Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New i7 Build, Critics needed!

Ok so, I am just about to pull the trigger on that "checkout" button, and order all the components for my new i7 build.

I've reviewed TONS of parts and, I am just about ready to commit, but my final step is, of course, the ever-unforgiving peer review.

So here is my proposed line-up, and small explanations where I deem needed. Please feel free to provide suggestions/criticisms.

i7 950 CPU

[still the only reasonably priced i7 for performance/price ratio since next steps up are $600-$1000 for < 10% gain stock. And all 900 series easily reaching 4Ghz]

ASUS P6X58D Premium Mobo

[Agonizing STILL between this and Rampage III Extreme, P6X won out narrowly due to more mature BIOs options,my lack of needing extra PCI-E slots, and several scary DOA claims (R3E being a relatively new build). However this is where I am most open to outside opinion, as my last build was a Ram2 w/ i7-920]

Antec Twelve Hundred Case

[Superb cooling options for an all air system]

Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler (what can I say, the thing is the BEAST of air cooling. Reviews are claiming it to have dethroned Noctua)

[Still not convinced that water cooling is worth the cost when most all i7s can run a stable 4Ghz @ reasonable temps w/ a <$100 air cooling solution. Compared to $300-$500 custom liquid cooling. Corsair H50/H70 are a joke compared to the Noctua/Silver Arrow]

GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI

[This took quite some thought, GTX470 running SLI seems to to run as good, or even better in most benchmark test @1920x1080(all of my monitors native res) test VS Radeon HD 5970.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...tx470-sli.html

And since the GTX470s are on sale for $300 I can get = or > RadHD5970 performance for $100 less. Seems the best solution short of paying $1400 for RadHD5870 x2 Crossfire]

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) RAM (Coming from a 6 GIG build, I am wondering if 12 gigs will limit OC options???)

Antec CP-1000 1000W (To feed those HUNGRY GTX470s and keep stable and steady power for USB devices and CPU and gets a good bundle deal with ASUS mobos)

Crucial RealSSD C300 256 GIG SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM x2 Data Drives

Misc. fans and other superfluous items.

Thoughts, ideas, criticism and suggestions welcome please. Total cost ~ $3000.00 am willing to bend +/- couple hundred, but not willing to extend orders of magnitude in price. (I build systems every 2yrs or so, to suit my considerable needs, not to extend my epenis)

Thank you all in advance.
    Last edited by zeromajin; 10-19-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Re: New i7 Build, Critics needed!

Scratch the 600gb raptor, go with an SSD, either corsair force series or ocz vertex II

dont need the AX1200 (a little overkill for what your building)
    an ax850, or hx series would suffice
    dont really need 12gb of ram either, 6 is more than enough unless you're doing a lot of large scale video editing.

and a single geforce GTX 470 performance wise is in between a radeon hd5850 and hd5870, no real need for sli yet**.

that alone would save you about 1/3rd your costs.
    ..::J.S.L::..

Email: jsl@jslenterprises.net

Thanks!

I have already swapped the WD Raptor for a Crucial RealSSD C300 @128 gigs

Still not convinced 3-4 second load times are worth sacrificing the storage size, but they cost the same and I suppose I will have to make my swap to SSD at some point anyway.

I swapped AX1200 PSU for a Antec CP-1000 for half the price, and someone brought it to my attention that this PSU is somewhat custom to my case Antec 1200

I will however, remain with the GTX470 SLI and 12 GIGS of Ram.

I should have mentioned this in original post, but I play competitive online FPS, (mostly MW2 and L4D1/2)

And while I am playing I am also often recording and even streaming my gameplay live over Jtv and Ustream. So I am processing the game play images in up to 4 dif programs.

I currently run 6 gig Corsair ram and it will flux between 70-90% usage on memory during this setup, so I am just giving myself head room.

I am an engineer by trade (industrial not PC) and its a rule of thumb to keep a high load under 60-70% capacity for highest turn out and longevity (not that I won't sell this PC in another 1-2 years depending on new products and build a new one)

As mentioned the GTX 470 SLI'd is not going to give you that much more performance then a single, especially factoring in cost and power usuage.

Your monitor's refresh rate will limit your FPS to whatever its refresh rate is anyway.

12 GB of ram is way overkill. Unless you're a professional graphic designer.

Your monitor's refresh rate will limit your FPS to whatever its refresh rate is anyway.
    Only if you enable vsync.

12 GB of ram is way overkill. Unless you're a professional graphic designer.
    At 2 GB stick per bank its not that much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Only if you enable vsync.

At 2 GB stick per bank its not that much of an issue.
    First of all, this guys thread is asking for critique.
    Secondly, I am 100% correct and you, a moderator, have chosen to NITPICK, and in doing so you are quite wrong on BOTH points you tried to make.

Whether vsynch is enabled or not, on an LCD monitor all that can be displayed are the number of FPS the monitor is capable of showing (its refresh rate). The v-synching just eliminates "tears" by keeping the frames CONSISTENTLY at 60 fps (or whatever the rate is). If your video card, or gpu, is capable of 350 fps, all that can be displayed is 60 fps maximum. It may appear smoother if your actual rate is higher but all that is being DISPLAYED is the refresh rate.

My family has a photography business and 8 GB is often enough. (we have more then one pc). 12 GB is overkill for the average user or gamer. Having 6 slots full will limit overclocking as well, and limit memory timing values.

Is there anything else you'd like to critique?

This is incorrect, the refresh rate has no impact on FPS for the system.

That is what I was answering to.

So, no it wasn't a nitpick.

