i7 iMac or High End System PC?

So I've been wanting to get a new computer and although I've always owned PCs, I've been thinking about getting a Mac this time around and the reason why is because I do lots of video and audio work and most jobs I look into require that you know how to work with Final Cut Pro and that's something I only get to use at school every now and then.....I really am a fan of the Adobe programs and use Premiere with After Effects.

But anywayas, I've been looking between the following systems:

1) High End system build here on the PCper HW Leaderboard
    I've got plenty of SATA WD Black drives but would buy a 120GB or so SSD
    Basically I'd need to buy everything but the HDDs for this type project.

2) The new iMac 27"
    - 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    - 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
    - 1TB Serial ATA Drive
    (Final price of $2,400...minus FCP)

Which do you guys think I should go for?

I really enjoy working with PCs but could get used to macs if needed and I do like how they are a bit more stable....I've not had many issues but every now and then my PC will BSOD if I push it hard enough....

I also use Adobe Audition which is windows only...so I'm assuming I can use a virtual machine without issue to run that, correct?

Re: i7 iMac or High End System PC?

Probably you can build a faster PC than the iMac with @ half the price?

If it were up to me, I would definitely go with the high end PC, but it all boils down to personal preference and budget. $2400 is a pretty hefty price for what you get, but if you're willing to spend the money (and if you think it'll benefit your career) then go for it.

First off let’s answer the question from a job point of view. If using Final Cut Pro will help you get a Job in the field you love then it’s worth the investment to go with a system that lets you run it.

Having said that, the price you pay for a Mac is outrageous.

The new iMac 27"
    - 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    - 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
    - 1TB Serial ATA Drive
    (Final price of $2,400...minus FCP)

I decided to see what it would cost to buy the components from New Egg to build a similar NON Mac system. I’m trying to match what the Mac is using where listed and I’m not cheeping out on components either. The biggest issue I think is going to find a high end 27” LCD to go with the system but lets see how well I do.

iMac CPU Choice - 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    My choice - Intel Core i7-875K Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Unlocked Desktop Processor BX80605I7875K $329.99

No listing for iMac MB
    My MB choice -ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard $149.99

iMac RAM choice - 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
    My choice -CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
    Timing:7-7-7-20 $234.99

iMac HDD choice - 1TB Serial ATA Drive
    My choice for HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $79.99

The official site didn’t list which video card your choice came with but looking around it’s going to be one of the following I decided to give Apple the benefit of the doubt and go with the HD 5750
    ATI Radeon
    HD 4670
    HD 5670
    HD 5750.
    My choice -SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 $139.99

iMac Monitor is highly hyped and integrated with the system. thats got Pros and Cons IMO.
    My Monitor choice - this one had good reviews as well as Height, Swivel, Tilt adjustments
    Acer B273Hbmidhz Black 27" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ACM 80000:1(1000:1) Built-in Speakers & USB $339.99

Case, Apple is known for innovative design in their system cases, and while I don’t think much of the new iMac design I though I would toss something truly interesting into the mix. Also showing that I’m not cheeping out to make the Mac look worse.
    My case Choice - Antec Lanboy air Blue Black / Blue Computer Modular Case $199.99

Don’t know what Optical drive that Mac has but I liked this. At this price I might get one. If you preffer a DVD burner that’s aboult half the price.
    My Choice -LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk – OEM $99.99

No idea who makes the PSU for the iMac
    My PSU Choice -SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $99.99

And LAST but not least an OS… Hummm well I can’t legally buy and install OSX on this system so…….
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders – OEM $139.99

Now let’s total it ALL up

Let’s see I come up with

OS – 139.99
    PSU – 99.99
    Optical Drive – 99.99
    Case – 199.99
    Monitor – 339.99
    Video Card – 139.99
    HDD – 79.99
    RAM – 234.99
    Motherboard – 149.99
    CPU – 329.99

For a total of - 1814.90

iMac price – 2400.00

So a home built system that is identical to or at the very least of no lower quality than the iMac in question is 585.00 cheaper. You can add in a few bucks for Keyboard and mouse however I could have cut corners on the build and still had a comparable system so it’s sort of a moot point.

People will say, well the iMac is all about the OS and the software it runs. Fair enough but then I have got to say that people complaining about the cost of Windows OS need to look at the alternative. So Is OSX truly worth 585.00 ?

The only way I say yes is if it helps you get a job. Funny that’s what I said to start isn’t it?
    Last edited by RatboyX; 10-07-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Completely agree with Ratboy... if it will help with your job then get the Mac. When I got my Macbook pro, I got the best screen and stuff from them, but the lowest harddrive/ram and upgraded those on my own for much cheaper. I also applied an academic discount to the mac store to get my price down.

I am a Microsoft developer and bought my macbook for the business reason of building iphone/ipad/mac applications. I use vmware Fusion to emulate Windows and it all works great. I had some initial growing pains as I was trying to do stuff the 'windows' way on a Mac but have now settled in on it. Remember with bootcamp and such you can run Windows and OSX on your mac, with a homebuilt system, you can't do that.*

Also buying a Mac is kind of like buying a Lian Li case. Yes, you can get cases for $20 or pay $100 for a Lian Li case. Neither is necessarily right or wrong depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

*Depending on your interpretation or respect of EULA, you could also look into a hackintosh.
    Last edited by Gator650; 10-07-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: more clarification and typo fixing.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Well how stable are hackintosh computers?
    It would be nice to be able to mess with and learn FCP while not having to spend so much on a machine just for that purpose...

Eventually when I get a job with a large company I will probably be given a Mac Pro station to work at every day but until then, I really want to learn FCP.

I think it depends on what parts you use and what build you use yada yada.

I have not personally done it, but I do follow stories on it... like lifehackers:
    http://lifehacker.com/322866/hackint...pro-benchmarks

I am not 100% sure, but I think http://hackintosh.com/ is the premier site for information.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

High end PC, Windows 7. I'm not really member of cult of Jobs.

i7 iMac if you have to, however iMac make me feel that I can't tinker more inside like PC.

I went with a high end PC myself after thinking about a mac for about 2 minutes... Seriously I did consider it, but I like to build my own PC's and a Mac is overpriced IMO.

My dads friend likes dem Mac Pro's for work.