upgraded the sound card to an Sound Blaster X-Fi, and no change.

I read that this problem could stem from a bad capacitor either on the Video card, or in the power supply. So, I upgraded the Video Card. I put a Palit GTX 460, and the volume of the buzzing went down significantly. I deduced that it is possible the problem was actually in the power supply, and the new Video card put less demand on the power supply, therefore the buzzing went down.

So I replaced the Power supply with an Antec 850W TruePower Quattro. And the problem didn't change at ALL (I am considering SLI, so I think i will keep the new PS)

I also noticed that the sound seems to get worse when I use a headset, but that is just probably the nature of using the headset.

I have visually inspected the capacitors on the motherboard, and they seem fine. Additionally, something that I didn't notice before the upgrades, but I hear some sound interference that is much more subtle but seems like it comes from hard drive or CD Rom Drive Spin-up.

At this point, I have practically bought a new computer and I still have the problem. Any advise would be appreciated.

Re: Buzzing sound that varies with load

I've read on another forum I visit that there seems to be a buzzing noise after people bought the Fermi 460 vga card. Some people think it has to do with the drivers. I would try nVidia's latest video card drivers, or even beta drivers. See if that helps any.

If the buzzing continues, uninstall the video card drivers, and then reinstall them. However, do not install the HDMI audio drivers. If having the option to not install HDMI audio (so that your video card's hdmi can transmit sound), then find a way of disabling it in the nVidia control panel.

Well, it sounds to me like it could be a bad ground or some form of electrical interference. Of course, both of these could be a stretch.

Try a different outlet and a different surge protector and see if that helps. If you have access to something that would condition the line (like a UPS), that would be a good quick check too. These 2 items are super easy to check and cost little to no money to validate.
    AMD Thuban 1055T @ 4ghz
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3
    4 Gig Mushkin Memory
    500 Gig WD Caviar Black HDD
    Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum
    Antec 300 Case
    BFG 750 watt SLI Powersupply

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
    I've read on another forum I visit that there seems to be a buzzing noise after people bought the Fermi 460 vga card. Some people think it has to do with the drivers. I would try nVidia's latest video card drivers, or even beta drivers. See if that helps any.

If the buzzing continues, uninstall the video card drivers, and then reinstall them. However, do not install the HDMI audio drivers. If having the option to not install HDMI audio (so that your video card's hdmi can transmit sound), then find a way of disabling it in the nVidia control panel.
    Buzzing before and after the Fermi 460, actually got better with the 460 over the 260 I had before. And yes, I did upgrade the drivers. clean, etc... I don't believe this is a driver issue.

Does anyone else have an idea?

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Check card and motherboard caps.

Buzzing is almost certainly Capacitor Whine. My first ASUS P5K-VM had this and I immediately RMAed it to the store. When you talk about load, do you mean CPU load or GPU load? Be specific?

----
    PC #1:

also see profile System Specs and Mods Rigs link
    ----
    PC #2: Lenovo X200t 7449-9EU
    Core 2 Duo SL9400 1.86Ghz
    Intel GS45 chipset - 4500MHD Graphics
    Corsair 2x2GB DDR3-1333 @ 1066 8-8-8-20
    Intel X25-V 40GB
    Wacom Penabled (only MS programs)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

So the only thing you have not changed is the M/B correct?
    Case Lian Li LanCool PC-K62 PSU Corsair HX850 Motherboard EVGA X58 E757 Video Card EVGA HD 570
    CPU Intel I7 930@3.5GHz Cooler CoolerMaster V8 Memory 6GB(2GB x 3) GEIL BLACK DRAGON PC3 12800
    DVD Drive LiteON DH401S DVD Burner LG GH22NS50 System Drive 60GB SSD Mushkin Callisto
    Additional Storage 300GB VelociRaptor 74GB Raptor Seagate 1.5TB Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Soundcard SB X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty PCI-E Headphones Razor Barracuda

My ancient A7N8X MB does this under heavy CPU load, and has been for years. I was expecting it to die, but it doesn't. The sound comes off the MB, near the CPU socket - I never did pinpoint it 100%.

Annoying but (in my case) harmless.
    "If you want me to go on arguing, you're going to have to pay for another five minutes" - John Cleese, The Argument Clinic

I can't remember where I read it for sure, but I think it was over at guru3d that this can be caused by a power supply that doesn't supply enough power to the video card.

Question Re: Buzzing sound that varies with load

So this is an actual buzzing sound and not just the sound of the video card fan spinning faster?
    Skaarj-laptop:Asus G750JW-NH71,Win8.1,Corei7-4700HQ,12GB DDR3 RAM,Nvidia GTX 765M 2GB,Realtek HD,TSST CDDVDW SN-208DN,WDC 750GB HD...
    SkaarjMasterDuo:WinXPSP3, Core2Duo E8600(Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P),Noctua NH-C12P,4GB Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 RAM,Nvidia EVGA GTX-750Ti 1GB,SB Audigy2 6.1,Klipsch 5.1 sats,Dayton sub,Pioneer VSX-819H-K rec,,Enermax 850W PSU,Lian-Li PC-71B full tower,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T,2-1TB WD HDs.....
    Dragonslayer (at Mom's house now): WinXPSP3, P4 3.2GHz(Asus P4P800-Deluxe),Thermalright SLK-947U,3GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM,ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB,VGA Silencer,SB Audigy2 5.1,Seasonic 500W PSU,Silverstone FT01-B mid tower,LG DVD burner,Asus E616P3..
    Dragon1: (off for now, will not boot) Win98SE, AthlonXP 1900+(Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+),Thermalright AX-7, 512MB Crucial 2.5 DDR PC2100 SDRAM MSI GeF4Ti4400,SB AudigyGamer,Enermax 431W PSU...

Quote Originally Posted by JackVancouverBC View Post
    Buzzing is almost certainly Capacitor Whine. My first ASUS P5K-VM had this and I immediately RMAed it to the store. When you talk about load, do you mean CPU load or GPU load? Be specific?
    GPU load, but I replaced the GPU and the Power Supply, as well as others mentioned above?

Quote Originally Posted by SkaarjMaster View Post
    So this is an actual buzzing sound and not just the sound of the video card fan spinning faster?
    That is not it, almost certain, but a good thought. the frequency changes too fast for the fan speed to be the source.

Quote Originally Posted by millerman61 View Post
    I can't remember where I read it for sure, but I think it was over at guru3d that this can be caused by a power supply that doesn't supply enough power to the video card.
    Since I replaced the power supply and upgraded it from 550W to a 850W, I don't think that is the case. I also added a batter backup to the system, and it tracks power consumption, and as best I can tell, my whole system WITH the monitor maxes power consumption at about 250W, which is hard to believe with all I have in the system, but even it it is off some, I should still have lots of excess power.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest_One View Post
    So the only thing you have not changed is the M/B correct?
    That is just about right, and it is the only thing in my system that has capacitors that could be causing the problem... maybe since the new video card is more efficient it lowered the draw of power through the capacitor on the MB (granted the GPU has its own power connectors, which cause me to think this is an unlikely source)...

Anyway, I think this is the only thing left. My rule of thumb for upgrading MBs is that I need to double the performance to pay for a new MB, CPU and RAM, as you typically have to do all at the same time. And I don't think I can do that for a reasonable price probably for another 6-12 months.