Thread: KVM woes

KVM woes

Sorry if this isn't the most appropriate forum.

Last night, I setup 3 machines on an IOGear GCS614A

Unfortunately, I ran in to a couple of problems.

• On one of the machines, it was previously hooked up to a monitor at 1280x960, but it's now hooked up to an LCD that I guess doesn't support 1280x960 as it complains that the resolution isn't supported. I would think it'd default the video for me, but instead it just sits at a black screen.

I do not have a monitor at my disposal that supports 1280x960 that I can swap in, change the resolution, and then put the machine back on the KVM.

Is there a way that I can remotely change the resolution? I think my only other option is to take the video card out, move it to another slot, and then turn it back on in the hopes that it will re-detect and default the video settings.
    • On one of the machines, I had to use a USB-PS/2 converter as the machine only has USB ports, and the KVM only accepts PS/2. To my surprise, this convert accepts both PS/2 and only uses 1 USB; however, when plugged in to the KVM, I can only use the keyboard. Both devices do get detected, though. I have another USB-PS/2 converter, and I was going to try just using 2 converters.

I appreciate any help or ideas.

Re: KVM woes

The only other option I see for fixing your resolution problem would be to boot into SafeMode and delete your video drivers. Then reboot and reinstall. That said, its probably still easier to swap monitors to get the video settings correct. Also remember to set your refresh rate properly for the LDC monitor.

I have found the newer video drivers like to 'automate' settings for you. So if you unplug a monitor during boot up in a dual configuration it automagically reconfigures your desktop which in turns can play havoc with some applications. I use a dual monitor set up, but sometimes I unplug one and plug in my projector to watch movies. I have learned not to mess around with this while the computer is booting as the Nvidia drivers will mess things up (in Windows and in Linux).

Another thing you could try, is to set the KVM switch to the computer you're having video problems with, and then boot it up. Do not switch the KVM to a different computer until this one has fully booted. Then switch it to the next computer and boot it up.

KVMs are suppose to transmit all connection data to each computer they are plugged into at all times. But in reality I found most of them do a bad job at this. I've had a couple different KVMs but have discarded them now as they kept causing issues left right and center. Losing mouse control, sticky keyboard keys, video quality issues (probably more due to the extra cables but still annoying).

I see. I'll try some things. I was able to find these two options, but have yet been able to test them.

One of them is Qres and the other is Multires.

Hopefully, they'll allow me to remotely and forcibly change the resolution of the monitor.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    On one of the machines, it was previously hooked up to a monitor at 1280x960, but it's now hooked up to an LCD that I guess doesn't support 1280x960 as it complains that the resolution isn't supported. I would think it'd default the video for me, but instead it just sits at a black screen.
    some LCD will allow you to display non-native resolution by stretching the displayed image. maybe you can do that to change the display settings into something that your LCD monitor will support. i would play with the refresh rates of the LCD monitor if that doesnt work. but do it briefly as it can damage your hardware.

I was able to overcome the problem through the use of DameWare to remote connect, change the resolution, and use MultiRes to forcibly change the resolution on startup.

Oddly, even after changing the resolution, MultiRes had to be used to force the resolution to change as it continue to default to the non-stadard res without it.