OS Upgrade w/ SSD at the same time?

The wife's laptop w/ vista has gotten pretty slow. I can get a student copy and license of windoz 7 enterprise or professional upgrade. I'd like to install the OS on an intel SSD at the same time. It's got a 5400 rpm 250gb that I'll keep in it for storage. Compared to that wouldn't any of the ssd's be a huge upgrade?

I can't believe the prices on the X18M and higher, would it be worth waiting for them to come down in price? Maybe a 7200 rpm might be in order?
    Last edited by RJ_Hythloday; 10-12-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Re: OS Upgrade w/ SSD at the same time?

As nice as the Intel SSDs are they are not the do all, end all of SSDs.

You might want to take a look at some Mushkin or Corsair drives. They have the new force drives out that work great and are extremely fast.

I just put a new Mushkin 128G in my netbook and the difference is phenominal.

Also, if you go with Windows 7 all (or most) of the drivers required will install automatically.

As far as a standard HHD goes, give a look at the Seagate hybrid drive. It has more storage than the SSD and is a lot faster than the stock drive. I installed one is an Acer laptop and it also made quite a difference.

Good Luck with whichever path you choose.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Wow, at $65 that seagate momentus xt 500gb sure fits the bill. Hadn't heard of that, been out of the loop a bit. Thanks for pointing it out.

Actually I was referring to the Seagate 250GB Momentus XT 7200.1 SATA 2.5in Hybrid Drive w/ 32MB Cache but you will see a great improvement with the seagate momentus xt 500gb also.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.