Vista License ???'s

I own a licensed OEM copy of Vista.

Can I use my disk to install on another PC using his OEM license on his case sticker.

I want to do a clean install on a PC that had Vista loaded but the HD craped out. The Restore Partion is of no use.

So again the question is can I use my disk and his License (Product Key) located on the side of his PC?

Thanks,
    Butch

sttubs is offline Always learning something

Re: Vista License ???'s

It would work, but not technically legal. The oem software is supposed to be tied to the motherboard, so if using the old motherboard it would be nice and legal. The most you might have to do is call to register it after installing, they usually just ask if it is alrady installed on another computer.

I had to switch out the MB that fried. And I have no problem calling MS.

My OEM disk his Product Key. Why would that be problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I had to switch out the MB that fried. And I have no problem calling MS.

It should not be a problem, so as long as your OEM disk is not one from Dell and his is a non-Dell. The Dell DVDs tend to behave quirky when using another OEM key to activate.

No my disk is just a plain MS disk. And a new Asus MB in a HP machine that crapped out after 2 years.

Thanks! I'll let you know after I try it this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    His license may be an ASUS OEM version and may not validate with a vanilla MS OEM disc. All that means is that you might need to to use phone activation if online activation doesn't work.

Technically your mate is supposed to have his own disc for his own installation, but MS aren't going to care so long as it is his own license key

OK for those looking. I was able to load Vista 64 bit(OEM Disk) and use the phone activation after using the OEM sticker number during install.(This was a trashed used PC)

Is it legal or ethical(how do you spell that??)I don't know. But if HP, as in this fix, doesn't supply a disk without added expence why not try? If the HD or MB craps out why should the consumer have to pay MS for something they paid for from the manufacturer?

Maybe if I try to activate Vista again using my OEM disk with a number from another PC I will be denied so be it. But to a child who just couldn't afford the extra $90, they just got a new PC for the price of a MB.

Don't Trash That Old Laptop!! So many students who can't afford a new laptop could use that slow old machine for school.

Thanks,
    Butch

If it is an HP machine, you could have gone to HP online and ordered a new install disk. HP has the HP restore/install disk for around $10.00 for XP. I would think Vista would be about the same cost.
    Gigabyte 870A-UD3 motherboard
    AMD AthlonII 64 X4 640
    G. Skill 4GB DDR3
    MSI N460GTX
    WD 1Tb 7200rpm hard drive
    NEC AD-7240s DVD burner
    Windows7 sp1