12 GB is overkill for the average user or gamer.
    From the OP.

(I build systems every 2yrs or so, to suit my considerable needs, not to extend my epenis)
    He's not the average user or gamer.

He's also not going for cyro-chilled box with four way sli either.

Having 6 slots full will limit overclocking as well, and limit memory timing values.
    Its more to do with parts then quantity.

Seen a fair number of builds with 6 slots not have an issue with overclock, but as with anything ymmv.

As mentioned the GTX 470 SLI'd is not going to give you that much more performance then a single, especially factoring in cost and power usuage.
    Would be a good idea to note single card in the same price range as a pair of GTX 470.

So lets drop the attitude and go back to the topic at hand.

I agree to scrap the Velociraptor, but go for a X25-M 80GB G2. Sandforce controllers are still buggy in my honest opinion and Intel is still the king of IOPS (which is more important for everyday use)

Edit: I see you got the Crucial. That is a LOT better bandwidth wise, but remember to use the Marvell SATA 6GB Controller when using that SSD.

----
    PC #1:

also see profile System Specs and Mods Rigs link
    ----
    PC #2: Lenovo X200t 7449-9EU
    Core 2 Duo SL9400 1.86Ghz
    Intel GS45 chipset - 4500MHD Graphics
    Corsair 2x2GB DDR3-1333 @ 1066 8-8-8-20
    Intel X25-V 40GB
    Wacom Penabled (only MS programs)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by game4ever View Post
    First of all, this guys thread is asking for critique.
    Secondly, I am ......
    I would suggest that consider watching how you write your responses. This site is here to try and help everyone, not to attack other members. I don't care who's right or who's wrong, just so long as everyone's responses are kept civilized.

Thank you for your response game4ever,

And I while I'm still getting heat for the GTX 470 and 12 gigs of ram

My monitors refresh rate is 120Hz so thats hardly a bottleneck point.

(I know that over 60 FPS really makes no dif, however having played the same games on Xbox and PC, L4D on 360 runs at 30 fps, and its PC conterpart plays much smoother at 60+ fps)

I currently run 6 gigs off DDR3, so its not as if I don't understand those values.

However like I posted before, GTX470 x1 and 6 Gigs would be plenty if all I did was PLAY my games.

I enjoy recording and streaming my games live over the internet

So the games image is being processed by the game, my VH Screen capture software, Fraps recording software, and Flash Media encoder software simultaneously in real time. 2 running in native res, and 2 resized for broadcasting

At my current 6 gigs, performing this feat requires a flux of 70-90% capacity, so the logical step would be to double that and keep it at a manageable 35-45%
    Last edited by zeromajin; 10-19-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    He's not the average user or gamer.

He's also not going for cyro-chilled box with four way sli either.

Would be a good idea to note single card in the same price range as a pair of GTX 470.
    Thanks for the observation, the GTX 470 SLI is actually a modestly creative way of getting "top-o-d-line" performance for less then the cost of the latest and greatest. (Correction : I listed RadHD5870 when I meant the RadHD5970 in OP, and I am a dummy for having JUST figured out I could go back and edit that....)

So for the same or slightly less price of 1 RadHD 5970 I can have better performance, as demo'd in the link provided in OP.

Thank you all for your input, I'll gladly curb my ego to achieve the best build for the price range. And public debate and peer review is the best way to weed out the mistakes.
    Last edited by zeromajin; 10-19-2010 at 05:02 AM.

How did you come up with the RAM usage for your current rig? Vista (and probably Win7) cache data differently then WinXP and prior Windows did. Vista is designed to use all available RAM for caching much like Linux has been doing for years. Thus when you look at your memory usage it'll always appear to be nearly maxed out.

It you want to get a better idea of how much RAM your applications are using you're going to need to memory usage for each individual application within the Task Manager.

As for the case I have 2 Antec 1200s,a HAF-932 and a CoolerMaster HAF-X

I really would consider the HAF-X as it has hot swappable trays plus trays for SSD's if you go that way.

If you turn them sideways with the covers off they look like they were made by the same manufacturer so there is not much else different other than the Hot Swap/SSD trays
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    How did you come up with the RAM usage for your current rig? Vista (and probably Win7) cache data differently then WinXP and prior Windows did. Vista is designed to use all available RAM for caching much like Linux has been doing for years. Thus when you look at your memory usage it'll always appear to be nearly maxed out.

It you want to get a better idea of how much RAM your applications are using you're going to need to memory usage for each individual application within the Task Manager.
    I mostly use my G15 Keyboards HUD to monitor my CPU/RAM usage during game play. Honestly I don't know where it derives its values directly from.

I run Win7 Home 64bit, and I only observe this type of spike in mem usage when I am performing the multi task mentioned.

Right now I have Chrome, iTunes, and Steam Community running and I'm looking at it reading 31% Ram 0-1% CPU, not a 70% valley and 90% peak

I opened Task Manager and 31% seems to jive with the values reflected by Task M.

Instead of two 470s why not one 480?
    Another possible choice for the mother board is the evga x58ftw3 it offers everything that the asus board does minus a spidif out.It over clocks very well .I have had my 950 up to 4 ghz [1.28 v] so far running seti for 24 hrs without a crash .It is water cooled with swiftechs new h20 x30 edge. temps on low fan settings are around 50-55 c on the cores and 43c on the cpu.
    Makes for a very nice quiet setup
    Foxx

Hot deals trading rules
    rig
    950 i7 core,evga ftw3 mobo,3x2 gigpc12000,1xevga480, 4 x 74 g raptors, 2- 500gb seagates,46inch lcd monitor max res 1920\1080,obsidian 800d