Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: New i7 Build, Critics needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    Instead of two 470s why not one 480?
    Another possible choice for the mother board is the evga x58ftw3 it offers everything that the asus board does minus a spidif out.
    Your setup sounds very nice, my 7.1 surround sound gaming headset requires a spdif optical to fully function so the x58ftw3 is a deal breaker, but very nice.

Now for a question that apparently quite a few more then just myself have wondered :

GTX 470 SLI vs GTX 480 single

GTX 470 = $330 x2 = $660 (newegg sales price don't know how it will hold $380 reg price)

GTX 480 = $470 (newegg sales price also , $500 reg price

Price dif = $190 up from 480's base price OR 40% mark up from single 480

Now, lets looks @ performance differences....

Source : http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=1

You can check the link for details but I crunched the numbers comparing GTX480 single and the GTX470 SLI, since all the data was available from this benchmark. (test is actually comparing scalability of BOTH models, but data is still relevent to this purpose)

I averaged all the results across all the games listed, since we don't buy GPUs for a single game. We will play many games and derive our total experience that way.

I drew my numbers only from the 1920x1200, since thats an avg. res most people will play at aprox. Also the other res test run just about the same since all the cards use the same "Fermi" Tech on dif scales.

Games are set at max graphics and are mostly 4xAA and 16xAF (in all games that support AA/AF that high, but again are maxed)

DX10 games :

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Far Cry 2
    Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X
    Resident Evil 5
    World in Conflict

DX11 games:

DiRT 2
    Metro 2033

Frame Rate

GTX 480 FPS results: Min/69 Max/148 Avg/104

SLI 470 FPS results: Min/84 Max/213 Avg/141

470 SLI Net gain: 21.7% 43.9% 35.5%

3D Mark Test

GTX 480 : 9247
    SLI 470 : 13412

SLI 470 Net gain = 45%

GPU Score

GTX 480 : 8986
    SLI 470 : 13170

SLI 470 Net gain = 46%

PSU Efficiency
    Total system @ load

GTX 480 : 448 watts

SLI 470 : 589 watts

SLI 470 Net lose in efficiency = 31%

Now OBVIOUSLY the GTX 480 in an SLI config would put ALL these values to shame, except maybe PSU efficiency

However considering GTX 480 SLI would cost $940 at SALES price...we are looking for a cost efficient solution, that doesn't grossly exceed needs.

So for an avg. 42% gain in performance for an extra $190 seems a good compromise, if your wanting to get the highest performance for under $700

Please keep in mind this does NOT take into account other potential problems, such as SLI compatibility issues, however SLI/Crossfire has become so ubiquitous IMHO, that this is rarely a problem that always has a work around.

Well if spidif out and sound quility/playability is an issue then the rampage III formula should be a very attractive mobo as the audio on the board you have humed and hawed about is still just a realtek chip set while this board provides
    :SupremeFX X-Fi 2 Built-in 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    - EAX® Advanced™ HD 5.0
    - THX® TrueStudio PRO™
    - X-Fi® Xtreme Fidelity™
    - Creative ALchemy
    - Supports Blu-ray audio layer content protection
    - Supports Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
    - Supports Optical S/PDIF out ports on rear
    as opposed to
    DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
    DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC delivers exceptional 5.1 surround experience through the most common PC audio setups - your existing stereo speakers or headphones. In addition to virtual surround, “Bass enhancement” provides stronger low frequency bass sound, and “Voice clarification” provides clear human dialogue even with loud background sound. With these technologies, you may experience a better home-theater audio with ease.

notice they say may

along with:
    True USB 3.0 Support
    10X faster data rates!
    Experience ultra-fast data transfers at 4.8Gbps with USB 3.0—the latest connectivity standard. Built to connect easily with next generation components and peripherals, USB 3.0 transfers data 10X faster and is also backward compatible with USB 2.0 components.

True SATA 6Gb/s Support
    Experience the future of storage!
    Supporting next-generation Serial ATA (SATA) storage interface, this motherboard delivers up to 6.0Gb/s data transfer rates. Additionally, get enhanced scalability, faster data retrieval, double the bandwidth of current bus systems
    :Intel ICH10R controller
    6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
    Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller
    2 xExternal SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)

Marvell® 9128 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller
    2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
    these are similar features
    and in mho the board looks much sexier
    + even tho you are planing on 2 470s
    the board you are looking at provides:
    3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (at x16/x8/x8 or x16/x16/x1 mode
    while the formula mobo provides:
    3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 , support x16; x16/x16; x16/x8/x8 configurations
    which would allow you to add a 3rd 470 at a later time to boost performance even higher at slightly higher cost of 2 gtx480
    Foxx

Hot deals trading rules
    rig
    950 i7 core,evga ftw3 mobo,3x2 gigpc12000,1xevga480, 4 x 74 g raptors, 2- 500gb seagates,46inch lcd monitor max res 1920\1080,obsidian 800d

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    the audio on the board you have humed and hawed about is still just a realtek chip set
    Errr......don't know that I have "humed" and/or "hawed" (is that a west coast term?) about the P6X58D P, truth be told I'm not much of an audio buff anyway.

Besides, the on board audio chip set won't have much of an impact on me anyhow, since that spdif runs to an external header/mixer for my headsets surr sound.

I've certainly got nothing bad to say about the Rampage series, (in my OP I mentioned my last build being a Rampage II/i7920 build), but I build new rigs every ~2 yrs, or if new tech comes out I really want and I can find someone to buy my old build for a good price (whichever comes first really) So "later down the road" doesn't mean a third GPU for me, it means a new build.

But in the meantime between builds, I don't lurk the forums and sites keeping up with the latest and greatest (I'm foremost a gamer, not a PC enthusiast) So deferring to all you guys' opinion is very helpful for me.

But, pigeon holing myself with the same series boards doesn't benefit me as much as trying new stuff. (I SAY that but I also have not bought a NON ASUS mobo in like 10 yrs rofl)

And I would be lying if I said the idea of a (mostly) all blue, white and black color scheme didn't influence me. (my Gixxer1000 is that same color scheme)

And honestly, I've gotten SO much sh|t over the 470 SLI thing (my brother/friends love to critique my builds as well) that I'm about to just drop the extra $300 and go 480 SLI, but then people would just say

"If your gonna spend that much money, you may as well swing for the fences and go tri/quad 480s!"

Thank you Foxx, and everyone else for your insightful suggestions.

I'm going to go ahead and order Monday (to insure delivery the same week) and make sure I don't miss the GPU sales @ newegg.

You've all been tremendously helpful. What a great forum!
    Last edited by zeromajin; 10-20-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Be warned that there have been reports of SLI driver issues with the latest drivers. I second the option to go for a single 480 card.

----
    PC #1:

also see profile System Specs and Mods Rigs link
    ----
    PC #2: Lenovo X200t 7449-9EU
    Core 2 Duo SL9400 1.86Ghz
    Intel GS45 chipset - 4500MHD Graphics
    Corsair 2x2GB DDR3-1333 @ 1066 8-8-8-20
    Intel X25-V 40GB
    Wacom Penabled (only MS programs)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by JackVancouverBC View Post
    Be warned that there have been reports of SLI driver issues with the latest drivers. I second the option to go for a single 480 card.
    I've resigned myself to coughing up the $280 dif and just get 480s SLI, if there are driver issues I'll yank one of the mothers out